Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

key contoled power for accessories

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 05:34 PM
SL Member

Default key contoled power for accessories

i am trying to find a place to tap into that will be hot when the key is on, and not with the key off. i have done this on tons of other cars, but i cant seem to find a fuse that is key controlled. where are you guys taping into to power your mods?
Old 08-10-2008, 09:35 PM
SL Member

I used the grey wire which is part of the dome light circuit for my radar detector without problems, but it does not draw much and is only on when the key is turned on but delay shuts off till the door is opened or about a minute, whichever comes first.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just use a "add a circuit" from autozone. access the fuse pnl under dash, either check fuse pnl chart for something thats hot when cars on, on use a ground tester
Old 08-11-2008, 01:57 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by cobaltbravo
just use a "add a circuit" from autozone. access the fuse pnl under dash, either check fuse pnl chart for something thats hot when cars on, on use a ground tester
ya, thats what im doing. i cant find a fuse that is key on hot.!! driving me crazy.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

accessory
Old 08-11-2008, 04:41 AM
SL Member

hey i was wondering when the freaking spelling police would show up! You folks really amaze me, its like something from the show monk or something. lol
Old 08-11-2008, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What the hell are you talking about? Accessory is HOT when the car is ON.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:13 PM
SL Member

what i mean is, i need a fuse, or a wire that becomes hot when the key is on, and then off again when they key is turned off.

this is my first new car, they are not like the old school cars where it is easy to find wires like that. i don’t want to go ripping things apart to find a place to tap into, i am hoping someone has found one and can share it with the group.

fyi, i am wanting a few more cigarette lighter plugs, i have them in now, but they are directly wired to the battery until i can find a key powered wire.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, just wow.

Go buy an automotive relay, 30amp will do.

Wire it as follows:

85 - Tap into the GREY/GRAY ACCESSORY wire under the dash on drivers side. Either at steering column or REFER TO THE PICTURE ABOVE.
86 - Ground
87 - constant 12v fused @ how ever many amps you are pulling, but do not excede the power ratings on the wire you're using. (from battery)
30 - Wire whatever you need to power here (POSITIVE ONLY)

Please, I hope to god you grounded the wire for everything you're running as close as you can to the battery.

The reason for running a relay, is so you have a HOT source when the car or ignition is ON, but when it's OFF, IT'S no longer on.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:25 AM
SL Member

wow just wow? what is so amazing here? i know you are 17 and all, but trust me the world or i , is not a stupid as you think.

All i was looking for is the wire; the insulting comments are not needed.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cigardave
Originally Posted by tmrepp
accessory
hey i was wondering when the freaking spelling police would show up! You folks really amaze me, its like something from the show monk or something. lol
Were you not talking to me? This is what the wow, just wow was referring to. Wasn't trying to say you were dumb, wasn't talking down to you or anything.. I was telling you that the ACCESSORY wire, the GREY/GRAY wire that a picture was posted of is switched (switched being HOT when car is running or ignition is on)
Old 08-12-2008, 06:21 AM
SL Member

to me that comment meant you were amazed how stupid you think i am, and that’s usually how that is used. but if you didn’t mean it that way, fine.

ya, i understand the gray is an acc, thanks for that info. that can not be the only accessory hot wire. i didnt want to run 2 plugs and a few other things off that one wire.

i had not thought of the relay until you said it, that will do what i am wanting thanks for that info too.

like i said, i have done lots of auto electric things on old cars, I had rewired Harleys many time…bla bla bla…i guess im just freaked out a bit dealing with a new car. i keep thinking there is a self destruct feature, if do something wrong the car will blow up lol.