Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Scion xD runs but has electrical issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member

Question Scion xD runs but has electrical issues?

Hi Everyone,
I have a 2008 xD and the other day while out driving, the hot cold indicator kept going back and forth but the car seem to be running fine. Checked the water and it was cold which made me think there was a problem with the thermostat.
While working to try and get the thermostat out the wrench slipped and it hit the alternator and now I have non working power locks, the shifter will not move and the steering wheel will not turn. The car cranks and runs great.

Can drive it by hitting the button and getting it to change gears but after you put it back in park, you have to push the button again. Any ideas on what I have done to this car by accidentally dropping this wrench?

Thanks everyone!

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-16-2019 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 08-21-2013, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds Like you shorted it out and popped some fuses. Check the fuse box in the engine compartment.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks. I have checked all the fuses. Do you know if there is something called a fuseable link in these cars?
Old 08-23-2013, 07:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tamsturn
Thanks. I have checked all the fuses. Do you know if there is something called a fuseable link in these cars?
Probably. They'd be easy to find if you run the wires through your fingers you should feel the wiring get thicker for an inch or two. Prob be easier to just use an ohm meter on the sections of wire you suspect may be bad.
The links are normally on a main input to a fuse box rather than on a circuit feeding an accessory.
If everything that you have not working is not on the same circuit then I'd be looking at a ground issue. Bad grounds can have weird symptoms.
If the alternator has an internal short it might cause some of the probs. Can you disconnect the alternator, isolate it from the wiring then see if everything works correctly?
Old 08-27-2013, 06:21 AM
5 Year Member

Has rained the past couple days so not much time to work on this. Did get the thermostat changed which was the goal in the first place before the wrench went wicked on me. I think I can get my hands on an OHM meter and will try this. Thanks so much for helping me and replying.
Tam
Old 09-10-2013, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member

Well after a weird inner ear infection and three days at the hospital, I am back at trying to figure out what is wrong with this XD. In the fuse box under the hood, at the end of the row there is a open space that has no fuse that goes to no circuit. The power side is there. I ran a small wire from the positive of the battery to that thing and when I did everything started working again. Is there a relay or something that feeds that row? I don't have an actual wire diagram. I checked with Helms and they want a large amount for the repair manual so I hope you can help me out. I am sending a picture of what I am referring to. The bank actually is 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12. The open one was 13.

Again, I really appreciate your help.

Tam
Attached Thumbnails Scion xD runs but has electrical issues?-under-hood-fuses.jpg