2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Just put my money down!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Just put my money down!

The Golf sold today (well, the ebay auction ended, at least), so I ordered my xD with a $500 deposit. Looks like it's going to take a month, since I really want VSC and a manual transmission. Seems to be a rare combination around here. Out of the three local Scion dealerships, and a combined 25 or 30 xD's, onlt ONE of them had a manual transmission!

So what's the deal... not many of you guys/gals option for VSC? I hear it's going to be mandatory in the next few years. Supposed to be the best thing in automotive safety since the invention of the seatbelt. We have four VWs in the family with their version of VSC (they call it ESP), and it is amazing. It's hard to get them to lose traction on a wet track. Anyway...

I think I'm set on the options:
-VSC
-TRD shocks & struts
-TRD sway bar
-TRD short shift kit
-floor/trunk mats
-16" alloys

Any suggestions?
Old 11-23-2008, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

VSC slows down the car on autocross. No VSC also helps me learn my cars limitations and characteristics of the tires i use which can be harder to comprehend if you have a computer telling you "No, bad boy!"
Thats just me though, if your just DD, etc then by all means pack it on :D My dealer speaks highly of it and even said it shoulda came stock on all xDs. I cringe at the thought lol

I would purchase the options outside financing if you could, youll save in the long run and possible get a better deal elsewhere i.e. Toyota Sparks. All the options are great though, especially the suspension goodies

I was thinking about getting a VW Rabbit at the last minute since same prices, but I opted for the xD due to mpg (Rabbit almost shared mpg with the WRX which wasn't working at $4 a gallon )
Old 11-23-2008, 05:32 AM
Banned
SL Member

Before I got my xD i had a 2008 GTI, esp was ok but it didnt really do anything for me, I like having it off(had it off 99% of the time), taking the corners hard and pulling myself out of it, but yea it was good for DD. Due to not making financial reasons the GTI had to go though. The xD is the downgrade that had to be made.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

VSC slows down the car on autocross. No VSC also helps me learn my cars limitations and characteristics of the tires i use which can be harder to comprehend if you have a computer telling you "No, bad boy!"
Well, I'm not going to be doing any autocross, but I can be a 'spirited' driver at times. The nice thing is that you can always turn VSC off if you want to. It is not only the safety aspect, but I have a feeling that VSC will raise the resale value down the road once VSC (or whatever others call it) is mandatory, just like seatbelts and airbags.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get the turd parts seperately, not as a dealer option. it'll be cheeaper and if you do it yourself, you learn a tiny bit more about the car.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get the turd parts seperately,
Yeah, I thought about doing that. I have access to a lift and a full (Mercedes) garage of tools. I'm sure the sway bar would be a snap to install... but I wasn't sure about the shocks and struts... pretty easy for a moderately skilled shadetree mechanic?

Where's the best place to buy the TRD parts? I imagine shipping would be outrageous on such bulky, heavy parts.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, and since I talked myself out of the nav system (SNS), I went out and bought a Garmin Nuvi 260W today. That's my first "mod" and I don't even have the car yet!
Old 11-23-2008, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

Congrats

As far as options from the dealer, stay away. You can get a way beter deal online. Oh, and I also saw that you are going to get a rear sway bar, good choice!
Old 11-25-2008, 05:58 AM

I would purchase the options outside financing if you could, youll save in the long run and possible get a better deal elsewhere i.e. Toyota Sparks. All the options are great though, especially the suspension goodies

san antonio limo service
Old 11-25-2008, 10:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I checked out Sparks, and the prices seem pretty good. As long as the shipping doesn't kill me, I'll probably order most of the options through them. I'll probably order the car with the 16" alloys and the short shifter, then order the suspension parts and floor mats from Sparks. That'll save me enough money to get some other goodies! Plus I'll still have the original shocks and struts that I can either sell or keep around just in case.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There aren't any xD's with 5-speed and VSC within 250 miles (except in white... which ain't gonna cut it). They're going to order mine on Dec 1st and it should come in by the end of December. Unfortunately, I just sold my Golf... so I gotta go a month with no car. So, I get to drive the Sprinter van to work or carpool with my fiancee and get to work 1.5 hours early. Dang it!
Old 11-26-2008, 04:39 PM

I had to wait three weeks for my xD (blue, with VSC) but it was worth it.

I do reommend having VSC, especially on a light car. I know several people who swear by it, and one who says it saved his life (or at least a totalled car) one time when driving fast in poor weather.

And Garmin is the way to go when it comes to nav IMO.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:59 PM

I too had to wait about a month for my VSC xD form the land of the rising sun. But good things come to those who wait . I wanted to have the VSC cause all you need is that one time and you may nerver forgive yourself for being inpatient. I also went with an aftermarket Navi (tom tom 730 - loving it). It actually has more features than my OEM navi on my IS.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:34 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default Re: Just put my money down!

Your stats are almost identical to mine - a 2008. I found my VSC manual by accident - was on the lot. I had the dealer add the 16" TRD rims and sway. I added the springs, shocks, and struts myself. I installed the TRD shift kit and also did the 7 minutes of labor to install a TRD exhaust. I added the Scion spoiler and I also added the TRD free-flow filter but I am suspicious if that has any value overall.

Once done, this car drives as it should have off the showroom floor. It's no longer a high riding stagecoach with awful top-heavy handling. The car is spritely, although its not a pocket rocket. It does handle well with the upgrades now. The exhaust makes the car audible, but isn't annoying.

I love this car, but would have been unhappy with it as stock.

I am considering a K&N intake although the logical side of me knows this is likely snake-oil. K&N reports a 5 HP increase, but that is almost imperceptible percentage wise.

Stay away from the NST crap - it's all hype. There are a few vocal folks who swear by it, but try to find empirical data and you get suspect evidence and lots of inconclusive data. The NST short shift kit is missing some crucial parts compared to the TRD unit - I have tried both and have found that the TRD kit is SIGNIFICANTLY smoother. With the NST kit. you get cable binding which makes the map-feel more vague. With the TRD kit, you get additional parts which relocate the linkage cables and prevent cable binding.

Good luck on your new purchase! The car is solidly reliable and seriously quirky - very cool indeed!

Originally Posted by mcbrew
The Golf sold today (well, the ebay auction ended, at least), so I ordered my xD with a $500 deposit. Looks like it's going to take a month, since I really want VSC and a manual transmission. Seems to be a rare combination around here. Out of the three local Scion dealerships, and a combined 25 or 30 xD's, onlt ONE of them had a manual transmission!

So what's the deal... not many of you guys/gals option for VSC? I hear it's going to be mandatory in the next few years. Supposed to be the best thing in automotive safety since the invention of the seatbelt. We have four VWs in the family with their version of VSC (they call it ESP), and it is amazing. It's hard to get them to lose traction on a wet track. Anyway...

I think I'm set on the options:
-VSC
-TRD shocks & struts
-TRD sway bar
-TRD short shift kit
-floor/trunk mats
-16" alloys

Any suggestions?
Old 11-28-2008, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PHATBLK, I read your posts about the NST ssk vs. the TRD. You changed my mind about ordering the NST kit. I'm not going to get the lower springs since I need some ground clearance, which my Golf was lacking.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:31 AM
Banned
SL Member

HOLD ON!

Before you pull the trigger - understand that the lowering springs don't make the car that low!

You will find that, without a mild lowering, the xD rides HIGH! Some folks have likened it to a stagecoach.

Compared to my lowered xD, I bet your Golf was lower.

You will find a MARKED improvement in road feel and handling with the TRD springs.

If you don't do it at the dealer, you can save SIGNIFICANT money by doing it yourself. Takes a few hours and is NOT rocket science although it does require that you follow a bunch of steps. I had my brother with me, but he provided only minimal advantage. I could have done it myself in the same time.

All you need is basic tools - TWO jacks, and SPACE. A one car garage wont cut it!

Originally Posted by mcbrew
PHATBLK, I read your posts about the NST ssk vs. the TRD. You changed my mind about ordering the NST kit. I'm not going to get the lower springs since I need some ground clearance, which my Golf was lacking.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think it "rides like a stagecoach" without the lowering springs. I don't find it has a top-heavy drive, either. To each their own, but I think you are exaggerating a whole hell of a lot.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:19 AM
Banned
SL Member

I'll stand by my statement and insist I am not exaggerating.

Toyota is selling this car as the Urban Cruiser in europe, partially due to it's SUV style stance and handling. Google it, you will see.

The Yaris, built upon the same platform suffers from the same common handling attributes.

There are those who are not troubled by the ride - I understand that. However, there are plenty of people who want the xD to drive and handle like a car (as opposed to a SUV). Lowering does a fantastic job of making this a reality.

Originally Posted by oboogie
I don't think it "rides like a stagecoach" without the lowering springs. I don't find it has a top-heavy drive, either. To each their own, but I think you are exaggerating a whole hell of a lot.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ehh the springs also reduce wheel well gap too. Makes it look more aggressive...something he's probably used to from his golf. agressive look. I say do the springs. Heck. If you have the money look into the TRD Coilovers. Adjustable ride height FTW!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2008, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nah... not really interested in lowering it. It handles well enough for me. Maybe I'll change my mind some day... who knows!

As far as doing the installations myself... I just finished up a spreadsheet with the difference between buying the following items with the car or buying them from TDI Sparks and ScionPartsPeople and installing them myself:

-TRD shocks.struts
-TRD sway bar
-Cargo cover
-Cargo mat
-Floor mats
-LED tail lights (can't help it... love the look!)

If I buy them myself and do the installations myself, I will save only $393.28 over having Scion add them on. That's basically one payment. Even though I have a garage, tools, and a lift available, I don't think I'll bother for less than a $100 difference. About the only reason to consider it is that I'd still have the take-off shocks, struts, and OEM tail lights. Again, it's not worth it for me. I know why many of you recommend it... but with the serious lack of spare time I have, it just doesn't make sense for me to do it.

Quick Reply: Just put my money down!