Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

comparing springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:22 AM
SL Member

Default comparing springs

I see many of you are going with the Tanabe springs. I was just going to have the dealer install the TRD springs as soon as my 09 hits the lot. I am going to keep 16's on the car with oem tires ( have not picked wheels yet). Is there really that big of a difference in height between the two sets or performance? For some reason I just trust the scion guys to put in the trd's instead of trying to find someone to put in the Tanabe springs and hope they know what they are doing (I dont and wont mess with it).
Old 07-03-2008, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what I have seen at local shows, my Tanabe NF210s are slightly lower than the TRDs. There are a few pictures on the forum with people on TRDs and people with Tanabes (NF210 and DF210) so you might be able to see the difference between the two (three) different springs.

There are Sprint springs now too, but I don't think those have hit the market yet.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can find sprints on eBay
Old 07-03-2008, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

eibach has there sportline springs also but havent seen anyone on scionlife with them. I might get to be the first yea!!!
Old 07-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default Re: comparing springs

Nothing wrong with the TRD springs, but they are the mildest of the drops. There is something to be said for having the dealer do the deed (warrantee issues), but the srping job isn't rocket science and can be handled by a moderately capable home mechanic.

Tanabe NF210 are silimar to TRD but have a slightly deeper drop.

Tanabe DF210 are stiffer and lower than the other two.

I know there are several other spring sets out there - i've just never been interested in trying something without a large installed base to call upon for advice.

Get the rear bar while you are at it! Best bang for buck with xD.

Originally Posted by kcxd
I see many of you are going with the Tanabe springs. I was just going to have the dealer install the TRD springs as soon as my 09 hits the lot. I am going to keep 16's on the car with oem tires ( have not picked wheels yet). Is there really that big of a difference in height between the two sets or performance? For some reason I just trust the scion guys to put in the trd's instead of trying to find someone to put in the Tanabe springs and hope they know what they are doing (I dont and wont mess with it).
Old 07-04-2008, 10:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive heard that the rear sway doesnt do much with the solid rear axle deal design?

i like my nf210s, but i think i will eventually go to the DFs for a little more drop and stiffness as well. any reputable shop can put springs in for you, its quite an easy thing to do.

if you really dont like the drop of the TRDs and dont want to install them, see if you can find a buddy who knows how to do it for a case of beer or whatever. its quite a simple install, and one of the funner ones you can do (i think). id worry more about getting the springs you want rather then how they are going to get on the car. nothing worse then regreting a $600 bill for something you didnt like.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:56 PM

df's make a nice drop for the xD it sits pretty for me at least. aftermarket or stocks wheels and tires it just makes the car so much nicer.