Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Why is it harder to shift into REVERSE than any other gear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:39 AM

Default Why is it harder to shift into REVERSE than any other gear?

Is this just something that happens with ALL sticks? It just seems like it takes more work to get the car into reverse. Sometimes grinds a bit or just doesn't "seat". I've driven 2 other sticks, but a while ago, and can't remember if they were like that too. Thank you!
Old 10-31-2007, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't had any problems with engaging reverse on my xD. This is what I do: If the vehicle is in neutral, I first put into first gear then place it into reverse. This causes the main shaft in the transmission to stop spinning preventing any reverse grind. As many may know, the xD does not have a syncro on reverse and this is why it grinds if you have it in neutral then immediately press the clutch and put into reverse. Engage another gear first then reverse.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

Taken from: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...291&highlight=

Originally Posted by playindagamewell
Originally Posted by MrZero
Originally Posted by XtraDeviant
i'm not amazed about the tranny breakage... I'm more surprised by the fact that u did 3000 miles in 1.5 months..
I am at 5k miles and have only had it 2 months or so....

and I am having a tranny problem as well... mine is stick though... my reverse keeps locking me out, then when it does go in it, grinds in... I brought it to the dealer the other day and the service guy told me all toyotas do that(that the tranny's aren't synchro'd) I am gonna give my dealer 1 more chance to fix this in about a week, if they still refuse I am contacting scion straight and I am going to work on that dealer losing their scion license...
i have the same issue when i try to go to reverse too quick

make sure you have the clutch PUSHED IN all the way when going to reverse

like it or not... the dealers explanation is actually a correct one.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:40 PM

"reverse keeps locking me out, then when it does go in it, grinds in"

My husband's Yaris does this too, I'll have him try shifting into 1st and see if that helps.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's normal. every stick i've ever driven does this. its a pita sometimes on older cars, because they don't want to unstick, but rowing into 1st then R usually fixes it. It's to keep you from throwing your car in R while going forward. Always make sure to be at a complete stop, tho. as already posted, no R syncros (i dont know of any stick that does, really).
Old 11-01-2007, 03:56 AM

All manufactueres neglect to put syncrhos in for reverse because they are not needed, you dont use reverse enought to worry about an occasional grind. Shifting to first and then reverse usually fixes the problem. Never shift into reverse after you are moving.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Reverse is a straight-cut, unsynchronized gear.

As such, sometimes the teeth a bit off, and the gears won't slide together.

It happens with any manual car unless it is one of the extremely rare cars with a synchro on reverse. I honestly can't think of a car that does, but I have heard of a few. Ultra luxury.

Anyway, what needs to happen is that you need to turn the gear a bit so the teeth line up.

Either use a synchro in another gear (I use 2nd), or just go to neutral, let the clutch out, then clutch in and go to reverse (double clutch).

If you're grinding with normal pressure then you're either moving (no, rolling slightly while going into reverse is not cool), or don't ahve the clutch all the way in.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:16 AM
SL Member

Hey thanks people, I just got mine today!!! and it did this!! thanks for the info...
Old 11-03-2007, 09:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

put it into first, let the clutch catch, but not enough to kill it, then put it into reverse like butter. This is what i do in the mornings.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:22 PM
SL Member

Yeah. I heard the same thing about first putting it into 1st gear or 5th (not sure which gear) to release tension on the shifting rails and synchros.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To line up synchros, the way I learned that has been the easiest, and has worked on any car is this:

For 1st Gear - Depress the clutch, go from Neutral into 2nd gear, THEN move up to first.

For Reverse - (VEHICLE MUST NOT BE MOVING) Depress the clutch, put the tranny into 3rd gear, move down to 4th, THEN into Reverse, if it's a 6-speed tranny go 5th to 6th first.

I've never gone wrong using these techniques, and highly recommend always using another gear before shifting into 1st and Reverse, as it will make your tranny last much longer.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe not, but grinding the ____ out of it every other day would certainly do the trick....
Old 11-10-2007, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't reallly know but my xA did the same thing as new so now i am used to it...