Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

power underated on xD?? look here for the reality

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default power underated on xD?? look here for the reality

click link

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...281218#3281218

my day at the strip, check back for videos
Old 03-17-2008, 06:32 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

The two people driving those Si's cant drive. Both of those generations should have no problem beating an XD. But you possibly could have a freak motor
Old 03-17-2008, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea it sux that they bought $21k civics and cant get them to run faster than a lil Scion. Probably paying out the azz for insurance too. I did race an RSX-s and he drove just fine and beat me by 3-4 lengths.
I'm REALLY tempted to put a small squeeze on my xD and put in in the 14's. $600 spent, 14's gained no prob.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like the xD more and more every day. I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw these cars and thought they had potential. high 15s in a stock D sounds pretty damn good. I'd love to see what a turboed D could do.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:38 PM

I reckon that the XD motor is detuned... I think it will handle boost well.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm pretty sure you can achive high 15's on that car.

I've run 16.3 on my Yaris TS ( This is the 1.8L enginge), pretty much the same car as an xD and this is on some pretty bad conditions high altitud, and humidity, full car weight, 17" wheels and the Trac Control on (You can not switch it off on my car)

Under the right circunstances a high 15's is totally possible.

About the actual power of the car, Richard Holdner (the guy behind the intake manifold) show a baseline dyno of 119WHP. And the TQ numbers were right above that If I remember correctly.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:23 AM

I test drove the xD yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting it to be a shade quicker than a Prius. I tested a stick shift and it quickly brought back memories of my previous Mitsubishi Eclipse GT. They felt very similar in acceleration, though the xD felt a little frail as compared to the Eclipse. Also, the riding position is very different from all the cars that I have owned.

I will have a hard time keeping the mpg over the recommended 27 in the city once I own it!
Old 04-01-2008, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Shek
I test drove the xD yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting it to be a shade quicker than a Prius. I tested a stick shift and it quickly brought back memories of my previous Mitsubishi Eclipse GT. They felt very similar in acceleration, though the xD felt a little frail as compared to the Eclipse. Also, the riding position is very different from all the cars that I have owned.

I will have a hard time keeping the mpg over the recommended 27 in the city once I own it!
I drive mine just like I do my 99 GSX, I still get over 35mpg regularly .
Old 05-31-2008, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok I finally had a chance today to dyno my xD at work. Our dyno is a Dyno Dynamics. 120.7 whp and 118 ft. lbs. after 3 pulls. What is really impressive is the torque curve, it ia flat, the dual VVT-I works wonders. @ 2500 rpm ur already above 110 ft lbs.
I then removed the factory air box and relpaced with $30 auto-zone cone filter and the #'s jumped to 127.8whp and 123 ft lbs! rather impressive gain for $30.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know it isn't the most exact way of getting your time but it's close enough, but based on your launch and when you past the end and the counter off youtube you ran something like 16-17 something.

In the process you beat a couple douche bags who couldn't drive their car. Congrats.

But that doesn't make your car better than those Si's. I really don't get why you have to be such an ___ about it. Any competent driver with the newer Si would beat your stock Xd handily.

For example I have a 89 CRX with an ls (b18b) engine and a GSR (b18c1) head, with your bolt-ons, oompletely gutted, ground control coilovers, etc, etc.. anyway I raced an 2002 BMW M3 twice and beat it... WOW my CRX MUST BE THA PWNZ...

no... The car owner's friend let his friend drive it and it beat me like it should've.

Now that isn't to say that the xD's power isn't underrated, but to me anyway you came off like a complete ___ with your "yea it sux that they bought $21k civics and cant get them to run faster than a lil Scion. Probably paying out the azz for insurance too." comment when your win had zero to do with their car and everything to do with their incompetent drivers.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ran a 10.604 in the 1/8th mile...I could see HIGH 15s, low-mid 16s.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tmrepp, you mean 1/8 mile for that 10.604 right? i was looking at dragtimes.com, and most cars running that time for the 1/8 mile are running low 16s, a select few in the high 15s... not too bad at all for a car getting 30+ mpg, lol.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yeah a 10.6 is usually around 16.2-16.4 range

still not bad considering it gets good gas mileage
Old 06-01-2008, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TLS317
I know it isn't the most exact way of getting your time but it's close enough, but based on your launch and when you past the end and the counter off youtube you ran something like 16-17 something.

In the process you beat a couple douche bags who couldn't drive their car. Congrats.

But that doesn't make your car better than those Si's. I really don't get why you have to be such an butt about it. Any competent driver with the newer Si would beat your stock Xd handily.

For example I have a 89 CRX with an ls (b18b) engine and a GSR (b18c1) head, with your bolt-ons, oompletely gutted, ground control coilovers, etc, etc.. anyway I raced an 2002 BMW M3 twice and beat it... WOW my CRX MUST BE THA PWNZ...

no... The car owner's friend let his friend drive it and it beat me like it should've.

Now that isn't to say that the xD's power isn't underrated, but to me anyway you came off like a complete butt with your "yea it sux that they bought $21k civics and cant get them to run faster than a lil Scion. Probably paying out the azz for insurance too." comment when your win had zero to do with their car and everything to do with their incompetent drivers.
no ur looking at it the wrong way. I think its funny how people pay more money for a faster car but they cant get them to run fast. They run around the street thinking they are the hot thing but I like to bring reality to the table.
Anyways that whole thing is over with, sorry if my having fun ____ed u off. i ran a 15.9 by the way. 98% of the people drive a car and don't even know the limitations of it. Get those guys on a real track and they would shizat bricks most likely. People talk so much crap backed up simply by the fact of what kind of car they drive... and yet I get flack on my you-tube descriptions LOL.
What it all comes down to is the driver. I get crap from people like you because I beat a Civic Si... nothing but excuses flow. The truth of the matter is, that is small beans. Quarter mile times are so trendy now-a-days it seems like that is all that matters, but on a real track quarter mile times goes out the window the 1st turn u hit. Like the auto-X I did last weekend in my xA, I got 1st in my class and 9th out of 60 over-all, A Civic Si was low on the todem pole for me to beat... I was aiming to beat Corvette z06's and trailered Honda challenge cars, STI's and such.
Civic Si.... small beans

and by the way, im not an idiot. You think I honestly think the xD is faster than an Si?
But the reality is just cause a magazine says this car is that fast... that doesnt mean anything... it doesnt mean every Si u see will run a 14.9.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also... It may seem that I pick on the Si. In fact I think the car is well engineered and great.
The whole point of what I do is to poke fun at they guys who don't know what they are doing. Different things bug me, like people who buy Big brake kits and adjustable coil-overs... yet they have never been to a road course their whole life... why waste the $??? I don't know. That's just my view though people can spend their $ how they want I guess. So it also bugs me when a person automatically thinks they are fast because they drive a xxx horsepower car. I think it's funny. Why would sombody pay top dollar to drive a FWD car with an LSD, 6 speed transmission, and well engineered high compression motor just to drive back and forth to work??? i dont know. They should have bought an xD if that's the case.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't disagree that the drivers are lacking and driving in a straight line for a few seconds is not a very good test of vehicle ability or driver skill. Nor do I disagree that the vast vast vast majority of people who "tune" cars couldn't drive it well if their life depended on it, that much money is wasted on cars that never see a track of any kind. As far as I'm concerned we are of one mind on those issues.

I just think the statements like "yea it sux that they bought $21k civics and cant get them to run faster than a lil Scion. Probably paying out the azz for insurance too" yeah don't exactly reflect that from you.

I probably interpreted it wrong. I read it as you ____ting on Si's, but I think your point was that the drivers buying said Si's are idiots.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

my 04 xb ran a 10.6 1/8th with a 35shot and almost empty bottle, with my getting terrible 60ft times (my bast was a 2.5 on the 10.6 run) becuase im timid to nail the nos off the line, becuase i kinda hid the fact i was using it, "cough" lol. anyway, i think hes just saying that theirs some of these kids out here who go, ooohhh an si! buy it, end dont know how to drive it, thier sponsored buy team mommy and daddy, so their first car has more potential than they can deal with.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blown_xa
ok I finally had a chance today to dyno my xD at work. Our dyno is a Dyno Dynamics. 120.7 whp and 118 ft. lbs. after 3 pulls. What is really impressive is the torque curve, it ia flat, the dual VVT-I works wonders. @ 2500 rpm ur already above 110 ft lbs.
I then removed the factory air box and relpaced with $30 auto-zone cone filter and the #'s jumped to 127.8whp and 123 ft lbs! rather impressive gain for $30.
Amazing...!
Can you please post the Dyno chart?

I can't understand why the major intake brands haven't came up with a properly designed intake.... when it looks like it's pretty easy to make power with just a cone filter...
Old 06-07-2008, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blown_xa
wow! i wonder how much of a gain we are getting after opening up the exhaust, cause that stock exhaust is ridiculous. i didnt feel much of a gain with the butt dyno after installing the intake, but i definitely did after putting the catback on, so im guessing the gains are even better.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no ur looking at it the wrong way. I think its funny how people pay more money for a faster car but they cant get them to run fast. They run around the street thinking they are the hot thing but I like to bring reality to the table.
Yeah......... I think if you wanna play that card then think about this. a V-6 mustang is faster than a scion. you can get one for about 2,500 used. Or you could buy a fox body mustang GT for about 5,000. Say you hold out and get a 93 model with a 5.0 for about 4,500 - 6,000 depending on the condition that will destroy scions, civics, mercedes, and bemmers.......... dont be that guy bringing money in a car race.... I woulda won if i paid 21.000 but i get better gas mileage.... Geo metros get 50 with the A/C on and you can find them all day for about 2,500. don't be that guy

Quick Reply: power underated on xD?? look here for the reality