Notices
Scion xD Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Bike Racks and Hitches

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 05:45 PM

Default Bike Racks and Hitches

I know there is a thread about this but it was all quite old and I wanted to know if anyone had any new information. I just started up biking and want to be able to take my bike with me anywhere fast. What is the best way to attach a bike to my car? I was looking for the ability to take two bikes for those times I go with a friend or girlfriend. Anyone have any ideas. I like the idea of something on the back of my car better but it looks like it would be a lot cheaper to get a roof rack. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:09 PM
SL Member

I have the kind of bike rack that goes on the back of the car. It was about $20 and you can tell why, but it does work fine for two bikes. If it is just me and the bike I put it in the car because that is actually faster than putting the rack on the car and the bike on the rack. But if you want a cheap option like that just go down to walmart or someplace like that.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:51 AM

how safe is it? haha. i want something that would be somewhat permanent since i do ride quite a bit. and taking my tires off and on everytime is quite the hassle.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Either you can buy a truck/hatch mounted bike rack or get a hitch then a bike rack. If you don't mind the possibility of scratching your paint, then get the truck/hatch mounted style. They're cheaper, sturdy and can hold at least two bikes.

A hitch is pricey (~$130) and as well as the bike rack you get. The one I was looking at was $130, but now they don't sell them anymore so I have to find something else, OR sell my hitch.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:39 PM

Chels, where did you get the hitch installed. I called the dealer and they dont sell them. And, can you give me some links fo the truck thing that does not use a hitch?
Old 06-06-2009, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I bought a Yakima roof rack... Works great! And if you aren't fooling around while you are loading the bike you won't scratch the paint. Cost me about $300 dollars though...
Old 06-06-2009, 08:19 PM
SL Member

The one I have is safe. I have had one and two bikes on it many times. I ride twice a week but I dont like leaving the rack on. For me it is faster to take the tire off and put the bike in the car than to attach the bike to the rack.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:13 PM

it makes me wish i bought an xB now. they make hitches for it. my bike does not seem to fit in it to well. its a specialized rockhopper, 21".
Old 06-07-2009, 02:19 PM
SL Member

I have a large frame Kona Stinky and take the rear tire off. There is really only one way that it will go in easy, and it took a little bit of practice before I remembered how to just slide it in. I put hte front tire in first towards the passenger seat. You dont have to, but sliding the passenger seat up until the bike is in makes it easier. I decided not to, but I was considering taking the tray over the spare tire out of the car. I didnt try putting the bike in there but it seems like there is a ton more room wiht it out.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A few different companies make hitches for the xD. I chose Curt, because it uses better hardware and comes with a ball-mount -- plus, I have used Curt hitches on other vehicles and they are higher quality than others. As Chels mentioned, it costs about $125-130. Installation is pretty simple. No drilling or anything... it uses existing bolt holes.

A hitch-mounted bike rack will cost you between $40 and $200. So, you could have a hitch and a bike rack for less than $200. Uhaul sells and installs the Curt hitch for our cars... so if you don't feel confident installing your own, there's another option. Uhaul doesn't charge that much to install it, either.

Check www.etrailer.com for both the hitch and the bike racks.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blackgem
Chels, where did you get the hitch installed. I called the dealer and they dont sell them. And, can you give me some links fo the truck thing that does not use a hitch?
I haven't been able to put mine on yet, my car is still at the body shop, but like mcbrew said, it'll be painless installing. Mostly because I'll work my magic and find someone to install it for me :D

Dealer doesn't sell them for the xD since they would rather you get the xB or higher to get a hitch.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Installation is pretty easy... but make sure you have a big torque wrench. The biggest bolts go in at 150 foot pounds! There are times when you can do a sloppy job... but with a trailer hitch, I recommend using the proper torque with all hardware.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I ride all the time. Use a Thule roof rack and two bike rails (pelotons I think). Easy on/off, through have to remove the front wheel. I've never liked the hatch mounted racks, loss of rear visibility is my concern there.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:47 PM
SL Member

Im moving so I took my rear seat out of the car to get more room. I can fit my bike in the car easy with both tires on. I might just keep it this way. I hardly ever have more than one passenger anyway.