Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Toyota IST (JDM) armrest / center console in an xD

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's all OEM so it fits perfectly with no alterations. will try to take pics.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, I'd appreciate that. From the pics at the beginning of the post it just looks like the iST armrest doesnt match up to the center console well. Perhaps its because its moved to far back or forwards? Or simply the angle of the picture.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry didn't use the xd all weekend. will try this week when i use the xd.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Andyman
Well, I finally got the armrest that should be available as an option from Scion! A friend in Japan did the legwork, and after some minor hassles at the Toyota dealership there, he bought an Ist JDM armrest (10,500Yen = US$105) and shipped it over here. Shipping cost for the ~2.5kg armrest alone would have cost about $55, for 3 day "express/EMS" delivery. (Or about $30 for 2-3 month "surface" delivery). I got some other stuff too, so express shipping was $80 for a 5kg package.

So the package showed up today, and I got it installed this evening. To summarize, it looks very nice (clearly OEM), feels very sturdy, and is pretty straightforward to install. It took me about a half hour to install, but I was taking my time and snapping lots of pictures. It is held in place by sturdy steel brackets that mount to the seat rails, which seems much more durable (and cleaner to remove) than screws into the plastic. No drilling or modification is required; just inserting and tightening 8 screws. Based on my very limited experience so far, it is comfortable while driving, despite a lack of padding. So if you have any contacts in Japan, I'd highly recommend pursuing this option!
Scroll all the way to the bottom for pictures of the completed installation.

And now if you're still interested, I'll share some more detail and lots of photos of the installation process.

The box contained the armrest/console, instructions in Japanese, a plastic base, a piece of felt/carpet to line the bottom of the compartment, and various mounting hardware:

The console has a lid that slides back and down into the interior, and a cupholder that folds down from the back. This replaces the cupholder that's covered up when this is installed:

Even though the directions are all in Japanese, the pictures/diagrams are easy enough to follow:

The armrest/console screws onto a "saddle", which straddles the cupholder area, and in turn screws onto brackets which mount on the seat rails. The pictures show it better than I can explain it, so here is the driver's side seat rail before installation:

Same seat rail with bracket in place:

(BTW, the brackets don't interfere with movement of the seats.)

Same seat rail with the base of the "saddle" placed on top of the bracket, not yet screwed in:

(Note in the photo above that there is a second set of holes, so there are two placement options, about an inch apart forward and back. I slid the saddle back, and used the rearmost placement option as pictured below).

And a broader view of the saddle mounted in place, before the armrest itself was added:

There are 4 screws that hold the armrest compartment on to the saddle: (After these are screwed in, there is a little piece of felt/carpet supplied to line the bottom of the compartment).

And that's it! Once the compartment is attached to the saddle, it's done. Here's a view of the whole thing, with the seats slid all the way forward, so you can see the saddle:

Once the seats are slid back, you can't see the brackets or saddle at all - it's surprisingly unobtrusive. The sides of the saddle fit very close to the existing parking brake/cupholder assembly, so there's still room to store your road atlas or whatever, and still room to lose stuff that falls out of your pockets ;) .

And here's the final product!

The storage compartment in the console is small, but very functional, and I find it a VERY welcome addition to the limited interior storage in the xD. The compartment is just big enough to fit a few CD cases, or it definitely has room for an ipod, sunglasses, phone charger, and other odds and ends:

(Also, you can see that the little storage nook (where I keep some keys) is still accessible.)

Well, that's my description of the process - hope it was helpful or at least moderately interesting!

As for my opinions in use, I haven't taken this on any long trips yet (ask me after Easter), but after a brief test drive, it feels great. The height and placement is just right to rest my elbow while driving, and I can reach the shifter with my elbow rested on the front of the console. It's obviously not padded as well as the Zeta armrest, and that might become more noticeable after a long trip. But at least so far, it doesn't feel hard or uncomfortable at all.
The openings (main compartment and cupholder) both slide easily and feel solid, with little to no play or slop. There is no flex at all in the armrest itself - the mounting system is extremely solid.
It clearly looks OEM (and there's a reason for that...) - the plastic matches perfectly, and it lines up well with the parking brake and the little storage bin next to the parking brake. There is enough clearance to use the parking brake easily. Overall, a very nice system - why in the world isn't it available on this side of the world?!?

Please let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like more pictures,
Andy
Nice install looks very clean

Old 05-16-2011, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

These usually go for ~180 on ebay, but this one is an auction. So somebody could score a deal. Also Andyman, it looks like they ripped off your pics man.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...Q5fAccessories
Old 10-20-2013, 10:52 PM

Hi

I have a Toyota Ist. 2007 from Japan. I live in the Caribbean where we drive on the other side of the road! Can this armrest work for me? Where the driver is on the right side of the car?

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2013, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member

I just ordered a brand new aftermarket armrest/console off eBay that was around $40 shipped to my door. The piece is awesome! Color matches, the flip-up top top is padded & has a nice leather look, & it's sturdy.

The single biggest mystery to me is why Toyota doesn't equip these cars with something that is so 100% needed. Thankfully we have options. To date, the biggest thing (by far) I hated about this car was no armrest & console.

ETA: Link to product I purchased: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2012-Sc...item5af2d291bc
Old 11-15-2017, 07:16 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Thumbs up

Old 08-23-2023, 09:44 PM

Default Anyone still interested in 2023

Found this on this site for $93 shipped to the us for anyone interested.

https://en.impex-jp.com/parts/new/se...No=08471-52330

Must create an account first to order.

For anyone else interested in something aftermarket I found one on aliexpress for a Yaris/vita that should fit. Will update on arrival. This was the most sturdy design I could find with the support in the front.

https://m.aliexpress.us/item/2255801...yAdapt=glo2usa