2008-2010 [ZSP110]

miami winners - xD in matador red?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Default miami winners - xD in matador red?

hey people who went to miami . . . been meaning to ask this. do you think the xD's color at the revealing was matador red from the lexus gs? i looked at it pretty close and i think that's it, if not pretty close . . . tell me what you think!

Old 12-29-2006, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm thinking it was a little darker than that color but then again the room was pretty dark.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member

mmm...I think it was a little darker too. I loved that shade of red!!
Old 12-29-2006, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

i think the internet is playing pranks on us, everyone go to your local lexus dealer and ask to see a matador red car! i think that's the color . . . i am looking at one right now, lol
Old 12-29-2006, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by shorberg
i think the internet is playing pranks on us, everyone go to your local lexus dealer and ask to see a matador red car! i think that's the color . . . i am looking at one right now, lol
that's not fair...you have the upper hand!!! LOL Besides it's too deeyam cold to go to a Lexus dealer.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

lol, i could be wrong, but i am guessing that is what it was! i can't wait, i love that color!
Old 12-29-2006, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Maybe I Can Help

It is a blend of blood and sweat of all who worked on it at Five Axis....aka, 3-stage, Candy Apple Red w/ a custom tinted base. Basically a painter's and repair shop's worst nightmare.

No production color here folks

Glad you liked it. It really is a bad@$$ color.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

NICE! Thanks for posting up, can you tell us anything about the xB color at the show?
Old 12-30-2006, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default xB Color

Okay, but I may lose my job for this!

Actually it's a 3 stage gold pearl but acts like candy when shot. For those of you who care or don't know what this means.... basically each unique application whether it's a base coat, pearl or clear, each process makes up a stage. Keep in mind, primer is not considered a stage. So a 3 stage paint, as in this case, consists of:
1. A bright silver base coat. Base coat means first coat over primer.
2. A bright gold transluscent pearl mid-coat. Pearl means it has the shimmer and irridescent affect that a pearl does when you see it in bright light. What I meant by candy was it has a tranparency affect, like candy does, but candy is completely transparent like on the xD where the candy coat looks literally like blood.
3. Clear coat. This is the coat you put on nice and WET and after it hardens, you rub it out and polish it. Why does that sound soooo nastee?!

Anyway, these were colors, Gold and Red, we thought would look cool on the cars as well as an interesting suggestion for their color pallette. Problem is they are not production friendly so you won't see them "exactly" like the show car.

Great meeting you guys in Miami. That was a pretty good time eh?!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Old 01-01-2007, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

thanks! love your stuff! keep it coming!
Old 01-04-2007, 04:27 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: xB Color

Originally Posted by zboytroy
Okay, but I may lose my job for this!

Actually it's a 3 stage gold pearl but acts like candy when shot. For those of you who care or don't know what this means.... basically each unique application whether it's a base coat, pearl or clear, each process makes up a stage. Keep in mind, primer is not considered a stage. So a 3 stage paint, as in this case, consists of:
1. A bright silver base coat. Base coat means first coat over primer.
2. A bright gold transluscent pearl mid-coat. Pearl means it has the shimmer and irridescent affect that a pearl does when you see it in bright light. What I meant by candy was it has a tranparency affect, like candy does, but candy is completely transparent like on the xD where the candy coat looks literally like blood.
3. Clear coat. This is the coat you put on nice and WET and after it hardens, you rub it out and polish it. Why does that sound soooo nastee?!

Anyway, these were colors, Gold and Red, we thought would look cool on the cars as well as an interesting suggestion for their color pallette. Problem is they are not production friendly so you won't see them "exactly" like the show car.

Great meeting you guys in Miami. That was a pretty good time eh?!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Wow....thanks!! I think it's crazy how they put the colors together. It was great meeting everyone too! It was an amazing time! Great people...great time
Old 01-08-2007, 04:02 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Thanks so much for the information, Troy! Something Scion desperately needs is a more exciting color palette.

Can you tell us about the xB, that one from the commercial. It was the red one in the 'other room' with the limo and Rado's car and the roadster xA and the lifted xB with the drum kit in the back, and the xB and tC from the commercials. Can you tell us about THAT red? It is simply the greatest color I have seen on a car ever.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

didn't think they were stock colors, loved them, thanks for the info, I was pretty drunk by that time, lol
Old 01-09-2007, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Can you tell us about the xB, that one from the commercial. It was the red one in the 'other room' with the limo and Rado's car and the roadster xA and the lifted xB with the drum kit in the back, and the xB and tC from the commercials. Can you tell us about THAT red? It is simply the greatest color I have seen on a car ever.
Belive it or not, the red on the xB is also a derivative of the same color on the xD. The main difference between the two was in the base coat.

Okay....I lied a little when I said the xD had a "bright" silver base coat. Actually the xB you are referring to has the super bright silver base, our car, the xD had a tinted silver base coat. Basically, in order to insure the color came out clean, and in order to minimize the chance for screw ups, we tinted the base sivler with a little red, givinig it a pinkish hue. What this results in is less coats required of the candy red in order to achive the finished color.

So, if your beer goggles were not too distorted, you might remember that the xB was a bit brighter in the highlights (the areas in direct light) than the xD. Why? Cuz the base coat on the xB is brighter than the xD and that is what you are seeing in the highlights is the silver paint shimmering through the clearness of the candy.

Make sense? So as you can imagine it takes more coats of clear red candy to achieve the same hue over sivler than it does pink. How this helps us is that each candy coat has to go on flawlessly, without dust, crap from your hair, or whatever else finds it's way into the paint. So we would rather do 4 -5 coats over pink rather than 6-8 over sivler especially when we only had just over a week to make it all happen so you guys could ooooooh and aaaaaaah over it at Miami.

Hope this was helpful.

Now time to toot the old Five Axis horn. Check this......

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/12/26/t...ncept-gallery/

or run a search for Toyota FT-HS on Google.......

This is the latest concpet we did for the Detroit Auto Show. (That is where I am writing from right now) It was designed by CALTY, the same guys who did t2B and FUSE. Five Axis built it. BTW, the new SCION auto show display is pretty sick. It's been getting a lot of rave reviews here in Detroit!.

BTW For those of you who missed them in Miami....the new cars will be shown at Chicago coming up next month.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

right on, that new toyota is hot too bro!