Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Car won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 06:42 PM

Question Car won't start!

For the 2nd time in 2 years, my xD doesn't start. It turns over but it doesn't catch. Last time this happened, my car had been outside and I brought it in from the snow. This most recent time, my car was in the rain, I brought it in the garage and the next day it doesn't start. When I went to get my car towed today, the tower tried the car and got it to catch by slamming on the accelerator. Last time, I had the car towed, and it supposedly started right up with the mechanics looked at it. Has anyone had a similar experience?
Old 09-29-2009, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe ur battery is bad?
Old 09-29-2009, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did u turn the key all the way to the right haha jk that sucks
Old 09-29-2009, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check your battery and look for a white powder on the negative outlet(or w.e. its called), if you see that clean that up pretty well and try it again. That used to happen to my old car when it was a rainy day or there was a noticeable change in temperature from one day to the other one.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my car recently did this, after a huge downpour. my car would turnover but not start.

tried a lot of things checking the coilpacks, sparkplugs. wiring to make sure it didnt somehow myseriously get wet. than i cleaned my mass airflow sensor and, even cleaned my air filter and re oiled it. cleaned my throttle body. but still wouldn't work.

the best i could get was an idle that loped than would eventually drop off without the foot on the pedal. and would crap out at 3k rpm

the whole time i was thinking its the fuel pump. but i wanted to get the other obvious stuff out of the way.

than i pulled my fuel pump and checked the filter. it was good.
so i ordered a high flow pump and bam! my cars a runner again.

i figured i would interject since this sounds oddly like the problems i was having. the easiest way is to have a fuel pressure check done. or you may just have a clogged filter??

dunno if that's is but i would look at all that other stuff first before buying anything. good luck
Old 09-30-2009, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had a dream the other night about my car idling and dying out like every 2 minutes. maybe that was supposed to be your dream for a deja vu effect?
Old 09-30-2009, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just wondering. if the car is started and the accelerator held down, it runs? i had a similar problem with a different car and it seemed the battery would "loose" it's connection therefore causing the ECU to loose it's startup idle memory.

just a thought
Old 09-30-2009, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I could be one of two things fuel or spark. I have this problem with one of my other cars and the car would start after it rained. Turned out I needed new spark plugs wires because moisture was getting in to them. So check your spark plug wires for cracks or tears that might be your problem.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Great Tip

Originally Posted by kris68
I could be one of two things fuel or spark. I have this problem with one of my other cars and the car would start after it rained. Turned out I needed new spark plugs wires because moisture was getting in to them. So check your spark plug wires for cracks or tears that might be your problem.
Great tip. but don't bother. The XD has NO SPARK PLUG WIRES.
The igniter packs sit atop the spark plugs and have no exposed High Voltage Wiring.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so whats the resolution?
Old 10-08-2009, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by JDMJim
so whats the resolution?
Jim, I guess we'll never know...
Old 02-09-2012, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'll add to this thread with the same issue I am dealing with on my wife's car.

About two months ago we ran into the same issue: 2008 xD 144K

-Car sat for a couple days
-Wouldn't start up
-Very rough when first started
-Once running ran just fine and would start back up with no problems.

Differences:

-Threw Misfire Cyl 1,2,3,4 and misc. misfire OBD2 codes.
-Battery was deemed dead.
-Got new battery from dealer, issue went away.

Now here we are two months later and her car sat for a couple of days and it again will not start. My guess is that I will once again find the battery dead, and if I replace it it will be fine. When we drive her car daily it has no issues so I don't think its a charging issue as much as it is a draining issue.

I am completely in the dark here, but will try the ECU reflash at the dealer as a first step I guess.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exclamation

Here was my problem... the other day i was coming out of best buy then was side tracked by another tc parked right next to mine (it was the show version) me and the owner was talking for a few and then I went to start my tc and nothing but the lights came on no sounds from the engine bay I had to have it towed (free tow at that) to the dealer they tried for an hour or more to figure out what the problem was... so then I sat there and sat there and finally the guy comes out and says they got it started but are still running tests on it because they tried and tried to start it until a tech came out turned the key and it started right up. After the start up they kept the accessory on it until they were done. So now it is bothering the hell out of me why would all the lights come on and the beeping sound from the key still being inside be normal when the engine would not even attempt to turn over it was like it was disconnected or something. They checked the battery, alternator, clutch relays and fuses and got nothing. they stated that they are all perfect! this is in fact a real mystery to me... but the tc runs great (cept it needs a minor tune up which has not been done since purchase date in october of last year) <--- would spark plugs cause this?

Sorry for the long post but i tend to be detailed a lot. So bottom line can anyone shed some light on this or tell me if it was just the weather change that did it??
Old 11-11-2012, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unfortunately this is a common problem on these cheap cars.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211213
Old 12-17-2012, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unhappy HELP :(

Ok so the threads you sent do not have the same issue i have. It happened again today I had to tow it to the "dealer" and was stranded againfor 3 and half hours. All lights come on but there are no clicking sounds no sounds at all from the engine bay. just a dead turn when trying to start it. I can not figure this out it is bugging the hell out of me as I am paying cloe to 300$ a month for this car I can not get started. i drive it normally and keep it well maintained and I however never checked the spark plugs or wires (but I am also mechanically inclined ) I do not want to have to rid of the car if it is not fixed properly or at all because my only option on getting another car is a civic and Id rather have the tc. So if anyone can think of something it may be let me know. btw it is a manual transmission

Here is what was checked the first time it happened:

Starter
Battery
Alternator
Sensors
Spark Plugs ( so they say)

Thanks again for any help or input in advance!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does the car have an alarm? Did you buy it new or used?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hobojon
Does the car have an alarm? Did you buy it new or used?
Bought it used and no alarm. Car came from a scion toyota dealer____
Old 12-20-2012, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Vladislav, you should have started your own thread instead of posting in a no start thread that isnt the same symptoms. My first post was to the op not you.

Your problem should be easy to diagnose. Is it a mt car? If so, check your clutch pedal switch. If its an at car, have you tried stArting it in neutral instead of park?
When the engine doesnt turn over have you tried leaving the ignition in the run position and applying power to your starter with jumper cables? If its a mt car have you tried to push start it?
If the only problem is no power to your starter there are only a few things it ould be. There may be a malfunctioning afterarket car alarm or ignition disable installed you arent aware of. Look under the dash or non oem wiring etc...
Old 11-05-2015, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Superhatch
I'll add to this thread with the same issue I am dealing with on my wife's car.

About two months ago we ran into the same issue: 2008 xD 144K

-Car sat for a couple days
-Wouldn't start up
-Very rough when first started
-Once running ran just fine and would start back up with no problems.

Differences:

-Threw Misfire Cyl 1,2,3,4 and misc. misfire OBD2 codes.
-Battery was deemed dead.
-Got new battery from dealer, issue went away.

Now here we are two months later and her car sat for a couple of days and it again will not start. My guess is that I will once again find the battery dead, and if I replace it it will be fine. When we drive her car daily it has no issues so I don't think its a charging issue as much as it is a draining issue.

I am completely in the dark here, but will try the ECU reflash at the dealer as a first step I guess.
I have the same problem. I have a 2011 XD automatic...( which i hate. I prefer manual)with 170 k. I moved my car 4 days go and haven't moved it since, now it won't start. I have an alarm but when it beeps is very stong. My lights and clock still work so i ruled out dead battery. It makes noise and sounds lime it wants to turn over but won't. This is the 3rd time its happened. The first two after about 5 tried it started. Today no such luck. I had a 2004XB and i loved it, never had any problems. The check engine light turned on after my second try. :/