Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2012/13 Radio in a 2010 xD

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2012/13 Radio in a 2010 xD

I recently purchased a 2012 Scion radio (Part # PT546-00120) for my 2010 xD. The main reason is I wanted the Bluetooth feature because I just moved to a state that requires hands free cell phone use while driving. The main issue it the Bluetooth microphone or lack of one. From what I gather I will need to purchase Toyota Part # PT546-74120-MC to enable the Bluetooth feature. Routing the microphone from the back of the radio to the A pillar then to the map lights is going to be difficult. The part that has me worried is the removal of the A pillar. There was a thread here on an xD owner that wanted to run a amp wire in the dash and there were good pictures of how to dissemble of the entire dash. I pulled down the map lights this morning and there is no cable there. From my research the microphone is supposed to be where the map lights are.
Is there anyone out there that can offer any guidance how to install the radio? Am I missing anything besides a clue?
Some links that I read:
http://www.toyotatrdparts.com/script...product=331688
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40301
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...819-bt-hu.html
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161864 A pillar removal
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212336
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214447
Old 07-29-2012, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

the microphone wasn't standard on the 2010 xD, so there wouldn't be any wiring there for a microphone.
you would have to get the bluetooth mic/wiring and plug/route it through the car yourself.

Also I don't know if you can just stick the mic up there and be done, on my 2010 xD the lines in the plastic are there for where the mic would be, but it is solid, there doesn't look like any slots for sound to actually pass through to the mic, you may have to drill the holes yourself? I never thought about those specifics on the other thread.
the mic for the iQ actually attaches above the steering wheel column. maybe you could buy that one and mount it the same way if drilling the holes yourself or finding the other map light cover part with the mic slots open.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep you are right about the vent by the map lights being solid. I noticed that this morning. When I go to the dealership I'll take a look at a 2012 xD and see what the map light cover looks like. I will have to drill mine out or buy one depending on the price. So you think that cable is not designed to be routed up the A pillar because it's too short? If that's the case then I'm assuming the mic is part of the wiring harness from the factory. I hope the guy at the parts counter is patient and knows his stuff.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Depends on if you get all of the right wiring that is for the xD, if so it should fit where it needs to.
It may be more then just one section of wiring with more than one part number. Or it is just one long wire with the mic.

The factory wiring harness for the older xD isnt going to have the same mic wiring or connections as the newer xDs because it wasn't standard back then.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just as an FYI, it is pretty easy to get the A-pillar off these cars. Getting a wire to the front light isn't very difficult.

I do not know anything about how the wiring works for the mic though, sorry
Old 07-30-2012, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Made a trip to the dealer today. In the end I did not resolve anything I think my best best is finding an unused plug when I remove my old radio.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I put the 2012 Tc radio in my 2009 xd as well. I added the mic (there are a couple versions, I recommend taking the head unit to the dealer to get the right connection) to the right gauge cluster right next to the little info button. People say they can hear me just fine.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awisher – Thanks for the reply that’s really good news! The radio I bought came out of a 2012 tC as well. I should have the radio by the weekend and want to install it asap. So is there a plug in the back of the radio for the mic or did you find a plug in the wiring harness?
Old 08-02-2012, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm embarrassed to say, I don't remember for sure. I believe it is a connection to one of the harnesses, but there is a small connection on the back left of the hu, but I don't remember if I used it. Lol. Just make sure yours comes with the adapter harnesses.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's curious that there isn't a wireless mic available.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I did the install today on the positive side the radio powered up and CD player works. I know the Bluetooth was going to be an issue and it is. I also lost the USB connection. When I did the swap I have an extra plug from the radio and an extra plug from the car. No they don't fit together and I'm not sure what the issue is. Anyone have any ideas? I took picture but I'll have to figure out how to post them.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If your car has the iPod "port" (with the cable, white plug) and not the actual USB port, then you will lose the port. If there is an adapter cable, I'm unaware of it. I have heard people have swapped the USB port and cabling out of a later xd or Prius to get the right port.
Why is the Bluetooth an issue? Did you install the mic?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a USB port and the 3.5mm port. The usb port is not working but I think the radio did not ship with the cable. There is a smaller grey square input in the back of the new radio with no cable coming out of it. I think I need to get the USB cable PT546-00120-US in order to get the usb working. I did not buy the Bluetooth microphone PT546-74120-MC yet. If that's the case this upgrade is to add up. Please take a look at the third picture at the grey cable on the left side.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/sale-t...ion-t1819.html
Old 08-13-2012, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You will need the mic for Bluetooth to work. I don't know about the USB, since I didn't hook mine up. I just connect via BT.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

the USB/aux port is connected with its own cable into the radio, the old iPod wiring is what you should have left over on the car side, and the small rectangular plug is where the new USB/AUX wiring goes.

which is the grey wire from that photo, now that it loaded.

though on the new style USB/AUX wire I got it was just one long wire that plugged into the radio and ended at the new USB/AUX port
Old 08-14-2012, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did make it to the dealership today and they had the Bluetooth mic in stock. I did a temp install this afternoon and I'm happy to say that it works! I need to figure the best place to mount the microphone and that part will be done. So now it looks like I'll have to order the USB cable in order to get that working. The down side is that it's expensive around $75 so in the future if you are going to buy this radio make sure it has the cable.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i got lucky, the guy on ebay i bought my radio from sent the usb cable/port for free.
$75 doesnt surprise me much though, these A/V cables from scion were always expensive.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

do either of you have a part # for the USB cabling/port?
Old 08-15-2012, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like the retrofit is coming along. What about with 2011s? Do they have any more of the parts on them than the 2010 does?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awisher - Another day another trip to the dealer. The part I ordered for the USB cable was PT546-00120-US. I may have it tomorrow so I will let you know if it works. If you could can you describe how you routed the mic cable? Specifically did you route the wire thru the very top of the steering wheel or did you run it from the bottom up? I was sitting in my car today and started making calls. I was shocked but I had the entire conversation over my car speakers, it was so cool. I did not get any complaints on how I sounded even with the mic hanging behind the radio. I do not have the waterfall buttoned up for obvious reasons. My air bag light lit up yesterday so I was nervous. However, I reconnected the the clock and the light went out.
Dartanian not sure what you mean I thought the radios with Bluetooth came out in 11? If that's not the case you are in the same boat as the 2010 owners.

Quick Reply: 2012/13 Radio in a 2010 xD