Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

xD oil change

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TxKicker
Yeah, I just got my 5k complimentary maintenance done yesterday for my 2010 xD and clashed a bit with the dealer. First they tried to convince me that the 5k didn't include an oil change, then I showed the warranty/maintenance book that said it did. Then they tried to tell me the warranty only covered traditional and the car can take both, which I countered with the owners manual saying SAE 0w-20 is the recommended oil and only synthetic. In the end the dealership covered the difference.

I was at a store recently to see how much the oil costs and was only able to find 5w-20. The owners manual says you can use that, but next time switch to 0w-20.
I hear ya, I've had one done on my 2010 with No Problems. But I'm under the impression that the Dealer is using Pennzoil Synthetic ( At least that's what all the advertisements around the Dealship show) which isn't a True Synthetic but more of a Blend. I think I'm gonna change it over to Amsoil and Skip the other 3 Free Dealer oil changes.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by tjb63
I hear ya, I've had one done on my 2010 with No Problems. But I'm under the impression that the Dealer is using Pennzoil Synthetic ( At least that's what all the advertisements around the Dealship show) which isn't a True Synthetic but more of a Blend. I think I'm gonna change it over to Amsoil and Skip the other 3 Free Dealer oil changes.
Still go for the other stuff included(rotation, fluid, etc...). No point in leaving those unused.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TxKicker
Still go for the other stuff included(rotation, fluid, etc...). No point in leaving those unused.
Ah, I keep up on maintenance on my cars pretty good, I'm lucky have to ability/tools to balance my tires and rotate them, change oil etc.etc.. I'm just not too trusting of Dealers, I've known quite a few friends/family that caught them not changing Oil Filters, Rotating Tires etc...So if they are doing Maintenance on my Car for no Charge to me, I start wondering exactly how much they are really doing when in the end, they're not making any profit off me, on the other side, If I do it myself, I know exactly what was done. that's just me, YMMV
Old 03-31-2011, 04:28 AM
5 Year Member

Below are 2 pics I took on my first oil & filter change. They say a special Toyota wrench is needed, but I was able to use a small BAND CLAMP type of filter wrench to grab JUUUUST enough of the housing to loosen the cap. The filter will be a small round CARTRIDGE about half the hight of a soda can and just a bit bigger in the diameter.

xD oil change-feb-5th_008_.jpg
xD oil change-feb-5th_009_.jpg

If your using any kinda lift or hoist, I woud suggerst using these points below for the lifting pads.

( Front )
xD oil change-feb-5th_006_.jpg

( Rear )
xD oil change-feb-5th_007_.jpg

If your just lifting the front with a floor jack, then you tell me, k !
Old 03-31-2011, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice Pics GSBZ,
I just use a Regular Cup Wrench I think I got at Wally World, It fits perfect. I changed my oil at a 1000 miles and replaced the Cartridge with a Fram, Well I thought I'd take advantage of the Free Oil Changes Scion offered so I let them change it at about 3500 miles, Last Weekend I finally decided to change it over to Amsoil at 8500 miles, What you know I pulled out a Fram Cartridge, I hate having anybody but myself work on my cars, You just can't trust them. I did replace my Drain Plug with the Fram EZ Drain, it makes draining the oil less of a PITA.
Good Day
TJ
Old 04-01-2011, 04:06 AM
5 Year Member

Ya Know, I hear ya. Even though I can now, in my some-what-older days in my life, can afford to pay for services, I hate others work on my cars too! I worked for Valvoline Instant Oil Change for 6 years in the past and must have done 10,000 oil changes. Still rather work on my own.
I also took advantage of the first 2 free changes by the dealer. And I too pulled out a Fram cartridge when I did my first at around 14,000.
Now I work for a Petroleum Distributor as a Service tech (oil pump repairs, fuel dispensers, tanks, etc) and we supply.....yep....Valvoline. So I use Valvoline DuraBlend. lus I get the oil AND the filters half of the company price. SWEEEEEET.
Old 11-18-2022, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew

HI,
My 2008 manual specs say 4.3 qts. for a dry fill. (?)