Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Need to remove headrests to fold rear seats?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 06:33 PM

Default Need to remove headrests to fold rear seats?

I recently purchased a 2013 xD 10 Series coming off a 3 year lease , and am pretty pleased. However the biggest annoyance I've run into so far is the need to remove the left and right headrests on
◄◄Click Here to Add your Vehicle to Garage
the back seats in order to fold the rear seats down. One can move the driver and passenger seats forward a bit while leaving the headrests on, but my preferred driving position is all the way back, so I don't want to do this. Does this not seem like a huge design flaw to anybody else? I feel like every other sub compact hatchback has the dimensions figured out so this extra work isn't needed. I've searched all over and have yet to find this specific complaint posted in either professional reviews or owner forums, which is surprising to me as it seems like such an oversight. Right now I have the rear headrests removed and sitting in the back, which takes up space and also turns them into projectiles should I get in a front collision. Also, when I do want to raise or lower the seats, it takes me twice as long as it should as I have to fumble with the headrests. From my research, it seems like the xD had better headrests on earlier model years (perhaps through 2011?), where like the more modern middle headrest, the side ones can be pushed down and conform to the shape of the top of the seat, meaning they don't extend out (or up) as far. I'm interested in possibly purchasing these older headrests from Ebay or a junk yard, but I'm wondering if anybody knows if the seats on my 2013 would be compatible? It is my understanding that Yaris headrests might fit as well. Has anybody else here had a similar issue or have any advice?
Old 04-29-2017, 03:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I cannot help you in regard to knowing if the other version of the headrests will fit your seats, but I can tell you that I understand what your talking about and dealing with as my
2012 Scion XD also has the taller headrests that have to be removed in order to fold down the rear seat back forward flat otherwise they hang up on the back of the front seats...
Old 05-08-2017, 10:47 PM

For those actually interested (and I don't imagine there are many) I went ahead and got the older model head rests on Ebay and they fit fine, and work in the way you'd think they should.