Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Dealers honoring web-site Pure Pricing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 06:47 AM

Default Dealers honoring web-site Pure Pricing?

Going to dealer this weekend recommended by AAA. Their website has xD msrp and accessory pricing. Other Scion dealer in my area has similar website but no price on accessories.

Dealers are free to charge their own price but I think they would be pretty stupid to mark up msrp too much with added fees. In California, the doc fee is limited to $55.00. I've read horror stories that some dealers use web-site pricing to entice potential buyers but the "pure-price" is marked way up when the buyer visits the dealer, especially the accessories.

Please reply with your experiences- especially all you Californians! My '92 Corolla is being sold tomorrow and I'm getting anxious about my first new car purchase- the Scion xD!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:48 AM
SL Member

What city do you live in??? If you're in the SF Bay Area, I could recommend you to a couple of dealerships who will only charge you what's shown on the Scion website...
Old 08-24-2007, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Red_xD
What city do you live in??? If you're in the SF Bay Area, I could recommend you to a couple of dealerships who will only charge you what's shown on the Scion website...
Thanks but I live in Palm Springs. I'm hoping this dealer is no BS but won't know until I actually sit down and buy the car.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It looks like the Dealers in DFW only charge what is on the website. But I was checking the Scion Dealership in Witchita to see if they could get me my car sooner, they had all sorts of BS fees they would charge. $199 dealer fee. Another fee cause they had to get the car from another dealership ($1 per mile). Then they also wanted an addition fee over the alloy rims and over the Navigation to install it. On top of that they offered $1500 less for my trade. I was like Nope I think I will wait longer for the car to come in here.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by haskovec
It looks like the Dealers in DFW only charge what is on the website. But I was checking the Scion Dealership in Witchita to see if they could get me my car sooner, they had all sorts of BS fees they would charge. $199 dealer fee. Another fee cause they had to get the car from another dealership ($1 per mile). Then they also wanted an addition fee over the alloy rims and over the Navigation to install it. On top of that they offered $1500 less for my trade. I was like Nope I think I will wait longer for the car to come in here.
That sucks, $199 "dealer fee?" I'm thinking that's a variation on the "doc fee." Does Texas have a limit on those fees? I've read its real bad in Florida where some dealers stick a $900 fee on consumers!

I went to AAA because dealer they recommend usually do the below invoice or whatever pricing but Scion and Toyota Hybrids are exempt. Its MSRP all the way. But AAA said accessories may be negotiable. I'm looking for Scion Security System but if I can a better deal on Lo Jack, I'll get that and do an alarm somewhere else.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay, i'm not sure what has happened, but new scions are and always have been pure pricing, which means the dealerships can't sell them for anything over the msrp, some dealerships can sell them at a discounted price.

now, there are some additions fees, tax, tag, and title fee's. this is something that is in every state and varries.

some dealerships try and screw people with bogus fees they tack on.

toyotas are not pure pricing.

scion accessories are negotiable because they can just screw you on the installation cost later anyway.

get your scion accessories from www.trdsparks.com
Old 08-25-2007, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You should not have a problem. There are lots of dealers in Socal and most will sell you a stock unit without a lot of add ons. No one will mark up the base price on you.........
Old 08-25-2007, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't get an XD....get the XA.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by niteowl
That sucks, $199 "dealer fee?" I'm thinking that's a variation on the "doc fee." Does Texas have a limit on those fees? I've read its real bad in Florida where some dealers stick a $900 fee on consumers!

I went to AAA because dealer they recommend usually do the below invoice or whatever pricing but Scion and Toyota Hybrids are exempt. Its MSRP all the way. But AAA said accessories may be negotiable. I'm looking for Scion Security System but if I can a better deal on Lo Jack, I'll get that and do an alarm somewhere else.
I haven't really seen any of the Texas Dealers doing the BS fees, that was in Kansas. The problem with the Texas dealers is that Gulf States Toyota can't seem to get me a Manual Nautical Blue with VSC in under 4 months. They can get in in 8 weeks in Kansas, but of course they will nickle and dime you on so much crap I will just wait for them to get it here.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:09 AM

AAA confirmed that some cars, especially really popular ones like the Prius are exempt from the dealer Auto Club price. Unfortunately, she also confirmed Scion is one those exemptions- especially the xD since its new. I'm praying I can deal on the accessories.

The internet manager informed me I may get the VIN on Monday for the Nautical Blue Automatic but I'll be lucky if the car arrives by the 30th. The xD is coming straight from Japan to the port in Long Beach, so it could still be in the middle of the Pacific for all I know. I'm wondering if all the Scions have to go to Long Beach or if some ships go to the Gulf Coast to service the south and mid-west?

Anyway, in California, the Scion dealers have to post the $55 doc fee on their websites but I'm wondering if they omit the BS fees like installation and dealer prep. I'm dealing directly with the internet/fleet manager who is supposed to be easier to deal with than a sales person because they concentrate on volume sales rather than commission, I'm basically taking AAA word for it.

I've secured financing so I won't have to deal with the dreaded F & I department. And I'm also getting the GAP insurance from my current carrier. The only thing I have to deal with is the "out the door" price.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:24 AM
SL Member

Good luck with your purchase!
Old 08-27-2007, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

website pricing must match selling price!all fees r 2 be posted as well.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by TheUglyOne
Don't get an XD....get the XA.
BS just bought an xD after some serious searching. xA's are cool but the engine is anemic and the styling of the xD is better IMHO.

as far as the post topic pure prcing i beleive applies and is being enfocrd

i think dealers can discount older models if they are not moving but couldnt get confirmation i know there are some 06 xB's around these parts that are geting lots of attention due to the 1stGen status of them and the 08's style change .

the xD is the sleeper car of the year. it long list of std features cannot be beat. the only thing that sucks was the $6XX.00 destination fee

other than that the only factory option (easy flamers not talking accessories here) is the auto trans and stability control.... we got our sw auto xD for $15,9XX