Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

'09 models

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 05:56 AM

I too questioned that inventory at Seattle Scion as my dealer kept telling me unless I wanted Black or Red they could not locate any 2008 XD's in my color (s) I put a depost down on the 1st and it is now the 10th. I finally talked to them again and they said that by the end of next week he will know if my colors are coming on the next shipment which is due out between the 17-21st. Other dealers seem to have different info regarding 2009's and in fact the Seattle Scion said they will have some next week. MY dealer is stating Sept/Oct as the 2008 are still being made ??. I really don't like all this confusion. If the car is not going to be available then don't take my deposit and if it is going to be for the 2009 I guess I need to know that.

Frustrated..thanks for this site as I will now try to call them again and get some further questions answered.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nicolina
I too questioned that inventory at Seattle Scion as my dealer kept telling me unless I wanted Black or Red they could not locate any 2008 XD's in my color (s) I put a depost down on the 1st and it is now the 10th. I finally talked to them again and they said that by the end of next week he will know if my colors are coming on the next shipment which is due out between the 17-21st. Other dealers seem to have different info regarding 2009's and in fact the Seattle Scion said they will have some next week. MY dealer is stating Sept/Oct as the 2008 are still being made ??. I really don't like all this confusion. If the car is not going to be available then don't take my deposit and if it is going to be for the 2009 I guess I need to know that.

Frustrated..thanks for this site as I will now try to call them again and get some further questions answered.
Yeah, I'm a bit frustrated too... it seems like the dealers are as confused as we are.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:02 PM
SL Member

This is what the Seattle Scion sales person wrote me:

"We are currently having to maintain a wait-list to manage the incredible demand for the 2009 Model that will begin to arrive later this month."

I certainly cannot believe that the 2008's are still being made.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My dealer spent this morning trying to track down a blue, gray, or black xD in the WNY/PA/Ohio Valley with no luck... he also said there were no more 08 xD's at port and that while the info is pretty limited, all indications are that the first 09s will arrive within a month, hopefully by the beginning of August. In general, 5 speeds are much harder to find right now that the automatics. He also indicated that he expected $100 to be tacked onto the MSRP... hopefully he's right on that account and its not more.

...I'm just guessing, but it sounds to me like Scion is trying not to take the excitement away from the limited release of the RS 1.0, while quietly preparing to release the 09s immediately after that market runs its course.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ ur exactly right. in my allocation list the only 08 xds we are still gettin are the rs series. we still havent been told anything over here so i just tel people i dont know yet of whats going on rather than speculate hah
Old 07-11-2008, 09:02 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by sodo_moj0
...I'm just guessing, but it sounds to me like Scion is trying not to take the excitement away from the limited release of the RS 1.0, while quietly preparing to release the 09s immediately after that market runs its course.
That thought also crossed my mind. GMTA
Old 07-12-2008, 05:57 AM

OK I called my dealer back about what I have heard regarding the 08's d my concerns. He then started looking at some computer about production and stated he did not see that any are in production. I then told him I have heard they are releasing soon and my own investigative research. He then started looking through his e-mails and found an e-mail stating exactly what I told him about the 08's they have discontinued making any as the new 09's will roll out in the next few weeks in which he state that will probably be mid month (August) He also stated if it falls in line with the TC and XB it will be only $100 more. So I am now waiting for the 2009 blue or grey. He tried to sell me on a manual grey but I want an automatic. SO we are all good now..I just have to wait longer..and maybe I should not have to do so much research here. He did thank me for my research although he had the info in his e-mails. I am glad I could be of service

Nicolina in Seattle.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:12 PM
SL Member

Ya, it seems the dealers are giving everybody the run-around & I'm totally unimpressed. I was told today "There will not be many released at any particular time, but we have an opportunity to request vehicles." Give me a break! I'm starting to look at the Honda Fit & the Nissan Versa instead, but the 2009 Fit doesn't come out until Sept. Oh, well, so it goes...........................guess I'll just wait a couple months.

PS - Nicolina,
You were extremely nice to straighten out this salesperson & let them know what's going on. But, it's their job to know the most current/up-to-date info.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by notanoldfogyjustold
Ya, it seems the dealers are giving everybody the run-around & I'm totally unimpressed. I was told today "There will not be many released at any particular time, but we have an opportunity to request vehicles." Give me a break! I'm starting to look at the Honda Fit & the Nissan Versa instead, but the 2009 Fit doesn't come out until Sept. Oh, well, so it goes...........................guess I'll just wait a couple months.

PS - Nicolina,
You were extremely nice to straighten out this salesperson & let them know what's going on. But, it's their job to know the most current/up-to-date info.
I test drove the Fit notfogy and I felt like I was driving an electric golf cart. The back seat and trunk space engineering is amazing, but the power leaves a lot to be desired, even with a 5 speed. I've owned Nissan's before and don't really have a desire to own another... and so, we wait.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:55 AM
SL Member

[I test drove the Fit notfogy and I felt like I was driving an electric golf cart. The back seat and trunk space engineering is amazing, but the power leaves a lot to be desired, even with a 5 speed. I've owned Nissan's before and don't really have a desire to own another... and so, we wait.
Thanks for the input on the Nissan. I wasn't at all impressed with what I've read so far, but the Fit is a different story. If it felt like an electric golf cart, that might not be so awful for somebody approaching "oldfogydom". I'm quite a bit out of the Scion demographic age range, don't really spend a lot of time in my car and don't really care about all the audio bells & whistles. So, back to waiting and thinking till the '09's come out.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does it really matter what the age range is for marketing? If you like the car, it feels comfortable, it has what the bare minimum perks you're looking for, get it.

I've been in a Fit, a Sentra, a Versa and a Mazda 3. I love the Mazda 3 but that was too pricey for me. The Nissans were lacking in power. The Fit was great but felt too cheapy inside. With the xD it is cheap on the inside, but it doesn't feel like that and you get a lot of great small features for a $16k car.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:26 AM
SL Member

yeah im in the wait till september line as well. If i get an xD it will be an 09. But by then i will be waiting on the 09 fit since it is just around the corner as well. But right about then is when honda will show the new sub $20k hybrid based on the fit.... and if it can be had with a manual then ill be waiting till spring for it. Anyway i wish i knew more about he new fit like MPG, safety crash tests (07-08 had poor reat crash test), and when i was really coming out. Gotta assume it matches teh xD and wait to compare shop it.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:45 AM

Well I got tired of the run around..having to do all the research for the dealer and finally being told by 2 other scion dealers it is looking more like September for the XD's So I reevaluated the fit sport today. ANd walked out with the fit. I did some homework so I got an OK deal just not easy right now with the little cars. I had to haggle for my price a bit and since I got the price down they were not going to give me the cash incentive..so almost walked out. Then they offered it. Then they totally low balled my trade in $4500. Edmunds was saying $5400 I did not like that either so we went back and forth 10 times finally I settled at $6300 which is what dealer 1 offered..I sould of squeezed out some more on that. Needless to say I have a car TODAY now I have to get my ransom money back from dealer 1 but we did not sign any papers of agreement and they did not locate a car. I did talk to the general mananger today who told me I could get my refund when the buisness office is open.
I have a grand cherokee and travel 25 miles to work..I could not continue waiting. It is more cost effective to ge tout now. My car payment will pay for the crappy gas mileage on the jeep. I also got a really nice blackberry color very slick.

I would only buy the Fit in the sport model and the price is only about $500 more then the XD. I still like the XD..

Oh and Seattle Scion was the one today that said they are not in production yet so it looks like mid Sept...so again different information then 2 days ago. They then tried to sell me a Honda fit but there inventory was low so I went to a bigger dealer.

Good luck all

Nicolina Seattle
Old 07-13-2008, 02:00 PM
SL Member

I originally set out to get the Fit until i saw that teh rear side crash test is only 3 star and the IIHS rates rear impact as poor but they rate side rear as Good.
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_res...nts.aspx?honda
This is the only thing that bothers me about these small cars. Teh trunk overhang is small and they rear crash test at nly 20mph with a car weighing the same. AND the fit did poor under those conditions so i couldnt purchase it. Fit does have 5 star front though.

Anyway i am hypermiling in my WRX which helps a lot so i can wait till Sept. Hopefully my clutch wont get worse in the mean time. It is a $1000 repair on the WRX with its AWD and what not.

Fit is a darn good car though. Ive started looking at the 09 vibe base. Size closer to an xB and the engine of an xD. It also splits the weight difference. Only thing is it has a pontiac logo on it. other than that it is the cool toyota matrix that should have been
Old 07-13-2008, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by notanoldfogyjustold
[I test drove the Fit notfogy and I felt like I was driving an electric golf cart. The back seat and trunk space engineering is amazing, but the power leaves a lot to be desired, even with a 5 speed. I've owned Nissan's before and don't really have a desire to own another... and so, we wait.
Thanks for the input on the Nissan. I wasn't at all impressed with what I've read so far, but the Fit is a different story. If it felt like an electric golf cart, that might not be so awful for somebody approaching "oldfogydom". I'm quite a bit out of the Scion demographic age range, don't really spend a lot of time in my car and don't really care about all the audio bells & whistles. So, back to waiting and thinking till the '09's come out.
More info on the Nissan... we own a 99 Altima with about 100k on it... not a horrible service record history, but it underperforms its EPA estimate gas mileage by a lot and I don't like the way it drives because of a problem with the fuel injectors (which we've fixed twice already)... hard to pin down a specific reason, but I wouldn't care to own another Nissan (I have rented other Nissan's and found they all drive similarly).

Re: the Fit... the standard model does not come w/ Cruise Control and so you have to go with the sport, which means you'll be shelling out more than for an xD. I felt like it was totally gutless (worse than my old 86 Tercel) with a 5 speed getting onto the highway on a flat on ramp. The one I get on everyday is uphill... I don't want to deal with it, but its a fine little automobile and a nice alternative to the xD... just wasn't my cup of tea (and so, we wait).

I think if I was going to go another way, I'd go with TX and go after a Vibe (which is manufactured by Toyota). And I am by no means the target demo... I mean, I'm 28, but I don't plan to mod the car at all... I just fell in love with the xD on the test drive.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drove the Fit (Sport model), and I, too, felt like I was driving an electric golf cart. It was not comfortable, and it made me feel claustrophobic. When I drove the xD, I couldn't believe the difference. I was so pleased with the way it drove and the driving position. You get so much more for your money on the xD, and it is a hell of a lot more fun to drive.

P.S. I'm 36, so I hardly fit the demographic, but who cares? I love my car!
Old 07-13-2008, 05:44 PM
SL Member

Thanks, you guys are making me rethink my decision to look for something else. It really is about what appeals to me, rather than what a manufacturer thinks their target is and I've always been one who likes different/unusual things. I wasn't very happy at all when I read the rear end crash test results last night for the Fit (eg - poor). Sent off an e-mail to the Honda dealer asking him if this issue is being addressed in the 2009 redesign. Guess I'll wait, along w/everybody else, for the 2009 xD's and go from there. Would just be nice to have a more definitive date.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Notanold: I bought an 08' xD from Toyota of Seattle (Seattle Scion) last August. PM me if you want some feedback on the dealership.

btw I am also "too old" for the demographics.

So far I like the xD - especially bangforbuck and balance of mileage/performance - but it is not perfect. An inexpensive economy car after all. The seats could be better designed for long trips, as an example.

For what it's worth: The '09 Fit is a clean-sheet design and is supposed to be significantly improved. Knowing Honda that's probably true. The '09 xD is a tweak job with little known about specifics. Tho' I preferred the xD last year, the Fit Sport was a close second. Since I've done a lot of suspension modding to the xD, the Fit Sport would probably have been cheaper. However, I too was concerned about rear crash tests and relative lack of power. Also local Honda dealers were price gouging, something Scion dealers can't do. But the Fit's interior usability was outstanding. Anyway, might be worth waiting - as you said - and try them both in the Fall.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:58 AM

Honda Fit 09 supposedly arrives in September/October.

My best guess (from various sources) is that the Scion xD 09 should be selling sometime in August. This is the most logical guess, since LAST YEAR'S MODEL (Scion xD 200 shipped initially in August 2007. That would be exactly 1 year gap.

July needs to end.... soon....
Old 07-14-2008, 12:56 PM
SL Member

I have been told they do not arive until Sept by the scion dealers here in Austin. But we have seen how different each part of the country is with supply ( we have had the 09 xBs since early june). I wouuld count on Sept

Quick Reply: '09 models