Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 12:01 AM

Default rattle

I live in MN, and when it gets really cold out (15 degrees and colder) I get a rattle/ squeak that sounds to be coming from the center front of the dash, and if anything closer to the passenger side area.
Anyone else ever experience this, or know a solution other than moving to Arizona ?
Old 12-03-2014, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's a cheap car. You cannot avoid this.

My advice? Use the In-Dash-Noise-Cancellation-Device, aka, the Radio.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:36 PM

gee thanks for the in depth reply.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No problem.

But seriously, what did you expect the answer to be? The cars are cheap, they're made cheap out of cheap material. Short of securing everything with screws and RTV, the car is going to make those sounds.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Basebllstar
No problem.

But seriously, what did you expect the answer to be? The cars are cheap, they're made cheap out of cheap material. Short of securing everything with screws and RTV, the car is going to make those sounds.
Well my original post started it only does it when it's cold, when it's warm no squeaks or rattles. So I was hoping someone may have had this same issue and would reply with some help out idea. Not some bull____. But a person like yourself just can't help yourself and give an obvious reply. So, thanks for nothing.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LostTiny
Well my original post started it only does it when it's cold, when it's warm no squeaks or rattles. So I was hoping someone may have had this same issue and would reply with some help out idea. Not some bull____. But a person like yourself just can't help yourself and give an obvious reply. So, thanks for nothing.
I'm sensing you don't understand the properties of physics.

As things cool they condense and as they heat up, they expand. That's why we don't throw spray paint cans into fire, because the already condensed gasses want to expand as the temperature rises. Normally that would be fine, but the gasses are held inside of a fixed volume. This increases pressure until it explodes. All because matter expands when it gets excited.

The same can be applied to metal or plastic. As the temperature drops, the metals and plastics begin to shrink ever so slightly causing things to rub differently than they did when they were warm and expanded. This new cub creates vibrations which we know as sound.

Luxury cars tend to be made better, with better materials that handle this expansion/contraction or have special dampeners built in to combat it. You however bought a scion. A scion is not a luxury car. A scion does not have the special dampeners.

I suspect you had an inkling of the problem since your solution of moving to Arizona (a very warm place) would fix the problem. But now you know what is happening, why it's happening and how to (theoretically) fix it. If moving to Arizona is out of the realm of possibility, I suggest maybe buying a nicer car. Then maybe you will leave this forum and start asking stupid questions on another forum.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:19 PM

Default really

Now, I'm sticking around. Would like my address? Your obviously in liver with me when you say such wonderful words of endearment.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LostTiny
Now, I'm sticking around. Would like my address? Your obviously in liver with me when you say such wonderful words of endearment.
Yes. I liver you.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Basebllstar
Yes. I liver you.
So how nice is your mother's basement you're living in? She cool with you having company over? I sense a lust fest. As you just can't help yourself to reply back. As I can't as you complete me.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No basements here, as I live at the beach. My apartment is really nice, however. It even has a bowling alley.