Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Question

I lost both sets of my keys for my RS 2.0 and just have a metal key for my car now (no immobilizer? I know smh right?) If i bought a key/fob blade combo from ebay aprox:50$ How much would it cost to have Scion program it for me? I have a friend at ace hardware that'll cut it for free, or can i program the fob myself?

Please Help!
Old 08-08-2011, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dealer. they wanted like $100 to do it but if you loose the fob, i dont know any other way to program it. just call them and see what they say
Old 08-08-2011, 03:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BeloZero
dealer. they wanted like $100 to do it but if you loose the fob, i dont know any other way to program it. just call them and see what they say
alright because I'm thinking of this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNCUT...ht_3690wt_1171
Old 08-08-2011, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

you need the dealer scan tool to re program the immobilzer. don't recall if the key fob needs it on the xd or not. most likely it does. dealer will charge an hour labor.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My XD does not have an immobilizer. I bought mine used with a blank key, and bought a fob key off eBay. I had to have it cut at a locksmith because the metal is so much stronger than regular keys you get from walmart. (walmart will buggar your key if let them try to cut it for you) I programmed the keyless entry myself from a tutorial off this site somewhere. (it's a series of ignition turns and opening and closing your driver door) make sure your fob off eBay is FCC I'd MOZB41TG
Old 08-08-2011, 11:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't think toyota will install something they didn't order through their parts department. because you could easily pull a scam on them and intentionally buy a faulty part and have them install and and then your car goes to ish and then they have to pay for it since they installed it. I'm almost postive they aren't this stupid to install other peoples stuff, they probably won't touch it dude. but you can sure try!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This link sounds like the procedure to program your new keyless entry. Warning: you will look like a crazy person doing this in your driveway!
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...=Keyless+entry
Old 08-08-2011, 12:54 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by criminaltc
i don't think toyota will install something they didn't order through their parts department. because you could easily pull a scam on them and intentionally buy a faulty part and have them install and and then your car goes to ish and then they have to pay for it since they installed it. I'm almost postive they aren't this stupid to install other peoples stuff, they probably won't touch it dude. but you can sure try!
The dealership will touch it as long as it's from Toyota. If it's a key that is made by someone else but looks like an OEM key then the dealership will not touch it. If I was to buy a TRD cold air intake off ebay and have the dealership install it they would. I don't think you will have any problem having them cut and program the key for you cause dealerships are desperate for business considering most people take their vehicles to a mom and pop shop for work but expect to pay anywhere from 60-80 dollars an hour for work done at the dealership.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ometta
The dealership will touch it as long as it's from Toyota. If it's a key that is made by someone else but looks like an OEM key then the dealership will not touch it. If I was to buy a TRD cold air intake off ebay and have the dealership install it they would. I don't think you will have any problem having them cut and program the key for you cause dealerships are desperate for business considering most people take their vehicles to a mom and pop shop for work but expect to pay anywhere from 60-80 dollars an hour for work done at the dealership.

Gotcha. I just didn't want him to run into anything he wasn't warned about, because I have seen it plenty of times. you never know what you are getting with ebay, so i just didn't want him to get screwed because it's some off crap.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:49 PM
SL Member

Your right you never know what you will get off ebay. It could look like an OEM key but it may not really be OEM. I can say that I have bought an uncut key off ebay before for a different car and the dealership was able to program and cut they key for me but they charged me 120 dollars and I payed 50 dollars for the key so I was in it 170 dollars total. I don't really remember but I think it would of been cheaper to just buy the key from them but dealerships will find any way to screw you so you can't win either way.