Notices
Scion xD Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

LED Tail Lamps (not the factory TYC)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default LED Tail Lamps (not the factory TYC)

A company approached me and wanted to create Scion LED tail lamps.

I'm (personally) not too thrilled about the TYC design (top half is awesome, bottom is... yea).

I just wanted to see if there is any interest in getting this project serious. The price point is a little bit less than the TYC. I am leaning more toward a projector head lamp set w/ angel eyes =D But let's start slowly.

Also, these products are DOT approved =O This looks like a promising venture for us to engage in.

Here is a sample Civic corner lamp he left for me. The quality looks very good... I just can't find a Honda to plug it into LOL.

Please leave any feedback/concerns/etc

Old 09-12-2008, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks pretty nice, and stealthy. of course, the scion design would be structured completely different, i think it would look great if it was just as subtle and sleak as this one.

and projector headlights.... omg... would they be able to do that for us?
Old 09-13-2008, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd go for some definitely! Put me on the list.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wheres the turn/reverse? I'd prefer those in multiple led or bulb. it looks like theres only one for that purpose if im looking at it correctly.
I would be down though, especially if it were to bring the companies interest towards aftermarket headlight options.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ thats because the picture above is a corner parking light for a civic. the idea is to have a full SST/reverse assembly for the xD that would possibly look similar to that color and design scheme.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, that's the civic corner lamp. A -sidemarker-ish piece is on the side of the lamp and the LED are amber.

Yea, I wanted to start with tail lamp options since they are already measuring them. They will send over a sample sketch of the LED pattern before going into production. It's our chance to actually help design it to our taste! LOL. If the first batch is successful, I will request they research doing a headlamp for us (projector w/ parking LEDs similar to the Audi R8... sound good?).

It's not the most functional part of the car we're getting some back up on, but it's a start. The R&D is minimal. THey basically buy the OE part and deconstruct it. Once that's done, they design the lighting pattern. I'll post pics of the Tundra installation once it's in.

The blacked out area is also available in different patterns... I'd personally go blackout (bsp here), but they said chrome (eww) and carbon fiber finishes will be available.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pickledchang
^^^ thats because the picture above is a corner parking light for a civic. the idea is to have a full SST/reverse assembly for the xD that would possibly look similar to that color and design scheme.
lol just realized that,

as far as R&D i hope they at least make sure there is good light output. I've bought angel eye projectors on my Corolla way back and it killed any light output because they used a small fog light bulb with the magnified projector lens and it was terrible. So basically it would cool if you could push them to design it to use the stock halogens at least.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i am interested!

i feel the same way about the TYC's; top is awesome and thats about it

ill be watching the thread to see what comes of this
Old 09-16-2008, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and hopefully they will be cheaper than $300, lol. i wonder how they would look if the black part in the picture above could be color matched to the car.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am in the same boat here to!!!!!

I am so in for this, I to hope this turns out better then Toyota "TYC"

I love the TYC "LED's" Only. the botom half are very reminisent of the Blah feelings i got when I First saw the stuped idea of ok lets just put a cercle and split it in half.... Booo.....

I actualy was thinking it would have looked so much nicer if they would have made the stock likghts houseing black, and put LED's in the top Stop lamp portion, and in the smale amber blinker portion only. So Red LED's for the stop and Amber LED's for the blinker's just for leagle puruse with easy accusse to be able to change the amber LED's if so wished by thouse of us that mod. Oh and of coures a full clear lense like the TYC's No Red Lense like stock lights....

If they could keep any red reflecters out of the light them selfs it would be so nice to and just have them make a slick ad on to stick to the side fo the car. seeing as how we already have a red reflecter for the back portion. we would only have to ad a red reflecter to the side.

One more thing i wish the ight in the ambre blinker portion would extend into the extra crome area right next to the blinker. So reflect into it like the blikers on the side mirrors do.

Anyway i am rambling, that was my $0.02 (Fingers crossed)
Old 09-19-2008, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It needs the reflectors to be DOT approved.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry, my bad. The Tundra Tail Lamps are DOT approved. This is a older piece they made. All their new stuff has amber (front) and red (rear) reflectors.

Good news also... they do make projector headlamps.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds great. keep us in the loop on wether this is going to go foward, would like something different for the tails.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what are they charging on average for the projector headlights?
Old 09-26-2008, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any updates on these tails?
Old 09-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Didn't get a price on the headlamp estimate yet.

Haven't received the tails yet either. They were shipping from overseas (he said Taiwan) and he's personally bringing it to me. Pics once they are in.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, so theyve already made a prototype of the taillights then?

are the projector headlights sounding like a project thats likely going to happen?
Old 09-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pickledchang
wow, so theyve already made a prototype of the taillights then?

are the projector headlights sounding like a project thats likely going to happen?
Sorry, may have confused the kits. They were sending a 07+ Tundra (completed) kit so I can check the quality and fitment. Once I'm good, we'll be moving into Scion territory.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ah. good news either way! are the scions lights going to be similair in look/color scheme to the tundras?
Old 09-27-2008, 01:33 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quality looks awesome on the Tundra set. We'll be doing test fitting/function pictures on Tuesday or Wednesday. This looks to be very promising.

The concept for the tail light.
"Angel Eye" type strands are there for the "park light" while the LED is strictly used for the brake/turn signal.

The price on the kit is also very promising. The Tundra is a 3-piece (left, right, and center lamps) and will retail for about $320. The xD 2pc will likely retail at an MSRP of $280. We'll see when it all comes to light though!

Pics... time for me to get a new P&S camera... My 5+ year old Sony isn't cutting it anymore lol

Quick Reply: LED Tail Lamps (not the factory TYC)