Notices

alignment toe question? anyone

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default alignment toe question? anyone

My car just came back from my local shop for an alignment. My rear toe needs to be adjusted on both wheels. There is no rear adjustment for the xd. Here are the specs. My shop told me to watch tire wear. I have 18 " wheels and tires. Will this effect tire wear?
LEFT REAR(Toe)
Actual 0.32
Before 0.32
Specified Range 0.02-0.25

RIGHT REAR(TOE)
Actual -0.08
Before -0.07
Specified Range 0.02-0.25

Last edited by scionstyle2009; 04-10-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: numbers to close together
Old 04-13-2010, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm guessing you've lowered your car and yes, incorrect toe will result in accelerated tire wear. It's usually referred to as "scrubbing" at either the inside or outside edges of the tread. Just make sure you regularly rotate your tires so the wear will be reasonably even.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've run into this too: When the car started pulling slightly to the right, I bought an alignment package for the life of the car. The print out says that rear toe settings cannot be adjusted (neither can front caster [unless you shim it] nor rear caster [no surprise]). When you see the rear suspension, you notice that there is just a beam running from wheel to wheel; there are no tie rods nor trialing links.

That got me thinking...what the heck causes left rear toe to be out by 0.20°? Bad robot? Did the car literally fall off the truck? So I visited Toyota for the 10K service, and asked the tech, who then asked the shop foreman. They recommended another alignment, and this time...the right rear toe is out by about 0.15-0.16°. Weird, but he then searches and finds out that rear toe is really nothing to be worried about, since it seems to vary with each visit to the alignment rack. Parts department confirms there are no rear shims, adjusters, nor cam bolts to be had at the counter.

After I put 4 new Bridgestone RE960s on the car (whee!!!), the alignment was playing games again, but this time, it wasn't off by as much. Since there was no uneven tire wear nor choppy-ness on the old set of OEM-spec Dunlop SP5000s, with 4/32" of tread remaining all the way around, those wacky readings of rear toe played absolutely no part in the wear of the tires on my xD, although it would be a disservice to say that improper toe setting wouldn't cause that problem on other cars/trucks.

If you're wondering why I replaced those cheesy Dunlops a bit early, it's because I was tired of hearing H-rated tires squeal all the time I take a corner a tad bit too aggressively, or hit the throttle a little less than gingerly, that's why: W-rated, for the win.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes i lowered my D and put 18" rims on it and after about 10,000 miles or so i could notice that the inside of my rear tires had much more wear than the rest. i am ordering shims for the rear end that should help with this issue kind of a ruff install but will be well worth it in the end knowing my tires are all wearing at the same rate.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so you're saying if we ever get an alignment, that the rears don't get aligned? They just are there?

I want to make sure so some garage doesn't dupe me into a 4 wheel alignment, when in fact, only two can actually be aligned.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1
so you're saying if we ever get an alignment, that the rears don't get aligned? They just are there?

I want to make sure so some garage doesn't dupe me into a 4 wheel alignment, when in fact, only two can actually be aligned.
The xD's rear can be aligned but it is very labor intensive. You measure the alignment and guess which shims are required, take off the wheel hub and install shims, then measure again and repeat if necessary. Most of the time the rear won't go out of alignment because of the simplicity and rigidity of the suspension(unless you're lowered).
Old 07-01-2010, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Vlad1024
The xD's rear can be aligned but it is very labor intensive. You measure the alignment and guess which shims are required, take off the wheel hub and install shims, then measure again and repeat if necessary. Most of the time the rear won't go out of alignment because of the simplicity and rigidity of the suspension(unless you're lowered).

obviously coilovers would affect it every time that you change the height?

I would like to get some for about 2 inches lower in summer, and go back up in the winter.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just tried to get mine aligned as well and had the same rear toe out of spec. Did some searching and interestingly stock alignment specs and alignment specs when you install TRD springs are different (even for the rear). look on page 5 of the pdf for the new alignment specs.

http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PTR11-52081inst.pdf