Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Engine Rattle on Cold Start Up

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member

Default Engine Rattle on Cold Start Up

Hey guys...been gone from the forums for quite some time (got some pics and vids I need to post with stuff I've done to the car but that's for another thread )

Anyways, I recently hit over 60,000 miles and run into my first non-warranty issue :'(

I've noticed that when I have a cold start up I hear a weird rattle and vibration coming from the engine every few seconds before the engine heats up. When the engine is warm, the problem totally disappears. If I go out and grab a bite to eat and get back in to start the car with the engine still being warm, I hear no buzz.

I was going to take a video of this to show you guys to see if anyone else is having this issue but have been real busy with work and haven't had the time for it yet.

I've done some research online and found that others have reported this problem:
http://repairpal.com/brief-knocking-...d-start-up-695

According to that link it seems as though I need to replace my camshaft timing gear assembly with an "upgraded" one...Is there an upgraded version available or do I just need to replace it?

I then found our service manual in the forums and downloaded it. After taking a look it seems like something that's doable for a guy like me with basic mechanical skills (I can do brakes, oil, intake/exhaust stuff but I've never ventured on the engine itself).

Anyways is anyone else having this vibration issue?
Is it something I should be worried about or just leave alone?
Is the camshaft timing gear something I just should not touch myself?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

*Edited some spelling mistakes :]

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-28-2018 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Moderator
Old 07-16-2012, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The camshaft timing gear is the gear on the end of the camshaft that turns the camshaft connected to your head. It's like a $50 part and one bolt. But, you have to take off your belt and replace that as well. The only reason I'd suggest you get help is because of the timing itself. You are going to have to re-time it if you get a different cam gear. I don't know why they are suggesting that though. When it's cold, leave it run and go under your hood and put your ear near the block, see where its coming from. If the noise is from your head or block or by the timing belt. If it's your valve train, that's no big deal, but either way shouldn't need to replace the cam gear. if anything, you'd have to replace your camshaft itself first. I don't know. Get a video of the sound, a good video, no camera phone sh*t. Let me know if you isolate the problem, I can help a little more.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

S-SB-0046-09 for the noise when I got mine fixed couple of years ago.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the reply guys.

criminaltc, I tried to get a video with my phone but just like you said, pretty sh**ty quality...I've put my gopro to charge and will hopefully get you a video when it happens again if you'd like to hear the noise.

ramrat, I looked up the TSB you just listed and found the other thread where you talked about it. Sounds like the exact problem I'm having. Unfortunately I'm just at like 60,500 miles and don't think the dealership will do any warranty work on it.

I'll see if I can talk to someone at the dealer anyways. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:37 PM

so were you able to fix this?
Old 09-19-2013, 03:29 PM

I got a same problem with my 2008 xD ... Im going to let them fix this.. and the estimated cost is $680.73!
Old 10-16-2013, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member

Hey sorry about the delayed response guys, I never got any email notifications telling me about the replies to the thread.

I never got this fixed to date. For some odd (and good) reason this problem has pretty much gone away. Maybe it was a weird hot weather thing or something to do with the oil I put in during that 60k oil change.

So to sum up what I got from this experience: Scion was awesome as far as customer service went. I called them and told them I was just over 60k and out of the warranty period. They told me if I could front the bill at first and have the dealership pretty much write up that it was the same problem as that TSB then they'd pay me for the repairs.

I think I was also estimated like $600 or $800 total and didn't want to pay it so I kept putting it off. I got busy with work and didn't have a chance to visit the dealership because I needed my car.

I then noticed the problem kinda stopped. So all in all, I never got it resolved but don't experience this to this day.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Low on oil can do that as well because it takes longer to get the oil that is in there circulated throughout the motor. Hence, knocking for a bit longer than usual. So if you were to get an oil change in between all of this and just didn't realize that may have fixed it, then there you go.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:10 PM

Hello,

Sorry to bring back to life an old thread but I am experiencing this same issue on my 2014 xD I just purchased. I purchased this vehicle with only 15K miles as a certified pre-owned vehicle. I know this bulletin is only applicable for 2008-09 model xDs but I am experiencing the same exact issue on my 2014 xD and I strongly suspect it is related to the camshaft gear assembly (VVT-I).

While this issue was supposedly fixed with newer models, I have a feeling this also impacts 2010 on up Scion xDs. My vehicle is still under warranty and I have some time to wait before taking it in for diagnosis. I also expect the dealership to be unhelpful as there is no TSB available for newer model xDs. I would like to know if others are also experiencing this issue on model year 2010's or newer. If so, I wonder if Toyota can investigate to see if newer models can also be included in this bulletin.