Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

replacement front speaker

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 05:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default replacement front speaker

My front passenger speaker is blown, and I want to replace it. I tried a cheap-o Kenwood 6.5 speaker and it was worthless. I am trying to decide whether to replace the speaker with a stock pioneer (if I can find one) or replace all of the speakers with aftermarket. I am looking at the alpine sps-610 in the back and alpine sps-610c in the front. I am just worried they will be worse than the stock ones.
The only other changes I want to make at some point would be to upgrade the stock head unit to the premium stock head unit.
Thanks.
Aw
Old 05-06-2012, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an xA and I've never been in an xD, not sure how different the sound systems are so I cannot give you my opinion about the xD.

I do have the alpine 610c in the front and 600 speakers in the rear with an alpine deck.

The rears are really good, made such a huge difference, has good bass.

The 610c is okay ... I did not use the tweeters because the in-line crossover suck which causes high frequencies going into the tweeters and it hurts my ears, assuming that the tweeter position in the xD is the same as the xA by the side mirrors. I'm using the stock tweeters. Buy some speaker harness adapter so you don't have to cut OEM wires unless you don't mind.

It lacks a little bit of bass, but the bass you get from the rears make up for it. With stock, I felt as give I wasn't getting any sound from the rears at all. With the whole setup, it's like having surround sound.

The mounting brackets for the 610s does not fit on the xa, the size is a bit small, I ended up using zip ties through the holes of the brackets to the holes of the chassis. I don't have a drill strong enough to drill through the chassis, at least it holds up.

I don't know what specs is on your stock headunit, but the stock headunits for the older years suck. Upgrading it made night and day. If you decide to upgrade your headunit, I recommend changing out the speakers too because my stock speakers look as if it was on 5 hour energy drinks, pumping hard but going to crash any time.

Last advice: You can look into sound deadening when you change out your speakers. There is DynoMat and Fatmat etc but its pretty expensive. The cheaper way is to go to Low's or Home Depot, they have this mat thing for roofs and I believe it does its job. Forgot the product name but just google sound deadening + lows or home depot it's somewhere.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what ever you do, do NOT put the stuff from Home depot or Lowes into your car. That stuff uses asphalt as an adhesive and is not designed to be used inside a car on vertical surfaces.

There are quality deadeners that are less expensive than Fatmat (which also uses an asphalt adhesive) and Dynamat.

Second Skin and Audio Technix are a couple I can think of off the top of my head.

For the speakers, the easiest way to go about this is to buy some coaxial speakers and just replace the old stock speakers. Disconnect the stock tweeters and done. This will not give you the best sound, but it will be the easiest to install.

You can also get some component speakers and install them in the factory locations. There might be some modifications needed to get the tweeter into the stock location and the wiring is a bit more difficult, but in the end it will give you better sound.

I would do components up front and coaxials in the back. I would try first with the factory radio and see if you are happy with the sound. Then, I would upgrade the radio last. You lose some factory options when you upgrade the radio, but the iPod sound is much better with a new radio. Our factory radios let the iPod do the audio converting, and iPods are really bad at doing that. Aftermarket radios have their own converting capabilities and the sound is much better.

That is my advice
Old 05-06-2012, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

regarding the home depot / lows product, i don't see what's so bad about it. i guess it really depends to what extent do you want to sound deaden your car. but for me, just covering up the main bare sections of the door works well and does its job.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it won't stay is the problem. not on vertical surfaces, not permanently. Plus, there have been tests done that show how ineffective it is at sound dampening. By the time you buy enough product to do the same amount of work, you haven't saved any money.

It's also toxic indoors or enclosed.

It is a roofing product, leave it on the roof.