Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

JE Custom Intake Manifold, CAI, etc

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default JE Custom Intake Manifold, CAI, etc

Well, after months of design and testing... it is what it is. JE designed an intake manifold and modified an Injen CAI to go with it. After some gains with the first design, they thought a smaller plenum and longer runners would yield more power... alas, it lost power so we put the 1st version back on and called it a day. The attached dyno also includes the NST pulley and my (now quieter) 2.5 custom stainless exhaust. As the numbers were a little dissapointing, my guess is that the mani will not go into production. I had planned to have them also do custom long-tube headers and catless dp but (which, in a Lotus they did, produced nearly 15hp)... but my BMW 1M will be here in a couple of weeks and I will be spending my doe modding it instead. I'm keeping the xD (I love our little car), but as this will now be my wife's car and she couldn't care less about getting more power if it = louder, power wise, I'm done. However, my brakes are shot so I just ordered some Rotora rotors and Hawk ceramic pads.
Attached Thumbnails JE Custom Intake Manifold, CAI, etc-1.jpg   JE Custom Intake Manifold, CAI, etc-5.jpg   JE Custom Intake Manifold, CAI, etc-2.jpg   JE Custom Intake Manifold, CAI, etc-3.jpg  
Old 05-08-2011, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default More pics

Here's a better look at the modified Injen CAI that tucks nicely behind the bumper. A pic of the 2nd version of the mani that lost power but you can see the type of work JE can do, really great people. The exhaust, and... my new baby which I should have later this month.
Attached Thumbnails JE Custom Intake Manifold, CAI, etc-4.jpg   JE Custom Intake Manifold, CAI, etc-12.jpg   JE Custom Intake Manifold, CAI, etc-66.jpg   JE Custom Intake Manifold, CAI, etc-9.jpg   JE Custom Intake Manifold, CAI, etc-13.jpg  

Old 05-08-2011, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, forgot the dyno sheet...
Attached Thumbnails JE Custom Intake Manifold, CAI, etc-xd-w-custom-mani-cai-pulley-exhaust.jpg  
Old 05-08-2011, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know I think I still want one. I mean it looks like it looses power above 4.9k rpm, but gains pretty good tq around 7 ftlbs at 3200. So there are gains below 5k rpm, where my daily driving maintains. Who should I talk to?
Oh, and congrats on the new car. Those are sweet!
Old 05-09-2011, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I was a little disappointed but, I guess a little down low is better than nothing. Maybe this is why no one has made a mani for our xD, not an easy task. You should talk to James if you're interested, he's the owner. And thanks, really excited about the baby-M - already got a full sponsorship from CP-E and if I take delivery on schedule, we're hoping to have the first modded 1M and hopefully that'll mean some more sponsors before press... we'll see... I'm sure plenty of other guys have the same idea.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If James does not intend to make any more, would you be willing to sell yours? (doesn't hurt to ask) Also why did they go with a smaller plenum for the longer runners?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mmmm, I'll think on it... I paid a boat-load for it...I'm almost embarrassed to say how much.

James says that NA cars typically do better with a smaller plenum but longer runners (bigger plenum for turbo cars). With our car there's not much room to play with runners so the 2nd version used longer but folded runners. But, for whatever reason, it lost power so it was scrapped. After flogging it while doing some errands today, one thing I noticed is that the new mani was really hot, maybe that's normal but I just checked it an hour later, still really hot... wonder if heat is an issue. I don't know, I only know what I read in car mags and forums... and only understand about half of that!
Old 05-09-2011, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you for the insight. Is your car an auto by any chance?
Old 05-09-2011, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup
Old 05-09-2011, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look at it like this, at least this shows that the OE Toyota unit is a fairly good design.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL, guess you're right.

Last edited by ohcrap; 06-20-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry to hear that dude. but atlas you have a nice beamer coming . But thats without a tune right? if you ever consider selling it. Let me know. Maybe we can work something out. I will try to continue modding this little box and still give the 2zr some hope
Old 05-10-2011, 03:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xD_kidd91
sorry to hear that dude. but atlas you have a nice beamer coming . But thats without a tune right? if you ever consider selling it. Let me know. Maybe we can work something out. I will try to continue modding this little box and still give the 2zr some hope
True dat! And all though I probably won't mod my xD much more, I do love it and will keep checking in now and then. (I'm "Ohcrap" on 1-Addicts too !)
Old 05-10-2011, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha cool beans! and thanks again
Old 05-13-2011, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I've been communicating with James Evans from JE, and here's what he said.

Hello, I took a look at the thread and figured I would let you guys know that your comparing the wrong runs. The run showing the high top end gain is the new manifold. Which is why this manifold would be well suited for turbo. The lower more rounded dyno plot was the stock manifold. The gains were all on the top end with this setup. It would be nice to test one more design change that we have, but I would want to try this on a manual trans and not the auto. I think this AT setup is skewing the number a little. I think it could be mass produced for under $1000, but we would have to make ten or more to make it that cheap. We, "JE" do a lot of R&D and testing for a company called "Sikky", these guys would be the ones mass producing these manifolds should they decide to. I think they would probably want to test this final design change first before doing so and it would need to be on an automatic. We would have to find someone local to maryland willing to buy this manifold and offer up there car for a before and after dyno comparison. If this goes well, it could go into production but based on the gains this current manifold would really be sold and marketed as a turbo manifold. That is very interesting that the manifold is listed as the same part as those other cars. I had no idea. If it could be sold to them as well it might convince the powers that be at Sikky to invest some more time and money into it. Steve was kind enough to put up some money initially to build this manifold, but our combined design time and CNC time is ten times what steve has in it. Which is why we are at a crossroads if we want to try one more time, who knows....as they say, third times a charm?

James R Evans
President/ CEO
JE Import Performance, Inc
PH: 410-686-5111
Fax: 410-686-8080
8303 D Pulaski Highway
Baltimore, MD 21237
www.jeimportperformance.com

I want one, but it looks like we need another good soul to step forward from Maryland. If this product could be marketed to other vehicles with the same manifold I'm sure we could secure 10+ people(1.8 Corolla, Matrix, XD, Pontiac Vibe). So is any one game?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mines a manual ... and your saying we need to give more $$$ to find out if we can get more ponies out og this intake? I can hit up the corolla ppl and see if anyone is interested. and didn't they have crap's xd for months before they handed it back to them .. btw how much more we tlkn about
Old 05-13-2011, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did they ever show a pic of dynateks intake design? Maybe je can kinda get the idea nd copy it lol
Old 05-13-2011, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They shud make us cams nd pistons nd I'm deff. Down lol
Old 05-13-2011, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im in a 5spd, and even though im in northern VA ill make a drive if they are really in need. only thing is this is my DD so i cant hand my car over for days lol. but anything that could potentially give the xD more parts and powuh is fine by me.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm. Jst about 45 mins away but yea they looking for an auto. So how much power they make again? I man thats without injectors and tune

Quick Reply: JE Custom Intake Manifold, CAI, etc