Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Weird vibration in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 12:58 AM
SL Member

Default Weird vibration in steering wheel

I wasn't sure where to place this question, so I thought I'd put it here.

I have about 4700 miles on the xD. It's a manual without the VSC. My question is, do you guys feel a vibration in the steering wheel when going 50+ mph? The car drives straight and the steering wheel does not shake (like how it would if a tire was out of balance), however, there is a vibration that is constant in the steering wheel. The freeway I take is very smooth and I don't experience this in my other car on the same road.

I am just wondering if this is due to the electronic steering? I thought I remember the sales person saying its not a full power steering, but electronically assisted?

I am getting ready to have Scion do the oil change and plan to ask about it, but I thought I'd also ask here to see what you guys have experienced.

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check make sure all the lug nuts are tight.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you shouldnt have any vibrations in the wheel at all. i would still check to make the sure the wheels are balanced right.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:41 AM
SL Member

Thanks for the info. I'll see if the dealer can do something about it.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good thing you caught it and got it into the dealer. they SHOULD cover it if its anything serious considering you havent even hit 5k miles.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:47 AM
SL Member

I'll let ya know what I find out. I have an appointment Thursday.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:52 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by pickledchang
you shouldnt have any vibrations in the wheel at all. i would still check to make the sure the wheels are balanced right.
Good point.

The dealership said 2 of the wheels were out of balance. They claimed to have rebalanced all 4 tires for me, and for the most part now the vibration is minimal. I'm going to drive it for a bit to see if it gets worse.

Interesting that at 4800 miles they would already be out of balance. Most of the driving I do is highway and I'm easy on the car. I have the dunlops on it.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i HATE the dunlops >
Old 12-02-2008, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my steering wheel has a slight vibration too,took it to the dealer and they said they didnt feel it grrrr,its weird, i only feel it sometimes on certain roads,i dont understand
Old 12-03-2008, 02:00 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionstyle2009
my steering wheel has a slight vibration too,took it to the dealer and they said they didnt feel it grrrr,its weird, i only feel it sometimes on certain roads,i dont understand
I just saw your other thread.. and feel some vindication finally!

Even tho the dealer claimed to rebalance the wheels (16" scion alloys), it has minimized the vibration, but it is still there.

The other night while driving, I had my fiance reach over to the wheel and ask if he felt it, and he did. So at least it's not all in my head...

I've never owned a car with this electric steering and am wondering if that has something to do with it? I don't have the VSC option and it's a manual. I have about 35 psi in the tires. The roads I drive on are smooth... and it doesn't happen in my Mustang when driving the same road. It only seems to be when I'm going 60+ mph. And it doesn't matter if I have cruise on or not.

I'm going to drive it about another 500 miles and then take it in again. Something just doeesn't seem right with it. I think I have 5500 mi on it now.

Keep me posted if you find out anything.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmbreeze23
I just saw your other thread.. and feel some vindication finally!

Even tho the dealer claimed to rebalance the wheels (16" scion alloys), it has minimized the vibration, but it is still there.

The other night while driving, I had my fiance reach over to the wheel and ask if he felt it, and he did. So at least it's not all in my head...

I've never owned a car with this electric steering and am wondering if that has something to do with it? I don't have the VSC option and it's a manual. I have about 35 psi in the tires. The roads I drive on are smooth... and it doesn't happen in my Mustang when driving the same road. It only seems to be when I'm going 60+ mph. And it doesn't matter if I have cruise on or not.

I'm going to drive it about another 500 miles and then take it in again. Something just doeesn't seem right with it. I think I have 5500 mi on it now.

Keep me posted if you find out anything.
i have an automatic with 2300 miles on it, my vibration is still there, its weird, im thinking its the tires but not sure, like i said i took it to the dealer and of course they didnt feel it,i know what you mean when you say the road is smooth with one car and not with your xd, i have the same feeling, i never had a problem like this until i bought a car with electric steering, if you get any info keep me posted and i'll do the same
Old 12-06-2008, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im gonna get my wheels and tires road force balanced, its $96 plus tax, the dealer recommended it, i'll let everyone know if my weird vibartion in my steering wheel goes away,its going to the dealer tuesday wish me luck!
Old 12-06-2008, 02:49 AM
SL Member

im gonna get my wheels and tires road force balanced, its $96 plus tax, the dealer recommended it, i'll let everyone know if my weird vibartion in my steering wheel goes away,its going to the dealer tuesday wish me luck!
I'll be taking my car in late next week. There is hardly any heat coming out of the floor vent... this will probably end up being a whole new thread. When I take it in, I'm going to mention the vibration again and see what they have to say.

I'll be interested to see what you find out Tues. Good luck!