Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Best replacement struts for lowered XD rs2

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 01:02 PM

Question Best replacement struts for lowered XD rs2

I have a RS2 that is not lowered much. I live in Kansas so wanted clearance for winters and pot holes. I used the TRD lowering springs.

I am now ready to replace the struts and do not want the ride height to go up. Any suggestions on the best struts out there for a lowered XD. I read info on the tokico and kyb that are suggested, but I don't want the ride height raised and I'm looking for comfort for every day.

After lowering, stock struts gave up the ghost quick. (Bounce!!)

KCJACK
Old 03-06-2012, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i want to replace mine too im on tein s techs and the ride gets harsh. a friend of mine has an xD hes got eibach sportlines and the kyb struts and says there great and beefier than the oem ones. i havent heard the tokico and kyb effecting ride height tho
Old 03-10-2012, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the Tokico's. They do have more bounce than the OEM's. But not as much as coilovers or TRD struts. Yes, I have been through some suspension. Spent some money and regretted it. My car is a daily driver and I didnt take that into consideration when I purchased.

I'm running Tanabe's. So they sit lower than the TRD springs. And my problem is that I bottom out the strut when carving up a canyon road...especially the OEMs. The TRDs didnt bottom at all, but were really stiff on the highway. Same for the coils. Now the Tokico's...they do bottom a bit, but only when hitting a bump while in the turn. Its not all the bad...and the ride is a little smoother on the highway.

I dont think you will have to worry about the problem I have...your springs are an 1" higher than mine. And to be honest, if you dont want the bounce, you dont want the Tokico's. You need to look for a standard strut, not a performance strut. Check your local auto parts store, I'm sure they carry OEM replacements. And I dont believe you will see much difference in height. Maybe 1/4" in the beginning, but then they will settle at the same height after driving the car for a bit.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the info cuball. To late, I ordered the Tokicos and they will be here next week. My car is an everyday driver and my wife drives it most of the time. If there is too much bounce, I will hear about it right away, however now that the stock struts have died, maybe it will feel better to her than the crash over bumps and bounce afterwards.

KCJACK

PS Did you add the TRD swaybar? My impression is it provides lift oversteer and when carving up those canyon roads just a quick lift in the corner will get you out of push into a more neutral balance.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do have the TRD swaybar. But it was installed when I bought it. So I cant really compare to stock ride. All I know is the car handles like a go-kart and is a fun to drive when you get suspension setup.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:09 AM
SL Member

I am looking to replace my OEM struts and planning to get kyb.

Are these the right part numbers?
x2 kyb 348001 rear shocks
x1 kyb 339135 front left
x1 kyb 339134 front right

And should I replace the end links too?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would...its a cheap upgrade. This is where I found them

www.theautopartsshop.com
Old 07-03-2012, 03:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

cheap upgrade, yup... . labor not so much. I got quoted at two different shops here in San Antonio for 600 bucks...ouch.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:36 AM

Install them yourself two.0XD. Rears are a snap and removing some cowling parts on fronts are necessary. Go to somewhere like o'rileys and rent a spring compressor for the fronts and the replacement is your time.