Notices
Scion xD Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Car broken into, window seal problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member

Default Car broken into, window seal problem?

My car was broken into a week ago. The drivers side front window was broken. I had the glass replaced by a company recommended by my insurance. The glass was replaced, and now when the window is up completely, there is a small gap on the outside between the outside glass and the rubber seal that sits on top of the bottom half of the door. I had the glass company come out and look at it and was told that the door itself may have been slightly bent when the window was broken. I am concerned about the gap because water and debris can get in there, causing premature rust or failure of the window motor or other electrical components inside the door. The glass installer said there is no problem, because the drain holes in the bottom will release any moisture that enters the door, and that the gap didn't matter because water passes behind that seal anyway.

Has anyone else had a problem like this on their scion, or another car? I am considering having the dealership look at it, or perhaps a body shop. The door doesn't appear to be bent at all. I think the new window may not align perfectly with the door because my car's body parts may have slightly changed shape after multiple winters and summers. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 08-21-2010, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You need to talk to your insurance company. If they're the ones that had it fixed but it was not fixed properly, it's still their problem.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

i would take it to a dealer and have them figure out whats wrong and have them write up a work order and turn it into your insurance company
Old 09-04-2010, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member

I took off the door panel and tried to adjust the window in it's sill. Now it closes tight against the bottom seal. However, it seems that the window is slightly out of track because when it first starts to come up it seems to shift toward the front of the door slightly. It stays in the track along the back side of the door, but barely. Also, it seems that the window takes longer to roll up than the others. I wonder if the new window is molded to the original factory specs and over the last 2.5 years the door has changed shape from all the cold and warm weather.

I will probably take it to the dealer and have them look it over.

Has anyone ever had a window broken and replaced it and had fitment issues like this? If so, I wonder if this result is what happens when you put a new window in a used car. I choose not to have the dealership do the work because the company who replaced the window(Glass America) was recommended by my insurance company. They told that whoever did the work, the glass would come from a company called Pinkerton because they are the only auto glass manufacturer in the US. If the dealership did the work, they would buy the glass from Pinkerton and etch the Toyota info on the glass, and most likely charge more. Does anyone know if this is true?
Old 09-05-2010, 08:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

I had my drivers side window shattered out and the glass company that came out and replaced it did a great job...They removed my door panel and vaccumed out all the excess glass and cleaned everything up...The replacement window fits fine with no problems...
Old 09-06-2010, 04:56 AM
5 Year Member

Well, after my last post my window has digressed to not sealing properly again. I plan on calling the glass company back and having them come out and fix the problem. If they don't, I will get my money back and have the work done somewhere else. This is annoying.

I am glad to hear that a new window can be installed without the issues I am having.