Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Antenna Base Busted

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member

I never listen to the radio at all - the only reason I am paying to fix the damage to the antenna on my xB is purely psychological. Every time I see the busted antenna I think of that a-hole transport driver
(really want to kick him in the nads). Also vanity has a bit to do with it as well as retaining trade in value on the vehicle.

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-28-2019 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 01-04-2010, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just a thought can you pop those little caps off on each side? there should be a bolt in there and just unbolt it. you may have to buy the whole thing, but might be able to get out the easy way and just do that instead of changing the whole thing?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member

The ripping off of the antenna mast and threads crushed the plastic at the back of the groove. I thought of this solution to save labor dollars, but I want it returned to its original state. Ah - the price of vanity.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm taking my antenna base off the old xD i crashed. it's in good condition. i'll sell it to ya for cheap.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i couldn't get to it. the guys were watching me like a hawk taking stuff off the car. sorry man. i really wish i could've gotten it for ya to give to ya.

i tried!!!
Old 03-01-2010, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member

Was your car totaled? Do you have the part?
Bill
Old 03-01-2010, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as stated in my last post, car was totaled, and i couldn't get it off. the salvage yard was basically inventorying everything i grabbed. sorry.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member

Default Busted Antenna Mount

Sorry I didn't see your earlier reply. I just now saw there there is a Page 2 of this thread. Anyway, I haven't yet fixed my daughter-in-law's broken antenna mount. Before I tackle it I'd like to hear from someone that has actually replaced or repaired a broken mount. Just how easy is it to get at the nut that supposedly holds the mount to the roof? If I'm likely to mess-up the headliner have Toyota do the repair (will probably need to get a home equity loan to pay for that). If it's an easy job, I'll buy the part and do the labor myself.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member

Default Go to the mechanic if you are unsure.

The Labor for this job is the cheapest part, it only takes a good technician an hour to do tops $80-$90. There is a lot of stuff to dismantle. You have to remove the B and C pillar garnishes (use a large clean plastic spatula to loosen the clips) and partially drop the headliner. Then it's right there in front of you. Replacement is pretty self explanatory. Running the cables is definitely more difficult than plugging in a toaster. Getting everything back together in a cosmetically nice way is a touch difficult and you have to remember that you are dealing with a cardboard headliner.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member

Are the cable and the base connected together as one piece or is the cable attached to the base with a threaded fastener?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member

It is hardwired. There are only three parts in the assembly. The antenna base (powered satellite receiver unit with hardwired cables), antenna mast (the rod that screws into the base) and the large nut that holds the works to the roof of your car (you will reuse this - no need to order it). The cable that is hardwired to the antenna base has two clips attached to the loose end that interface with the rest of the antenna wiring assembly in the roof. When you remove the base, you need to locate these two off-white plastic clips to disengage the base from the rest of the wiring assembly (do that before removing the mounting nut).
Old 03-02-2010, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member

Beerbucket,
Thanks, I think I got the picture now. I was originally afraid that the antenna base and the cable to the dash was all one piece. But, based on what you say, the cable from the antenna base to the dash is connected to the base by clips. So, I guess all I have to do to install a new mount is get at the two clips and pull them off the base, then unscrew the nut and lift off the broken base, then reverse the process with the new base. Thanks again, Bill
Old 06-28-2019, 01:41 AM

Default Antenna threads busted can I tap it?

The car wash broke the antenna wand off the base below the threads. Err. Has anyone tapped out the swivel unit?
If it's doable I could replace with a shark fin. Otherwise if I am reading correctly the base unit will loosen up enough to remove the nut and wiring?

2015 xB.

Thanks for any suggestions

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-28-2019 at 03:44 AM.