Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

New XD

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 05:03 AM

Default New XD

Hello
I purchased an XD about a month ago. I was wondering if anyone has noticed any problems with theirs. They one thing that stands out for me is the rear brakes. They don't seem to grab as much as the front. In other words if I have to make a sudden stop the front of the car nose dives. And I have to really put my foot into it to stop. I'm going to take it back to the dealer. I was going to wait for the 5000 mile service. But I'm going to do it sooner. Also when I wash the car I've noticed the front brakes put out more dust than any vehicle I've ever had. Other problems I've noticed is the thin paint I've scratched it really easily in a few places. The only other problem I'm having is the accelerator and brake pedal are to close somehow I manage to press both at times.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, your front brakes are 70% of your braking power, so yeah, they are going grab more than the rear, which are drum brakes, which probably don't make as much dust as the front ones.

actually, garage1217 did a whole thread on the xD's front brakes, they are actually very beefy, the rotors are just a tad thinner than the tC's, but the pads have more surface area, and the piston or something has more pressure, so they are actually superior to the tC's front brakes, and yet the xD is lighter.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=220865

anyway, since you've only had the xD for a month, it is new, it has to be broken in, the pads and rotors have coatings that need to come off. maybe it needs alittle bedding in and heat cycling, but whats your mileage, since it is only a month old?

as for pedal position, i haven't noticed it, but their proxity might be condusive to heel-toe techniques, you just gotta watch your foot.

and yeah, scions have notoriously poor paint jobs apparently.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
and yeah, scions have notoriously poor paint jobs apparently.
as well as most toyotas my corolla used to get hit in the bumper so much from my neighbors that there would be fist sized flakes of paint coming off.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i hate to say is since i bought my xd 2 weeks ago but the car is cheap for a reason. toyota is not selling the car to loose money. So to get that low price they cut corners where they can
Old 06-12-2008, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually isn't it the new EPA standards that have something to do with the paint quality? Or does that not affect the cars coming in from Japan? No idea! Though I do have to agree the paint job is pretty crappy. I would suggest looking in to a clear bra for your front bumper as soon as possible!
Old 06-12-2008, 12:24 PM
SL Member

I would suggest looking in to a clear bra for your front bumper as soon as possible!
I also agree on the clear bra, the latex paint that manufacturers need to use on cars (due to EPA ) is absolute CRAP. Best thing was that I got my 3M clear bra @ 15 miles. No chips whatsoever.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where u get the 3M clear bra??
Old 06-12-2008, 11:02 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by moaiD
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ind_Installer/

It was like $695 BTW
Old 06-12-2008, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had mine installed on my car by a guy in my area. You'd probably have to get it from either an online seller with the cut outs for the xD/iST or find someone who can install one locally to you.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:03 PM
SL Member

i've definitely noticed the paint issue, it seems really thin. It breaks my heart! it's not so much on the front...instead i have a few scratches on both sides of the car. I'm very careful, but i think it's from people walking past with stuff, car doors, etc. on the red, they show up white and are really noticeable

But, it's a car, it happens unless you are one of the lucky ones that can keep it garage kept all the time.

lol is there a way i can cover my whole car in a clear bra???
Old 06-13-2008, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sonya, ask for a whole car bra from Jim for your birthday. That'll be enough of a gift until you get a new car. HAHAHA $$$$$$$$$$.

Sorry Jim, didn't mean to break your wallet.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:51 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by xDevious
i've definitely noticed the paint issue, it seems really thin. It breaks my heart! it's not so much on the front...instead i have a few scratches on both sides of the car. I'm very careful, but i think it's from people walking past with stuff, car doors, etc. on the red, they show up white and are really noticeable

But, it's a car, it happens unless you are one of the lucky ones that can keep it garage kept all the time.

lol is there a way i can cover my whole car in a clear bra???
I was watching Motorweek and some Italian sport cars are shipped with a clear bra ALL over the car, I would expect that if I spent over 250,000 for a car.

Another reason that I always buy a light color(silver etc), they barely show any scratches.

tmrepp, I would if I was rich, but last months heating oil bill was $435, I dread next winter.....
Old 06-14-2008, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vfrjim
Originally Posted by moaiD
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ind_Installer/

It was like $695 BTW
aah..this is new to me!...interesting product but phewww....thats ex! try to scout for it locally..... thanks!