Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

xD vs. Honda Fit... Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member

Default xD vs. Honda Fit... Thoughts?

I test drove the 2009 Honda Fit and was very impressed, at least until I heard my neighbor (who works for the dealership I normally buy through) tell me that they weren't negotiating on them AND you had to take the dealer add ons at full price.

I decided to test drive the xB and xD and was impressed with both. The xD doesn't have the cool interior of the 2009 Fit, but I like the exterior, the resale for Scions seems to be pretty darn decent, and I fell in love with the Hot Lava interior.

Anyone do a comparison before buying? I realize the 2009 Fit is brand new, but wondered if anyone could tell me why an xD is a better purchase (without the Hondas suck comments).
Old 09-25-2008, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my buddy has a first gen xb and then one day bought his wife a fit. i drove it and liked it. liked the aftermarket support and gas mileage. i drove it and was like yeah its ok but the seating was akward for me. (i got a jacked up hip so i'm picky) so then i tested the xd. i looked for the first gen xb cause i like driving my friends and the only one i found was riced out. i needed a car that gets good mileage asap so it was between the riced out xb, the fit that i saw an elderly woman buy the day before, and then i found my xd. i drove it and really liked how it drove. i knew the dealer so we went up to deals gap and drove the dragon. haha how many salesmen do that! after that 3 hour adventure i signed the papers and my d was mine. i think some fits look ok but stock vs stock i like the xd better. thats my two cents
Old 09-25-2008, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my wife and i own the 08 versions of both, so i cant speak for the 09 model, but her seat is to damn low for a big guy like me, and honestly, it feels...cheap. the xd isnt benz level or anything, but to me someone spent alot more time on the xd's details and features. if u want to spend bare min on gas and thats it, go fit. if u want a sporty stylish ride that ppl will do a double take at and still gets really good gas mileage, go xd.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It really comes down to a few different factors when deciding between the two...

1. Price
The xD will have a set price wherever you go (sans dealer added accessories, of course). It just takes some time to find the right dealer that has the right configuration you're looking for (AT or MT, VSC or not, Color).
The Fit usually has room for haggling, but it will remain at/near MSRP for a while due to the fuel prices and the new model 'wow' period. If you've purchased multiple vehicles from the dealer, they may be able to at least extend you some type of discount. We have tons of repeat buyers and the most they can get off a car in high demand (ie Prius) is a few hundred. At worst case scenario, they should be able to sell you a Fit @ MSRP w/o any addons... hopefully.

2. Use for the car
Is this a daily car for all types of use? Is it just a grocery getter/commuter? Is it for modifying?
We all have different reasons for our vehicle purchases. Find the pros and cons of each vehicle for your specific need. That will usually sort out which vehicle is right for you.

3. Honda sucks... hahaha j/k! They do quite well in the compact/sub compact markets. Their US mainstream models have gone downhill, imo. Their current and previous gen Accord Sedans... really weren't my cup of tea. Hondas will usually get more aftermarket support since they reuse so many components from their Japanese market (JDM YO! hahaha) counterpart.

--

My friend and I... we met when we drove Solaras. He got rid of his supercharged 270whp Solara and moved onto the 4Runner V8 4x4 Sport. I eventually got a 4Runner V6 RWD Sport (oddly enough). After that, I purchased the xD. He recently came by and told me he bought a 09 Fit. So even though our tastes were quite similar, our needs for the subcompact were different (it's cheaper for him to purchase the Fit for a commuter than drive the 4Runner, the xD is familiar territory for modding for me since I own my own little fleet of Toyotas).

Whoever you ask, they will give you their opinion on which to get (and it's usually VERY biased on forums). In the end, you have to make sure you've weighed your own needs before pulling the trigger.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the new Fit looks like a minivan, and that is unfortunate.

I test drove both the xD and the Fit, and I liked the style, fit, and finish of the xD. The Fit felt like driving an underpowered go-cart.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

xD is a much better looking car.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:15 PM

I test drove the fit and I just didn't care for it. I mean neither car is going to drive like a sports car (let's be honest), but I thought the xD was a lot more responsive and fun to drive. The flexibility of the Fit's interior was cool, but wasn't of much use to me. I liked the color choices of the Fit better though. The xD colors are all pretty dull, IMO. (That's why I went with the hot lava )

The #1 reason I went with the xD, though... I never see them. I can go a week without seeing another xD on the road in my area. I love that. Add all the RS add-ons and the orange color, and you've got a real eye turner. The xD is more unique IMO.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:22 PM
SL Member

oboogie & Verran,

Did you test drive the 2008 or 2009 Honda Fit???
Old 09-25-2008, 10:35 PM
SL Member

go for the xD, it has more standard features, and the growth of aftermarket support is strong with da D.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

scion: vsc $650 aftermarket gps $200
honda: vsc + navi $2000

scion: who wants crappy wheels
honda: cinder blocks

scion: easier parking in the city
honda: still pretty easy

scion: no haggling!

these sealed the deal for me
Old 09-26-2008, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by oboogie
I think the new Fit looks like a minivan, and that is unfortunate.
My thoughts exactly! I didn't really test drive the fit although a close friend bought one ('0 and I think the interior is really functional, roomy, and very comfortable. But when we were seriously looking for a "econo box" I sat inside the 09 fit and thought the dash looked cheap. Plus I just couldn't get pass the shrunken minivan look. Plus as you know the law of supply and demand is on full force on the fit, some local dealers are asking for MSRP +2K , but I know most of them will deal but I have been offered MSRP by some.

So it really came down to looks, needs (we don't really need the room for this car since we still have the 4-runner), and price (standard features). = ordered our xD two weeks ago but still waiting cause we wanted a specific color (not budging) and VSC. But my dealer did say that my car arrived at the docks yesterday. YAY!
Good luck happy hunting!
Old 09-26-2008, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am going to be non-biased because I have neither.

The fit has a better aftermarket because like all hondas, every one wants to mod them and there are tons of honda performance-ish companies. I have heard a lot of problems with the interiors both looking and becoming cheap (falling apart, creaking, squeaking) in the fit. Hondas seem to be reliable although that has seemed to tumble some in the last few years but they are everywhere.

xD-unique styling (whether you like it or not is up to you), the interiors get a much better review in magazine tests than the fit and I have heard they are much more comfortable-especially on longer trips. Toyota reliability and a pretty peppy motor and quite a lot of room. TRD stuff,even though it's overpriced, if the dealer puts it on it's warrantied.

I have seen some pretty cool looking fits but in a general use it and tune to your taste world, I think the xD is a better and cooler car with better features and better fit (ironic huh?)
Old 09-26-2008, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am very black and white on this one. If a dealer is so disrespectful as to put an added markup....I don't care what car it is I will not buy....period.

no....seriousley....I don't care what the reason....it's a no. Need I really mention the fact that NO dealer is not starving for a deal right now....no matter what they tell you....car sales are in the tank.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:18 PM

notanoldfogyjustold: I drove the 2008 Fit. I have not driven the 2009.

Also, on the note of aftermarket parts, I think the Honda wins that one. There are SO many more Fits out there than xDs (as I mentioned, part of my reasoning). There's a lot bigger market for Fit parts, I would think. Thankfully, I got the only parts I wanted factory installed (TRD Rear Sway, Shocks/Struts, and Springs with the RS1 package). As I said before, this car is not a sports car, but with some suspension mods it can be a blast to drive without affecting its daily-driver qualities.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:18 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Verran
I drove the 2008 Fit. I have not driven the 2009.
Since the Fit is totally redesigned for 2009, I'd say that's probably not a valid comparison.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by notanoldfogyjustold
Since the Fit is totally redesigned for 2009, I'd say that's probably not a valid comparison.
Yep, it seems that the 2009 Fit is re-designed, from the inside out. Even the engine is improved... it's an extra 10 hp faster? But still, the 2009 xD has even more horsepower at 128hp.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go for the Honda Fit
Old 09-28-2008, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bertoxis
Originally Posted by notanoldfogyjustold
Yep, it seems that the 2009 Fit is re-designed, from the inside out. Even the engine is improved... it's an extra 10 hp faster? But still, the 2009 xD has even more horsepower at 128hp.
Too bad it looks like a miniature minivan.