Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Looking for Upgrades

Old 09-12-2012, 02:46 AM

Lightbulb Looking for Upgrades

I am a new 2013 xD owner (trading out of a 2008 xB - my wife still has her 2011 xB), and I am looking to do a bit of upgrading. I've done the arm rest already, because we do a lot of distance driving, but I would like to upgrade the headlamps, grill, and possibly the engine intake and exhaust system. Can anyone show me some <good> options for websites, brick and mortar stores, etc. for parts? I'm totally new to the upgrade scene, and would prefer not to be had on my first go. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are a few sites, for a little bit of everything you can use andysautosport.com
there is also dezod.com. carid.com, and corsport.com. I've tried a few brick and mortar stores for parts, but modding the xD was not very commercialized, do you have to get creative with some of the stuff. Grill, you're probably best off getting something from ebay. Intake, if you're wanting to go cai, buy a kit, but if you're just going short ram try something like this
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158384
essentially the same thing as a short ram, just $100 cheaper
happy modding!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the best value for the power would be the Injen cold air intake. you can pick it up for around $200 on ebay, i had the k&n short ram and it rotted out like they all seem to in very short time, so i replaced it with the Injen cold air intake and was very impressed with the difference. The official numbers are 8hp and 9ftlbs of torque gained over the stock intake. I can definitely notice the torque increase over the k&n. As far as exhaust systems go, mine is custom because i got my xd before they made a cat-back for it. But I'd recommend either the Strup or DC Sports cat-back systems. I also found noticeable torque gains from my weapon-r header, but the DC one is essentially the same if you want the same company for your whole exhaust. Also the light-weight crank pully is a good investment for quicker acceleration.

they don't make any aftermarket headlights for our car, but you can upgrade to HID bulbs. i have HID foglights and headlights.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

For the intake, just buy a spectra filter from pep boys and remove the snorkel in the engine bay. It will give you the same exact increase as any big brand intake on the market and you will save about $165.

HIDs, recommend 5000k HIDs. Anything higher will look cheap.

Exhaust, best sounding exhaust IMO is the TRD. It keeps it quiet on the highway but gives you a nice rumble while accelerating. Of course this is purely subjective. You will not see any HP gains with an axleback and MAYBE 1 or 2 HP with a cat-back exhaust.

Is your car a manual transmission? My recommended first upgrade is a short throw shifter. Second recommendation is TRD springs. Keep the comfort and ride quality while making the car look a lot nicer.

Miss my 08 xD.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Spectre intake can't touch the gains of the Injen intake, but it is way cheaper. And I'd stay away from TRD parts if you can, they're way overpriced.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xdpilot
I am a new 2013 xD owner (trading out of a 2008 xB - my wife still has her 2011 xB), and I am looking to do a bit of upgrading. I've done the arm rest already, because we do a lot of distance driving, but I would like to upgrade the headlamps, grill, and possibly the engine intake and exhaust system. Can anyone show me some <good> options for websites, brick and mortar stores, etc. for parts? I'm totally new to the upgrade scene, and would prefer not to be had on my first go. Thanks!
If your xD is manual, you should check out the small wonder TWM Performance has to offer you! Check it out at the link below ;)

http://www.twmperformance.com/shorts...rtshifters.htm

PM me for a forum-member $discount$ ;)

Renato
Team TWM Performance