Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

iPad and '08 xD

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default iPad and '08 xD

Has anyone used an iPad in their car? I am interested in getting one and I am curious how well it plays with the interface. Keep in mind I have an '08 so none of the cool new USB stuff, I have good ole iPod only connection.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Swbari00
Has anyone used an iPad in their car? I am interested in getting one and I am curious how well it plays with the interface. Keep in mind I have an '08 so none of the cool new USB stuff, I have good ole iPod only connection.
so the new one gots usb ports?
Old 11-15-2010, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xD_kidd91
so the new one gots usb ports?
Just one, but yeah. no more AUX either (I don't think anyway)
Old 11-15-2010, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Swbari00
Just one, but yeah. no more AUX either (I don't think anyway)

2010's still have aux with a USB in the same "port". no more "scion exclusive" ipod connector thing...
Old 11-15-2010, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1
2010's still have aux with a USB in the same "port". no more "scion exclusive" ipod connector thing...
Ah ya that's right, not 2 connectors anymore, just one. Thanks for that
Old 11-16-2010, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

iPads use the newer charging setup, so it doesn't play nice with the Scion setup. Mine just says that it is not compatible with that "accessory" when I try to hook it up. My iPhone 4 works as far as music, but doesn't charge. I haven't tried the Scosche adapter... I know it is supposed to make older hookups charge the newer apple stuff, but I don't know if it will allow music to play from the iPad to the Scion port. Scosche says it probably won't. I installed an aftermarket iPod port on my wife's Honda, and it does work with my iPad. I'm jealous.

I just use the aux port with my iPad. I don't keep a whole lot of music on it (that's what the iood is for, right?), but I do stream music and podcasts and such. Gotta love the unlimited data plan!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
iPads use the newer charging setup, so it doesn't play nice with the Scion setup. Mine just says that it is not compatible with that "accessory" when I try to hook it up. My iPhone 4 works as far as music, but doesn't charge. I haven't tried the Scosche adapter... I know it is supposed to make older hookups charge the newer apple stuff, but I don't know if it will allow music to play from the iPad to the Scion port. Scosche says it probably won't. I installed an aftermarket iPod port on my wife's Honda, and it does work with my iPad. I'm jealous.

I just use the aux port with my iPad. I don't keep a whole lot of music on it (that's what the iood is for, right?), but I do stream music and podcasts and such. Gotta love the unlimited data plan!
Ah crap, thanks for the info. I was hoping to use an iPad as my main music source and be able to use iTunes (well the iPad version of iTunes) to control the music. I will find someone with one and try it out and hope for the best. Worst case is I use a Mac mini with a touch screen, but that is a ton of work.

edit: actually, worst case is I don't do anything at all
Old 11-16-2010, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the iphone 4 and the scosche adapter works with my 08 XD. If you ever get out around Chattanooga let me know and you can test it with yours!
Old 11-17-2010, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nateson
I have the iphone 4 and the scosche adapter works with my 08 XD. If you ever get out around Chattanooga let me know and you can test it with yours!
Ah well I will probably be in Chattanooga before I get an iPad, that is where my wife is from. If I make it there I will let you know.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're getting a 3G iPad, right? It's only too bad that they don't offer the unlimited plan any more. They do have an unlimited data plan for the iphone4, though... But I don't think you can get that with tethering... I think you can only get tethering with the 2 gig plan. At least that's how I understand it.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The iPhone plans now are limited to 2gb a month. If you have a unlimited data plan on AT&T already ( iPhone or other smart phone) you can get grandfathered in. If you plan to tether you could go verizon for unlimited. I even think tethering ( mobile hotspot ) is cheaper.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not worried about being able to use internet so likely I will not be getting a 3G iPad. Who knows though.