Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2012/13 Radio in a 2010 xD

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where do you want to put the mic?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it would be the easiest if I put it by the the steering wheel just ahead of the instrument cluster. On the part that does not move if that makes any sense.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup, makes perfect sense. That should be pretty easy to get too. Just take the instrument cluster off (the plastic pulls off, the gauges have a few screws) and route the wire to the radio from there.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That looks like the part # for the adapter cable, no? I need the entire port cable between the stereo and cup holder. It's not a big deal, I don't use it anyway.:-)
I mounted the mic next to the little button that controls the info display, in the right instrument cluster pod. there is room between the gauge cluster frame and the gauge for the wire to pass. It had double sticky foam tape already on the mic. Just make share you clean the gauge surface with alcohol or something before trying to stick it down. I haven't had any conversation problems either.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes it's the adapter cable. Why do you need the whole cable? Thanks for the routing info I would have thought the wire would get crimped from the bezel. If it works then it's cool.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 2009s don't have a USB port by the cup holder, just a big Toyota port that uses a big cable to plug between your iPod and the port. It was my understanding that newer models have an actual USB port.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK got it thanks. From my searching I came across people using a usb kit from a Prius but it was expensive. If you were interested I would consider getting the part from a bone yard.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes the new usb/aux port is what is at the end of the cable instead of the big Toyota iPod plug.
They changed the plugs in 2010. Bluetooth was only made standard recently.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I tried installing the same radio today and the mic would not fit anywhere. Same part numbers as listed on this post. Radio works OK. Is the mic supposed to plug directly into the back of the HU or is there. supposed to be another harness/adapter. Help! the dealer says the mic is the right one for this receiver.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was told by the dealer that it depends on where the hu came from as the IQ has a different mic. It should plug directly into the hu. I took the hu in with me to the dealer, because he had more than one option in his computer.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I called the dealer back and they insist this is the right one for this HU. I told them this one says IQ. and mine came out of an xb. They're telling me this is the only one. Do you have a number for the dealer you went to?
Old 08-16-2012, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I unboxed my radio there where wires already attached. The mic plugged in the on of the connectors. If you are looking at the front of the radio it was towards the left side.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have the number on me, but it is rodland Toyota/scion Everett, wa.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been trying to figure this out with no help from my dealer. It seems the person that sold me this radio must have kept or misplaced the 28 to 20 and 28 pin conversion that should have been attached to the back of the receiver. This is for the steering wheel controls and mic. part pt546-00120-ch. http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT546-00120inst.pdf
My dealer says it will be another $43 for the part and can have it by Sat. Luckily I only paid $50 for the HU. Still adds up. Before I spend more money can anyone tell me if I'm right and will the IQ mic work with this harness? thanks. By the way the dealer says they'll take the mic back if it turns out to be wrong.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It didn't work in mine I got a tc version.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Based on this link http://www.toyotatrdparts.com/script...product=331688 and looking at the "Note" that's the part number I used for the mic. Also I was told that is the only part number for a Bluetooth microphone. Trust me I was in the the same boat with the parts people telling me if I opened the bag then I owned the part. They were nice enough to allow me to take the part to my car and see if it would fit the empty plug in the harness which it did.

I installed the USB cable this morning and everything works fine. I'm happy but that cable was expensive. I pulled the trim piece off instrument cluster and routing the mic should be easy. I did notice some padding that looks like it fell down from the top of the dash. I'm getting an annoying buzzing sound from that area. Looks like it's time to put some sound deadening material up there and call it done!

Last edited by andrewjc; 08-18-2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Quick update
Old 08-19-2012, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know if you guys figured it out yet but with the radio off, push and hold the multi-function **** and you'll get a couple of options I set it to xD and the system sounds awesome with my shallow pioneer box and pioneer 200 watt gm-d7500m mono amp. Make sure subwoofer input is "on" so you can control the sub level. This radio is the perfect option if you don't want to be flashy. I also ordered the 28 pin to 20 and 8 conv. cable. hopefully I"ll be able to get the BT working soon.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got my 28 pin to 20 and 8 pin cable in and installed the mic and steering controls without a hitch. Everything works great and I love the streaming. This was well worth it. The only problem is with voice command. It seems to be listening from my phone and not from the mic. All around I am extremely happy with the sound and features of this radio. Maybe one day I'll get the usb cable so i can use a flash drive for even more music.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So where did you end up putting the mic?
Old 10-27-2012, 08:53 PM

Default Same head unit into 2008 Scion XB?

Thanks for posting this question. So my question to you is, when you buy the mic kit, does it piggy back into existing head unit cables? How the heck does it connect? I don't see where it would connect to the back of the head unit.

Any help or pics would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Knight

Quick Reply: 2012/13 Radio in a 2010 xD