Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Subwoofer Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:27 PM

Default Subwoofer Help

Hi, I'm new to all this but...
Just curious if anyone has seen any OEM subwoofer enclosures (powered or not) for an xD? I see them around for the xB and the tC, but not for xD? Anybody know why?

Also, would love some ideas on placement of a simple, moderately priced, good sounding sub system to put in my xD. I really don't want to lose cargo space. I just want to add some depth to my system, I don't need people hearing my hatch rattle as I drive down my neighborhood! I'd love to see any pictures if anyone has some examples. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2009, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I havnt found anything for a form fitting prefabricated sub enclosure for the xD.

As far as a moderately simple system that doesnt use up too much cargo space, id say you have a few options.

My amp right now is currently under the front passenger side seat. Stays hidden, has plenty of breathing room, and is pretty simple to run wires to and maintain a simple good look. the only problem with this spot is you have to work with amplifier physical dimensions. i think its something like 14x16x4 or so (id have to go out and measure again for exact specs). for a relaxed system configuration, that is an easy clearance.

for sub enclosures you have a few options. Since part of my job is to run deliveries using the D, I have my sub in a smaller enclosure thats easily moveable, again, not too difficult for a moderate setup. Other options are to use subwoofers like the RE SL line, or the Pioneer Premier thin line, that uses less than .75 cubic ft for a sealed enclosure and less than 1 cubic ft for a ported enclosure. with those types of subs, its possible to fabricate a small fiberglass or even MDF enclosure wwhere that big foam plate is in the back that covers the spare, either cutting some of it out or replacing it entirely.

Problems with that is $$, fiberglassing a custom enclosure can be a little pricey.

Someone else might have other ideas, id say the best bet is to do a Pioneer Premier shallow mount, 10 or an 8, and you can have a box that takes up almost no space and is weight friendly, and run 2-300 watt amp depending on which one you pick.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have pics of my sub in "my profile" that is fit in the spare tire cavity. I had to build a new deck above it to keep from cutting up/re-doing the oem foam one. It sounds great and no loss of space in the back. Amps are under the front seats.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by DXNOICS
I have pics of my sub in "my profile" that is fit in the spare tire cavity. I had to build a new deck above it to keep from cutting up/re-doing the oem foam one. It sounds great and no loss of space in the back. Amps are under the front seats.
Very cool! How does it sound with the cover over it? Is the enclosure just resting inside the wheel, how difficult is it to get out?
Old 05-29-2009, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I made the fiberglass enclosure to rest inside the wheel. It just sets inside, pulls right out if you need to get to the spare. The nice part was I pulled the spare tire out to make the box. There is about an inch clearance at the closest point to the cover, but since the spare is angled it is no problem with the sound. I am very happy with it. There was a guy on Toyotanation who was making them for XB's, so i borrowed the design fom him. It was my first time to work with fiberglass so I had some mistakes, but it did turn out great. I will try to post some more pics in my profile. You have to use a shallow sub for this. The one I used was an Elemental Designs SQ-10.