Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Winter Driving Tires - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Winter Driving Tires - Need advice

As far as my winter driving goes, I travel over Stevens Pass almost every weekend of the year. I'm looking to buy some studded snow/ice tires this fall. I would like to get a different size than my stock wheels, simply based on price factors. Anyone know a good alternative wheel/tire size that would not jeaopardize that safety and handle of my xd by using a smaller wheel/tire?
Old 09-12-2007, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd recommend against studded tires. The University of Alaska at Fairbanks did an extensive study on winter tire effectiveness on ice and in snow, and found that studded tires often came up short. According to the results of their study, your best choice would be the Bridgestone Blizzak. I use them myself, and they are great!

Sorry this isn't exactly an answer to your question, but hopefully you consider it helpful just the same.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:03 PM

I'm looking at Green Diamon, Hakkas, and Blizzak. The actual tire isn't so much my concern at this point. It's getting a smaller size wheel/tire without impeding handling and safety. I don't race around or drive insane (I work in auto insurance, I actual drive like a grandma), I just want cheaper winter driving! But thanks for the input. An Alaskan would definately have great input on which tire to get.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Out of curiosity, what's your motivation for installing a smaller wheel and / or tire?
Old 09-13-2007, 01:44 AM

if you install a smaller wheel you will either loose the functionality of your tire pressure monitoring system, have to buy new tire pressure monitors for the new wheels and have them programmed or have the tire pressure monitors in your old wheels swapped out. If you dont mind the tire pressure warning light staying on any set of 15 inch steel wheels with a 5x100 lug pattern would be fine