Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xD ICE & Interior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-ice-interior-1800/)
-   -   Amp Wiring Question (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-ice-interior-1800/amp-wiring-question-188980/)

midnight_king 06-24-2010 12:44 AM

Amp Wiring Question

ok, so on my 2010 xD, i got my power wire ran, but where the hell do i hook up my remote wire from my amp? Quick response much appreciated!! thanks guys!!

Olesen_Custom_Automotive 06-24-2010 01:05 AM

+12 Volt Ignition Wire (switched, to amp)

its either Gray or Red

+12 Volt Battery Wire

its either Blue w/ Yellow Stripe or just Yellow

midnight_king 06-24-2010 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Olesen_Custom_Automotive (Post 3607072)
+12 Volt Ignition Wire (switched, to amp)

its either Gray or Red

+12 Volt Battery Wire

its either Blue w/ Yellow Stripe or just Yellow

where are they located at in the vehicle?

JJGeneral1 06-24-2010 03:20 AM

the question is, do you want the amp on 24/7, or do you want the amp on when you turn the car on, or when you have the radio on? there's 3 ways to hook it up.

1 is the battery, or a 12V source that's always on.

2 is a "accessories" position item. find a fuse on your box, and hook it to an item that comes on when you turn your key for the radio only, then the amp will kick on.

3 is an ignition item. hook it to something that will come on when you start the car, or something that comes on when you turn the key to the "on" position of your key.

I have mine as number 3, that way when i am cleaning the car, i can turn the radio on, without the sub being on, and not kill my battery, but still listen to the radio while working on the car.

midnight_king 06-24-2010 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1 (Post 3607196)
the question is, do you want the amp on 24/7, or do you want the amp on when you turn the car on, or when you have the radio on? there's 3 ways to hook it up.

1 is the battery, or a 12V source that's always on.

2 is a "accessories" position item. find a fuse on your box, and hook it to an item that comes on when you turn your key for the radio only, then the amp will kick on.

3 is an ignition item. hook it to something that will come on when you start the car, or something that comes on when you turn the key to the "on" position of your key.

I have mine as number 3, that way when i am cleaning the car, i can turn the radio on, without the sub being on, and not kill my battery, but still listen to the radio while working on the car.

i think i might put it to the dome fuse.. 15 amp that comes on acc. not sure yet, i will work the deal tomorrow after work. as well as my tail lights, headlights, and blinkers are getting detailed/painted.

Olesen_Custom_Automotive 06-24-2010 04:04 AM

use the wires behind the headunit.

JJGeneral1 06-24-2010 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by midnight_king (Post 3607201)
i think i might put it to the dome fuse.. 15 amp that comes on acc. not sure yet, i will work the deal tomorrow after work. as well as my tail lights, headlights, and blinkers are getting detailed/painted.

i put my remote wire on the fuse for the rear wiper. It only comes on when the car is "on" on....

midnight_king 06-24-2010 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1 (Post 3607438)
i put my remote wire on the fuse for the rear wiper. It only comes on when the car is "on" on....

mmk, is it in the box under the hood i guess??

cobaltbravo 06-24-2010 01:45 PM

i highly recommend a acc powered fuse under your dash as your power wire source if you dont hook it up behind the head unit. get one of these http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Auto.../sd3263/p53383
(random website i found a pic at, i'd just get one from harbour freight or walmart) and use it to find which slots are constant hot, and which are what i call ign hot, or in this case acc hot. use an acc hot slot for this. when testing slots, the rear contact is the one you should test, the fwd contact in each slot is the ground side. find one that only lights up the tester when you turn the key to acc, and then go buy one of these http://autosfans.com/pico-0956pt-10-...tomer-reviews/ (another ramdom site i picked for the pic, but thats a good price, they run 6-7$ at autozone) and stick a couple low amp fuses in it and attach your amp power on wire to it. hope this helps.

asurjc 06-24-2010 03:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
These pics are borrowed from my original under-seat sub post.

I used an add-a-line like cobaltbravo was talking about

Attachment 83121

and inserted it here:

Attachment 83122

You can just pull the existing fuse and stick in the add-a-line.

JJGeneral1 06-24-2010 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by midnight_king (Post 3607450)
mmk, is it in the box under the hood i guess??

no, it's on the fuse panel, behind/under the driver side "storage box".

if you crawl down under, you will see the covering, remove that, and you'll see the fuses. they're easy to identify with the cover guide, and a little tricky to sneak a wire in, but it's fairly easy once you've done one.

midnight_king 06-24-2010 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1 (Post 3607623)
no, it's on the fuse panel, behind/under the driver side "storage box".

if you crawl down under, you will see the covering, remove that, and you'll see the fuses. they're easy to identify with the cover guide, and a little tricky to sneak a wire in, but it's fairly easy once you've done one.

were the fuses done differently on the 2010? because behind the pop out box is a wiring hub. only like 2-3 fuses there..

asurjc 06-24-2010 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by midnight_king (Post 3607840)
were the fuses done differently on the 2010? because behind the pop out box is a wiring hub. only like 2-3 fuses there..

Directly underneath this panel you're talking about you will find a black plastic cover that snaps off the panel. Under there are most of the fuses for the car. They are aligned straight up and down (sky/ground). On the back of the black panel, there's also a fuse diagram.

midnight_king 06-25-2010 03:28 AM

i got this done, thank you for all the help guys :) i used this method to hook up my accent lighting as well. i also found out that my amp is burnt up.. :( gotta wait till after the paycheck to get a new one...

Swbari00 06-26-2010 12:50 AM

What amp are you going to use?

midnight_king 06-27-2010 12:21 AM

not sure, probally just a mono class D rockford.

Swbari00 06-27-2010 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by midnight_king (Post 3609715)
not sure, probally just a mono class D rockford.

Make sure you run power wires from your battery for that. Someone mentioned using a fusebox but that amp will draw way to much current for a fusebox. Also make sure you take pictures for us to see!

midnight_king 06-27-2010 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Swbari00 (Post 3609772)
Make sure you run power wires from your battery for that. Someone mentioned using a fusebox but that amp will draw way to much current for a fusebox. Also make sure you take pictures for us to see!

yeh, will do :) and ive already got the power wire, rca, remote, and subs wired and ready, just need to plug in the amp.. gotta get ahold of one first :frown:

Swbari00 06-28-2010 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by midnight_king (Post 3609858)
yeh, will do :) and ive already got the power wire, rca, remote, and subs wired and ready, just need to plug in the amp.. gotta get ahold of one first :frown:

You will like Rockford, if you don't already. I have a 4 channel (T400.4) running my whole system. I love it!

JJGeneral1 06-28-2010 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Swbari00 (Post 3609772)

the fuse box use we mentioned is for the remote wire, not the amp power wire.

the remote wire is the topic of this whole thread anyways.