Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Front suspension mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Front suspension mount

Anyone know what type of mount the xD uses on top? The design actually is not bolted to the body, it floats. If you look at it you will see a gap between the body and the cap.

I would like to know what this type of mount is called. I'm trying to trouble shoot a rattle I'm getting with my coilovers, and it would help knowing what type of mount this is so I can describe it better to the suspension experts that are out there.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you talking about the Lock Nut? I'm not really sure which part you're trying to get at; but let's get to the rattle. When does it occur? How often? Is it a small rattle, or a hard knock? Recheck your torque all around to make sure everything's fastened; make sure the coil spring is seated properly. All the basics, I'm sure you've at least thought about these possibilities though. Let us know more details
Old 11-07-2009, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Wish I could help you out...But man that gap your talking about on top of the suspension freaked us out when we swapped springs...We originally thought we installed them wrong and it stumped us for a little while...
Old 11-08-2009, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have everything torqued properly and the spring is seated properly. It a low rattle. Its the upper cap moving around in the opening of the body. Since this isnt mounted to the body (The cap bottoms out on the shaft of the strut) it moves around freely. This wasnt a problem with the Tanabe's. But there was much more travel in the strut. When I lift my car, I dont have nearly the same wheel clearance. I think it was shortened at least 3". So this might be the culprit. I dont know many running the Ksports setup, so its difficult to compare.

I only notice it when I'm below 20 mph. It seems that I get more movement under slow speeds. The only other thing I was thinking of trying would be the upper sway bar. I think if I firm up the body roll it might keep things in check on top.

If that doesnt work, I have to come up with a better mount on top. If anyone out there has any suggestions, please let me know.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ohhhh now I know what you're talking about. Man :\ wish I could help but I don't really have any suggestions; as you said, I too have no experience with the Ksports. >< I'm in to learn though, bump for any ideas!
Old 11-09-2009, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Can we get some pics of the top mount?
Old 11-09-2009, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man...you dont realize how dirty your car is until you take some closeup pictures. I have leveled out the cap by adjusting the lower sway bar. If you notice it pitched inward a little in the pic. But it still didnt help.

Last edited by cuball; 11-09-2009 at 10:56 PM.