Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Scion xD No Start problem - Post in this thread if you have had a No Start issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scion xD No Start problem - Post in this thread if you have had a No Start issue

This is becoming a common issue. There have been several threads on this forum and from searching the net many cars are affected and there have been many questions about the problem but no solutions.
Please post in this thread if you have had the "No Start" issue with your xD even though you have fuel and spark and if you have found a solution or if you have a theory on why this is happening.
Here are some recent threads, including my own which outline the problem.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=210630
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=207808
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172505
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211585
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186757

The last thread listed (#186757) was for an xB and he said he resolved the issue and it involved the Oil Control Valve portion of the VVT-i system.

When this happens to my xD it doesn't throw a code and I can eventually get it to start by flooding the engine by holding the pedal to the floor and intermittently cranking the engine. If it doesn't start straight off it can take up to 5 minutes before it will finally try to kick off.
This issue is very hard to diagnose because there are no codes thrown. I believe it is an ECM issue and at least one person has had their ECM reflashed. I'm not sure if that has fixed the issue or not but since the dealer that did it was daft enough to claim that the problem was carbon build up, I doubt it.

If you have had this happen to you please post in this thread so we can document this and maybe find a solution. If nothing else we'll have a thread we can refer to when dealing with Toyota. I really want to figure this out before my warranty runs out.

_______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-25-2021 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 01-22-2012, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you're on to something here... The OCV is supposed to be disengaged at startup to allow the ignition timing to be retarded for startup.. otherwise
the timing would be too advanced and that would account for the feeling and sound of "no compression" when the engine is turning over and not catching..
The one time it did happen to me, was when i went to start and it didn't catch right away.. then when I tried again... it would not start.. So that would imply the OCV got pressurized and engaged the VVT and was not reset for startup..
Interesting.. Good post.. I think you're in the area that is causing the intermittent problem..
Old 01-22-2012, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like exactly what happened to me last year. has only happened once, and it was a bugger to get it to turn over.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Similar issue here. Cranks fine, sometimes starts but runs really rough for a second or two and dies. Had a plug test bad a few months back, sat on my hands for a while when I probably should have changed them. I'm changing them tonight and will report back.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

This is wonderful, NOT...
Old 02-09-2012, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'll add to this thread with the same issue I am dealing with on my wife's car.

About two months ago we ran into the same issue: 2008 xD 144K

-Car sat for a couple days
-Wouldn't start up
-Very rough when first started
-Once running ran just fine and would start back up with no problems.

Differences:

-Threw Misfire Cyl 1,2,3,4 and misc. misfire OBD2 codes.
-Battery was deemed dead.
-Got new battery from dealer, issue went away.

Now here we are two months later and her car sat for a couple of days and it again will not start. My guess is that I will once again find the battery dead, and if I replace it it will be fine. When we drive her car daily it has no issues so I don't think its a charging issue as much as it is a draining issue.

I am completely in the dark here, but will try the ECU reflash at the dealer as mentioned in a previous thread as first step I guess.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Superhatch for posting this info in another related thread:

http://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b290649/

2008 Toyota Scion Xd Engine And Engine Cooling Service Bulletin 290649

NHTSA: Action Number: 10033637 Service Bulletin Number: 290649

Summary: Scion: no start or extended crank and/or mil on dtc p030# or p0015. Some model year vehicles may exhibit one or more of the following conditions after a cold soak due to carbon accumulation in the engine combustion chambers.

I've said this before but again I have to say if carbon accumulation was causing the intermittent no start problem then the carbon accumulation would have to be intermittent too which is impossible.
Hopefully someone will prove me wrong by pouring a bunch of Seafoam, ATF or Marvel Mystery oil in their car and going a year or more without a no start problem. In the mean time I'm still looking for a more logical (to me) explanation.

My first No Start issue was when the car had 45K miles. Not enough miles for carbon accumulation.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-25-2021 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 10-07-2012, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default I've found a Solution!

I've found a solution!

Well, not me, my mechanic. They diagnosed it as a failing fuel pump. We explained the issue as noted above, but also noted that it was harder to start in the winter, or if the car sat for longer than a day.
They packed the pump area with ice and recreated the problem. Replaced fuel pump 1 month ago, have had 0 start-up issues since!

I'll note that prior to this I changed the battery and reset the ECU multiple times to no avail. I'll also mention that they knew the issue right away and seemed to have seen it before on other Toyotas that shared the same pump.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-25-2021 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 04-25-2021, 10:24 AM
SL Member

Similar issue, just posted for the first time tonight, titled "Scion xD Engine issue"

Click to see my post on here

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-25-2021 at 02:58 PM.