Default xD with TRD options ???

Hi
I am planning to purchase xD with some TRD options:
- TRD springs
- TRD shocks
- TRD rear sway bar
- TRD exhaust
- TRD 18" gunmetal wheels

It comes out to about $19,500+tax. About the same as if I modified it myself but I get warranty on it. I modified my previous cars, but I am now married with children and don't have any time so I want a car with good MPG and fun to drive with good suspension all from the dealer. It's either xD with TRD options or Honda Fit and I will have to modify it myself.

QUESTION:
Does Scion charge you for the labor of installing TRD parts if you pre-order the car with those parts?

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'm sure when you ordered those parts, the prices they gave you included the labor. Trust me, no one works for free, especially a dealership!...
Old 08-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try and have the dealer order the vehicle with all these items "installed at the port". The port @ Toyota charges less to install than anywhere else... it's almost hilarious how cheap their labor is. Not all items are available for a port install though.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:36 PM

Default Accessories

I recently puchased a RS 1.0 in So Cal with these same options here is the breakdown. I was not charged for labor for items installed at the port.

- TRD springs (not sure, included with RS 1.0)
- TRD shocks (Dealer will have to order and install which you will be charged labor. All day job)
- TRD rear sway bar (Get installed at Port, no labor cost)
- TRD exhaust (Get installed at Port, no labor cost)
- TRD 18" gunmetal wheels (Get installed at Port, no labor cost)
Old 08-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Accessories

Originally Posted by sheets
I recently puchased a RS 1.0 in So Cal with these same options here is the breakdown. I was not charged for labor for items installed at the port.

- TRD springs (not sure, included with RS 1.0)
- TRD shocks (Dealer will have to order and install which you will be charged labor. All day job)
- TRD rear sway bar (Get installed at Port, no labor cost)
- TRD exhaust (Get installed at Port, no labor cost)
- TRD 18" gunmetal wheels (Get installed at Port, no labor cost)
You actually do get the labor charged. It's charged to the dealership, so you only see 1 price for the part and installation. You won't see a break down. For example, they only charge $20 for the exhaust install... lol
Old 08-24-2008, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had the trdexhaust and some rims bought with mine through the dealer and i instaled them both myself. just with those two things and a clear coat protective spray stuff (helps with bug guts and stuff) mine was like 19,200. so my question is, are u gettin the car for free or somethin?
Old 08-24-2008, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Wow. My RS1 was only $17794.00 and that was with TRD rear sway, TRD quick shifter, and all the stuff that comes with the RS1.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the information guys.

I don't get one thing. Why would the labor for TRD springs be included in the price of parts, but when it comes to TRD shocks, they would charge for it. When you install the springs, don't you have to take the shocks out too, so you might as well put the new ones in..................I don't get it.

I am just trying to figure out if the "Build the Scion" calculation on scion site is correct. If it is much more than what the site gives me, then I would be leaning more towards getting the Honda Fit and buying all the aftermarket parts because there are plenty of them.

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Its just another way for the dealership to slam it in there with no lube and break it off. Installing spring is not hard at all. just buy the parts and swap it out yourself.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:42 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default Re: xD with TRD options ???

ANYONE considering a TRD exhaust should DO IT THEMSELVES!!! Get it from Spark Toyota (significant discount) and loosen the two bolts yourself. You dont even need to raise the car (if at stock height). There is ONE additional hangar in the kit which takes a tiny bit of effort to pop in and THATS IT. TWO BOLTS and a HANGAR.

Might not be relevant to this post since there are several mods being done at once, but if you are considering a TRD exhaust upgrade and you've been sitting the fence - my strong advice is JUST DO IT. It takes less than 15 minutes and the result is a nice mellow tone and look that does not offend but gives the xD an appropriate sound.

Originally Posted by almirx101
Hi
- TRD springs
- TRD shocks
- TRD rear sway bar
- TRD exhaust

It comes out to about $19,500+tax. About the same as if I modified it myself but I get warranty on it. I modified my previous cars, but I am now married with children and don't have any time so I want a car with good MPG and fun to drive with good suspension all from the dealer. It's either xD with TRD options or Honda Fit and I will have to modify it myself.

QUESTION:
Does Scion charge you for the labor of installing TRD parts if you pre-order the car with those parts?

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:45 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default Re: xD with TRD options ???

Married with kids and you are getting the TRD wheels? Something doesn't add up.

18" wheels aren't for adults. Do some research and you'll find 1. that the TRDs are EXPENSIVE and 2. big wheels are an odd aesthetic trend which saps performance and comfort.

You'd be much better off getting the 16" scion alloys.

Originally Posted by almirx101
Hi
- TRD springs
- TRD shocks
- TRD rear sway bar
- TRD exhaust

QUESTION:

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think that the price the website adds is for installed parts.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My dealership charges only for strut/spring install...seen here:

http://peruzziscion.com/xd-accessories.htm
Old 08-25-2008, 07:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wanted the shocks and exhaust when I ordered my xA and the dealer had to put them on so I didn't get them. Maybe it's different now. You should never buy anything from a dealer if you don't have to though, as you know they overcharge horribly just because so called "factory trained professionals" do the work. I highly doubt that.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:49 AM

I have 2 children, needed 4 doors, and desired a small car, good MPG and fun car to drive. After all the research and test driving it came down to the xD. Age is not a factor in accessorizing your vehicle whether it is through Scion or aftermarket. It's what you are comfortable with. I went the TRD route and am very satisfied regardless of price.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:13 AM
SL Member

I'm a bit confused why there is confusion on the install price of the TRD options or any of the other "dealer installed" options Scion offers - The dollar value listed on the Scion website under "build your own Scion"is the TOTAL price INSTALLED by the dealer - that's why the dang prices on there are so high. The dealer should not be charging anything on top of that price for installing any of those options at the time of purchase, or they're ripping you off.

Some of my TRD options were not in stock at the time I picked up my car, namely the sway bar and the short shifter, I had to make an appointment to bring it back to the dealer a week or so later for installation of those parts, and I was not charged anything extra for the shop visit or labor. I was told up front by my salesman that the prices on the website were the installed price.

It IS much cheaper to buy the parts and install them yourself, but I guess there would be the benefit of the options installed by the dealer being covered under your factory warranty, that would be something to consider as well.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some items are Pure Price and include installation already. Mainly the accessories are priced this way. Most of the TRD accessories do not include preset labor, so the dealer charges it on top of the displayed price.

For example, the spoiler shows as $385., but the part number retail price is $285.00 There's $100 in labor in there as part of the pure pricing by Scion.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:32 PM
SL Member

OK, well, I paid nothing extra for installation of my TRD parts, other than the listed price, guess I got a generous Dealer, what can I say, haha...
Old 08-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cylon_xD
OK, well, I paid nothing extra for installation of my TRD parts, other than the listed price, guess I got a generous Dealer, what can I say, haha...
That's good! LOL! Some dealers must assume all items include installation.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Phew, lucky you! The dealers in my area charge out the rear for TRD parts installed...