Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Neon interior lighting - is mine legal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:10 AM
SL Member

Default Neon interior lighting - is mine legal?

I just finished installing some neons today in front underneath my front seats, the one for my back center was faulty...

It has the option to stay constantly on, which I am pretty sure will not get me in any trouble... But then there is another feature where they "pulse" to music, which works pretty well.

Sorry that the quality of the video isn't the greatest, took it with just a regular camera, I will try to upload a video latter from a real video camera.

note: the lights are much brighter in person, I believe the camera throws off how bright they really are

so tell me what you think, the video is of them in "pulse" mode...

sorry for the crappy music, I usually listen to my stereo pretty loud and the way i have the neons adjusted, those are the only songs I can really get them to respond to with out annoying my neighbors...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS6Ea6-jq44
Old 12-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Zed
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it all depends on how visible is it from the outside, with the door closed? i haven't seen a scion with interior lights with the doors closed so i can't say, if they illuminate the whole cabin you might not want to drive with them on all the time. Also i think it might be a state to state issue with something might be legal here, but not where you are. i don't see how they would be illegal because it's like driving around with your map light or dome light on, just hard to see at night. the strobing might make it on the less legal side, so i guess it all really depends on how easy is it to see from the outside. also window tint would make it harder to see, but once again depends on area as to how much you can get tinted.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:46 PM
SL Member

Thanks for the help, the video was taken with the passenger door open and then the door closed with the window down, i will take another video with a better camera with the windows up. My xD has the darkest legal tint you can get from toyota. I haven't really found it that distracting when I am driving though, it is quite entertaining when you don't have music on and you can just hit the top of the seat, and the harder you hit the brighter it gets, and also when you don't have music on, when you change lanes and hit the bumps dividing the lanes, the flash since i drilled them into the frame, it really is entertaining, so i guess it could be somewhat of a distraction the a person it distracts enough...
Old 12-25-2008, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

perfect example to use this quote "what they dont see, wont hurt them"
but yeah aslong as the cops dont see then your good, if they dont catch other people's attention esp. cops with windows down, then thats perfect! lol