Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Tanabe or Tein?which are better springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 02:53 AM

Default Tanabe or Tein?which are better springs?

i am trying to make the decision between these two.

or any other good brands you know

thanks
Old 11-07-2008, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

personally I'm fond of Tanabe's over Tein, however, it depends what you want out of your drop. do you want it slammed? cause tanabes wont slam your ride..teins are adjustable and will allow you to get lower than even DF's go. I have DF's installed and I think theyre amazing. I would just go with DF's and a new set of shocks/struts, if youre looking for a lower drop. as of now, theres only TRD shocks, which isnt a bad option.. That set up will only run you about 670 at most (trdsparks sells the shocks for cheaper) and tanabes arent expensive at all.

hope this helped!
Old 11-07-2008, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

btw, PM me if youre interested in getting the Tanabes for discount as well
Old 12-16-2008, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the tanabe df springs feel really nice, although im not sure how they compare to the s.techs.

NF's probably would clear any rubbing problems that DFs would cause. But yea, my friend's car doesn't have any problems with the DFs either. *shrug*
Old 12-17-2008, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tanabe's FTMFW!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

*edit*
Old 12-17-2008, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i have the tanabe df210s, and they are pretty decent for the buck and the ride quality is nice on my tc
Old 12-17-2008, 07:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uhh...theres no rubbing at all with DF's...theres still fender gap *and thats panel gap...its WAYY off from the fender lining...* theres definitely no need to ever worry about rubbing with just springs...
Old 12-17-2008, 07:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nevermind, re'read the title. LOL.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:03 AM

How much fender gap did the DF springs gave you? like... one finger... two finger... two fist? lol curious
Old 01-13-2009, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

one finger rear, two fingers front
Old 01-25-2009, 09:41 PM

Tanabe DF is what I would good with.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:06 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by TRDxD
And is that with the stock wheels and tires, or with aftermarkets? I'm running 18x7.5 wheels with 225/40/18 tires on my 'D, they're about the same diameter but quite a bit wider than the stock 16x6 setup... I'm trying to decide between the DF's and the NF's when running the larger wheel/tire combo...
Old 02-12-2009, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cylon_xD
Originally Posted by TRDxD
And is that with the stock wheels and tires, or with aftermarkets? I'm running 18x7.5 wheels with 225/40/18 tires on my 'D, they're about the same diameter but quite a bit wider than the stock 16x6 setup... I'm trying to decide between the DF's and the NF's when running the larger wheel/tire combo...
where you get ur led scanner?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that was in fact with stock wheels, no nice rims on my car haha. your wheels' width isn't vastly different from the stock set up. an inch and a half won't put you in any danger of rubbing.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:22 PM
SL Member

OK, thanks for the info! Hmm... still chewing on whether I like the look of the NF's or DF's better, though...

and Kidd91, got the light kit off eBay, it's actually one of those Knight Rider scanners, but works as a Cylon scanner as well... But, It uses 8 standard incadescent bulbs, and not LEDs, mounted inside marker-light housings, mounted to a bar, ... I have a webpage on my Cylon mods here, goes into more detail, plus a youtube video of the scanner in operation, if you haven't seen it:

http://troyfrey.com/scion

TV Trivia Fact: The same production crew produced both of those original TV shows (Battlestar Galactica in the late 1970's and Knight Rider in early 1980's)... but BSG came first, and they actually re-used the Cylon scanner idea for the KITT car in Knight Rider - and not the other way around...
Old 02-12-2009, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mmmm that's why it looks familiar...its from KITT!! cool haha
Old 02-12-2009, 09:41 PM
SL Member

Hey TRDxD - when you were giving me the finger, uh, I mean, the finger METHOD of measuring the wheel to fender gap, was that when holding your finger level, horizontally? So even with the DF's there's still a little vertical gap seen from the side of the car with the stock wheels/tires? From other photos I had been looking at, many of the tires looked like they were almost an inch up into the rear wells, behind the lip of the fender - and I don't really want any overlap like that... that would be too low for me.

I DO like the look of the two photos at the bottom of this page of the charcoal xD with NF210's on, looks like very little gap - those TRD wheels and tires are pretty much the same size as my 18's and 40 height tires...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=220665
Old 02-12-2009, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On my car, holding my finger on the top middle of the tire (highest point) and keeping it horizontal, is how i measured it. as i said, with a bigger rim, theres a possibility they may tuck (overlap, as you've seen) but i do not think that it would be too drastic? however, I won't dispute what you've seen. could you show me the pictures you were takling about? otherwise, if you do like how the NF's look then take a couple days to think about it. look at as many pictures as possible, as the variety of rim/wheel combinations along with the springs will give you a true idea of how yours will sit, and what you will like.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:44 AM
SL Member

well, I have 18" rims, but then of course I have lower-height 40 series tires on the wheels, so the overall outside diameter (or height from ground to top of tire) is pretty much the exact same measurement as the stock 16" wheels with 60 series tires on them... otherwise, it would throw the speedometer and odometer way off... so in my case that would make the diameter of my wheels irrelevant, because my tires are still the same diameter as stock tires - just wider and with a bigger donut-hole, lol!

Sorry, the link to the photos I was referring to was at the bottom of my last post, just to another thread right here in this xD forum... but I guess I worded my sentence wrong, I should have said "I DO like the look of the two photos of the charcoal gray xD in the last post on this page link:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=220665

it has the 18" TRD wheels with a similar height tire as mine, so the gap would be very similar on my car...

Quick Reply: Tanabe or Tein?which are better springs?