Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

WARRANTY?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default WARRANTY?!?!?!?

i was driving today and i accelerated a lil and my motor starting ticking....i didnt think much of it till i got under the hood and it was a loud tick. i think its a valve problem so i took it to toyota and they dnt cover it under warranty because apparently valves are part of wear and tear because of high reving soo i think its bs and idk wat to do now can any plz help me out??? its my only way to get to work and need it fixed asap

Last edited by Sciond; 06-05-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: language
Old 05-27-2010, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it still runs perfectly, the ticking you hear is relatively normal. It's the valve buckets. They can wear out with high revving but it really has no adverse effects other than being a little noisy. Almost everyone in the boosted category learns this really quick lol. If it gets louder over a short time span and keeps getting worse, then it's definitely not the buckets!

Otherwise, no worries, it's "normal" for the 2AZ's.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hope ur right how can I check for this??

I plan on changing the oil running thicker And synthetic. think that would help??
Old 05-27-2010, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Some of that is normal to an extent, especially with an engine utilizing VVT-i.
The "normal" portion of what you are hearing generally will sound like what's called "valve lash". If it seems either excessive and/or has changed (increased) from what it was before, then it's best to have it checked out. I'm not pleased with Toyota as a company right now anyways... but if they are trying to feed you a plate of BS that the head is not covered under the power-train portion of the warranty (assuming you haven't removed/modified it) then I'd get ahold of the regional rep. and state your case. Dealers can be d*cks sometimes, dont let them bully you into believing something may not be covered. Some dealers will pull that crap b/c corporate sometimes doesnt fully reimburse the dealer for warranty work. They will credit the dealership X amount of dollars for a repair regardless the actual part/labor costs the dealer incures.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Then how would you know if the dealer actually fix's a certain part or doesn't cut corners on you? If they are only given X dollars from corporate to fix a vehicle, whats to stop them from throwing on ____ty/cheap parts on it and not doing all the work they said they would, to compensate for the money loss?

Just throwing that out, cause I am wondering that
Old 05-27-2010, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's wat i was thinking too I ant believe that for shut. I'm going. To take my car to a couple other dealers tomarro t see way they say
Old 05-27-2010, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by donnyp05tc
Then how would you know if the dealer actually fix's a certain part or doesn't cut corners on you? If they are only given X dollars from corporate to fix a vehicle, whats to stop them from throwing on ____ty/cheap parts on it and not doing all the work they said they would, to compensate for the money loss?

Just throwing that out, cause I am wondering that

well that's true... but if they are an actual Toyota/Scion dealer they could be up to their neck in dog poo for doing something like that.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If other dealers tell me something different there's. Gonna be some problems. Wit Toyota of orlando
Everytime I go to that dealer. I always feel like something fishy is going. Down
Old 05-27-2010, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If other dealers tell me something different there's. Gonna be some problems. Wit Toyota of orlando
Everytime I go to that dealer. I always feel like something fishy is going. Down
Old 05-27-2010, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only item in the power train near the head of the motor that is considered a "wear" item should be the timing chain. Valves aren't supposed to "wear out" like a clutch or brake pads etc. Naturally they do over extensive periods of time but that's any lubricated moving part in an engine, not just the valves or buckets.

An easy sound locating test is getting a long (12") screwdriver and putting the metal end on the motor where you think the sound is coming from and plugging your ear with the plastic handgrip end. This acts like a stethoscope and can narrow your search. You'll have to take the plastic engine cover off first to get to the valve cover and/or head of the motor. It's just two 10mm nuts on the TC's so I would imagine it's likely the same on yours or similar.

Definitely get multiple opinions from multiple dealers if you don't like the answer from the first one. All of them are different and run their repair shops differently depending on the service manager and work quota's for the current time period. I personally know that 'mastertech86' on this forum is a certified tech and Toyota in Orlando somewhere (not sure which one) and is a straight up guy. He's got a boosted TC so he knows whats normal and what isn't. PM him if you need to arrange a meeting time.

In conclusion of this novel lol, it sounds like you don't have anything to worry about but always better safe than sorry!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where did u see that the valves arent part of wear and tear?? cuz i wanna show proof if they try me again..

and im goin to def pm that guy after i hear from the other dealers

i appreciate ur input alot man
Old 05-27-2010, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't "see" it. They are a vital permanent component in the operation of an internal combustion engine, just like pistons and rods etc. Just let them know you're not an idiot by saying just that if they try you on other stupid things but this issue sounds so far like it's the normal noise of the Toyota motor breaking in after a few high revs. You should hear some Honda's out there... holy crap! It sounds like marbles rolling around inside the cylinders at idle hehe.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay sounds good ill keep u updated on wat they say thanx man
Old 05-27-2010, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No problem.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just curious but how many miles do you have on your xD?
Old 05-28-2010, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 06-02-2010, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i took my car to toyota yesterday and they gave me no problem they told me they will honor the warranty and everything. so i was happy to hear that. they call me later that day told me my car is not going to be ready because they need to replace some lifters and the vvti something i forgot wat he told me soo hopefully i can get it back today
Old 06-02-2010, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xDizzle, sounds like they are going to take care of it... that's good. I don't know if it contributed to your problem, but you'll probably want to start running a good quality synthetic oil. You can easily go 10,000 miles on good synthetic oil... and make sure the viscosity is right.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sooo i got a call today saying that the mechanic replaced all the parts but the car doesnt want to turn on! WTF!!!! seriously??

then they were saying something read the letter "h" which apparently means i was going 130 mph and some +edit+ about tire pressure and charging me a hundred buks. i wasnt sure wat he was really sayin cuz it was on a voicemail and he was mumbling..

i took it to them running so i bet get it back running

Last edited by Sciond; 06-05-2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: language
Old 06-04-2010, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So... Were you going 130 mph?

Yes, the engine computer does keep records. Remember the acceleration problem on certain Toyotas? They were interested in getting their hands on the computers so that they could see how fast the cars were going, if people hit the brakes, etc.

Quick Reply: WARRANTY?!?!?!?