Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Exhaust wraps is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Exhaust wraps is it worth it?

SO this is just a thought, I tell my self when I fart out the cash for the RPM set up, I will have the headers wrapped and some of the mid-pipe...what do you guys see as a benefits...I know pro drag strip guys do this kind of stuff and YES i know we are not dragster but we are spirited drives .
OH and one more thing, do you think is would help the intake temps resulting in cooler air flow to the motor?
Thanks guys.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The rpm has a ceramic coating on it. The wrap may help a bit, but I wouldn't do it. With the rpm header being steal (rust) the wrap would be prone to collect moisture and allow it to sit on the header when not at temperature. The ceramic coating is supposed to help the exhaust gas retain its heat longer so it could flow better. Kind of like the wrap. That's just what I think though.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nateson
The rpm has a ceramic coating on it. The wrap may help a bit, but I wouldn't do it. With the rpm header being steal (rust) the wrap would be prone to collect moisture and allow it to sit on the header when not at temperature. The ceramic coating is supposed to help the exhaust gas retain its heat longer so it could flow better. Kind of like the wrap. That's just what I think though.
Some years ago, I had some headers and wrapped them, it helps them retain the heat so they maintain the velocity of exhaust flow. My particular setup ended up with cracks in the headers due to too much heat buildup from the wraps.. the ceramic coating is the way to go and provides the flow benefits without the cracking.. that's if its done properly.. skip the wrap if u have the coating.. IMO..