Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Replacing Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:02 AM
dV8
5 Year Member

Default Replacing Rear Shocks

I'm doing the TRD spring/strut/shock install and ran into a problem with the rear shocks. The bottom part of the shocks comes out just fine. But I'm having a problem removing the top 2 nuts that hold the shock in place inside the hatch part of the car. I can get the top nut loose but the bottom one refuses to budge. Instead, the top strut part of the shock just spins in circles while I try to loosen the nut. Has anyone else had this problem? Or can anyone give me any help on what I need to do to get the second nut off? I'm at a loss right now
Old 01-24-2009, 09:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

removal is just like the front strut. use an allen wrench to key into the threaded section, and take a box end wrench to loosen the bolts. i thought TRD included instructions though? oh well! hopefully that helps. the most important part is to prevent the threaded section from moving. so twist your allen the opposite direction (like youre tightening it) as your wrench (becuase youre loosening the nut) let me know if you have anymore problems. if im completely wrong ill go look at mine tmw and let you know ( its 2 am so i dont wanna go out to my car haha)
Old 01-26-2009, 01:53 AM
dV8
5 Year Member

Well, ended up getting it done. The stuff does come with instructions but neither of them tell you how to remove the top part of the shock, only the bottom. Ended up having to use a pair of vice grips to keep the top of the shock still since there is no allen key in the back shocks. It was driving me crazy at first. haha. Glad to have it done now though
Old 01-26-2009, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh wow a vice? well guess i know what to look forward to. thanks for te info! congrats on the instal though! good to know it all worked out