Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Help installing TRD lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member

Default Help installing TRD lowering springs?

Alright so Im new to the whole car scene and new to doing mod's on my own. I wanna put these springs on, I know I need to rent a spring compressor but what else do I need to do exactly to get these guys on? Jack the car up, compress the stock springs, take those off, then pop the new ones in? Just wanna make sure I'm doing this stuff right before I go poking arround.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whoa, hold on a sec. That's awesome that you are getting into modding, thats what this forum is based on, more or less. But start with the easy stuff first, Cold Air Intake, a sway bar, maybe even some headers. But if you don't have much mechanical experience, DO NOT attempt to change the springs on a car. This is a dangerous procedure that can go horribly horribly wrong if you dont know exactly what you're doing... it should be done by a professional. Ive been modding my cars for 10 years now and even I'm not brave enough for this one yet. If you make one wrong move and the spring decompresses suddenly, you could lose a hand, an arm, or worse. Not trying to rain on your parade, but at the very least get someone with some serious wrench time under their belt to help you with this particular procedure
Old 08-31-2011, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^thats ***** lol changing sprints is time consuming at most but not difficult even for a newb
Old 08-31-2011, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders85
Whoa, hold on a sec. That's awesome that you are getting into modding, thats what this forum is based on, more or less. But start with the easy stuff first, Cold Air Intake, a sway bar, maybe even some headers. But if you don't have much mechanical experience, DO NOT attempt to change the springs on a car. This is a dangerous procedure that can go horribly horribly wrong if you dont know exactly what you're doing... it should be done by a professional. Ive been modding my cars for 10 years now and even I'm not brave enough for this one yet. If you make one wrong move and the spring decompresses suddenly, you could lose a hand, an arm, or worse. Not trying to rain on your parade, but at the very least get someone with some serious wrench time under their belt to help you with this particular procedure
all i can say is lol....lowering my xD was one of my first mods. you dont need "10 years srs bsns experience." you need a spring compressor for the front springs of you arent comfy with the quick and "dangerous" method. the rears are super easy.

for a DIY, i used this one and it was pretty good. work with a group as opposed to by yourself and itll go much smoother.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ThisorThatxD
all i can say is lol....lowering my xD was one of my first mods. you dont need "10 years srs bsns experience." you need a spring compressor for the front springs of you arent comfy with the quick and "dangerous" method. the rears are super easy.

for a DIY, i used this one and it was pretty good. work with a group as opposed to by yourself and itll go much smoother.
haha alrighty thanks for the help, I didn't think it was that dangerous or that hard...plus it's gonna cost arround $400 to get it done somewhere soo I'm gonna try and do it myself. I have friends who have much more experience than I do and I'm definetly not going to be by myself while doing this.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by KBxD
haha alrighty thanks for the help, I didn't think it was that dangerous or that hard...plus it's gonna cost arround $400 to get it done somewhere soo I'm gonna try and do it myself. I have friends who have much more experience than I do and I'm definetly not going to be by myself while doing this.
It CAN be dangerous. If you have NEVER worked on a car before it's generally not the best thing to do. But, if you have experienced people walking you along (and the proper tools) you should be fine.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by zombie_freak
It CAN be dangerous. If you have NEVER worked on a car before it's generally not the best thing to do. But, if you have experienced people walking you along (and the proper tools) you should be fine.
Yeah I'm definetly going to have people with experience arround me and Im planning on going to AutoZone and renting a spring compressor.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KBxD
Yeah I'm definetly going to have people with experience arround me and Im planning on going to AutoZone and renting a spring compressor.
itll be a fun experience for you. the front is a pain. mostly just time consuming more than anything.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my best experience was when i bought my car... just sayn lol
Old 09-03-2011, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the main thing i can tell you, seeing as i just did this last week, is that MAKE SURE you watch how everything is put together as you take it apart, and make sure you put it back the same way. Its not overly difficult to do, just make sure your careful, and take your time. the first front spring is a pain, but after that it is pretty easy. enjoy the work though, it was fun to do with a couple of good buddies. I do recommend that you wait to start drinking till AFTER you do the mod. dont be like me and my friends :p
Old 09-03-2011, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just do one side at a time so you will always have reference in case you get stuck.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:12 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by midnight_king
the main thing i can tell you, seeing as i just did this last week, is that MAKE SURE you watch how everything is put together as you take it apart, and make sure you put it back the same way. Its not overly difficult to do, just make sure your careful, and take your time. the first front spring is a pain, but after that it is pretty easy. enjoy the work though, it was fun to do with a couple of good buddies. I do recommend that you wait to start drinking till AFTER you do the mod. dont be like me and my friends :p
Haha alrighty thanks for the advice, when I do eventually get arround to putting them on Im planning on just devoting a whole Saturday or Sunday to the job so I wont have to rush or anything.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:20 PM

If this is your first time under the car, heed all the good advice given.
Take plenty of time, think twice before your actions for each part.

GL & be safe!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member

Just wanted to let you all know that I finially got the time to do this yesterday and sucessfully got my springs on without losing a finger/limb love the springs they make a world of difference in the way my xD handles. Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

grats! glad all went well for the install.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member

Do any of you guys have the TRD struts and shocks for your xD? I'm really considering asking for some help to get them for Christmas from the parentals but was curious if they made a noticable difference or if anybody has any other brand suggestions for after market struts and shocks?