Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Scion xD - Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 02:06 PM

Default Scion xD - Brake Issue

I have a Scion xD I purchased back in Dec. 2014. The car has a little under 28k miles and I've had to change my brakes twice already. It seems every 6k miles the breaks begin to make noise and by 10k miles later they are completely gone, I mean like metal on metal gone. I've taken it to Toyota like 4 times already, since it is still under warranty. The first time they changed them at no cost, after my mom went in there fighting and screaming because they refused to do it. The last time I had to pay out of pocket. It's bee about 2k miles since the last time I changed them and I can already hear the breaks. Toyota continues to tell me is wear-and-tear and it's my driving. This is NOT my first car, I had a Mini prior to this and I didn't change those breaks for the first time until about 80k miles. Can someone PLEASE help me!! My car is almost done with the Warranty and I want to get this fixed before.

PS: I don't know if it helps, but my back breaks have no issues, and they're wearing at the right rate, I haven't had any issues with those.

THANK YOU!!!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-26-2017 at 08:28 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old 12-25-2015, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same year and model that you have. In fact, I also got mine in Dec. '14. I only have just under 8k on mine and as far as I know the brakes are just fine. If my brakes go out before they have 40k on them as you're stating then I would think something is seriously wrong. I've been doing my own brake work for 35 years and have never seen a set of front pads wear out before 40k. The only way I can even imagine how brakes could fail sooner is if the driver is using both feet and riding the brakes or is doing a TON of city driving as in a taxi or pizza delivery. I'm not saying that this is what you're doing. I'm just saying those are the only ways I know that pads could fail that soon. In older cars the pistons didn't have rubber boots so after 80-100k they might get rusty and pitted and hang in the cylinders but even that was rare and is virtually unheard of these days.

If you're not subjecting your xD to some extreme driving and the pads are wearing that quickly, its a real mystery. I'm no expert. If I were having that problem I would find someone who is and pick their brain.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:04 PM

I've had consistent issues with my brakes as well. I own a 2012 Scion xD and the first time I changed my pads was at 30k.

Then I heard some grinding noise and had to machine my rotors. Shortly afterwards I continued hearing the grinding noise and brought it in and they said they couldn't find any issues.

I continued to hear the grinding noise, and then brought my car in just over 2 years later (roughly 65k) my pads were down to 30%.

3 months after that they are less than 5%. New pads, new rotors and machining my drums.

All in all I'm on my 3rd set of pads and new rotors and I'm at 77k.

Toyota won't do anything to help. They claim it is wear and tear and won't cover it and say there's nothing wrong with the pads, rotors or drums.

This is stupid!
Old 11-10-2016, 02:01 PM

I know this is old, but I have to ask. What is your gas mileage? is it poor? does the car coast to a stop easily or does it feel as if it grabs right away? burning through brake pads usually mean the brake calipers are locked up. I would check that. drive the car for 5-10 minutes and then lift it and try to spin the front wheels. if they don't spin easily, your have your problem.