Notices

xD Dad needs help

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 01:40 PM

Default xD Dad needs help

Ok my daughter has an 08 xD with factory wheels and with the plastic hub caps on them and she is wanting to put some 17” rims and tires on for a better look. I have no idea where to start, any suggestions on good websites?

I would like something that will fit (no rubbing) without having to make any modification, any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-23-2010, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wheelsnext.com is where i got mine but it going to look like it's ridding high.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats the same place i get mine from they have good prices and make sure to take a look at the sale area they have alot of 17's on there all the time and they come mounted with hardware for free its a good website and they will come straight to your front door just air them up and put them on or take them down and have some one do it for ya.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think some people have put scion tc wheels on their xD's. looks good and you should be able to get them cheap(from people who got new rims and are selling their stockies).
Old 06-23-2010, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats a sick idea
Old 06-24-2010, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as new wheels/tires, I've bought from tirerack.com and discounttiredirect.com and received great products and had 0 problems. Used stock tC wheels are a good alternative since we share the same 5x100 bolt pattern. One thing you may want to consider is the tire pressure sensors in her stock wheels. They are programed to work with the ecu in her car to alert her if the pressure drops by,,let's say 10 psi (approx.). If you order and install wheels from anywhere else, her TPS light will flash/stay on in the cluster indicating the car thinks one/all of your tires are missing. Its very annoying. If you replace the wheels, I recommend you have the stock wheels/tires pulled apart and have the sensors removed and installed on the new wheels. Some ppl don't care about this, but if your daughter checks her tire press as often as my wife does, it could save you trouble in the long run.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2010, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Vlad1024
I think some people have put scion tc wheels on their xD's. looks good and you should be able to get them cheap(from people who got new rims and are selling their stockies).
very good idea or some of the emx super 7's, but theyre 18s, neither should depreciate the vehicle very much because they are OEM wheels
Old 06-24-2010, 10:46 AM

Thanks this is great info, I was wondering about what impact the change would have to the sensors.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The sensors are part of the valve stem, most of its on the inside.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2010, 12:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the Scion Tc 17" stock rims on my XD because the I wanted more options when it came to tires. With the stock XD tire size I believe you have like 2 or 3 choices in tires. The Tc rims look great and I got mine cheap off of craigslist (300 for the set of 4). If you get the Tc rims you will have to get different lug nuts (tc lugs have a flat washer end-xd has a tapered end). Buy your lugs wherever you find a good deal because it cost me $100 (20 lugs) because I got stuck at the tire place. I didn't know I needed the different lugs until they had my old wheels and tires off and the new ones tire mounted. You pay for convenience }
Lastly if you get the proper tire height for the rim there will be no gap change (ride height). I have 205-50R17. Also your speedo will be correct.
Oh yeah I keep forgetting stuff. If you get the Tc rims it fits the stock tpms valve stems and you wont have to buy these http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=3260

Last edited by Nateson; 06-24-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:06 PM

Thanks this is great help. I think I'll start looking for some stock TC rims.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:36 AM
SL Member

bump
Old 07-01-2010, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^why are you bumping his thread, i see you stopped at 50 posts
Old 07-17-2010, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Hey dad!

Don't give into the performance robbing increase in size!

Go to TRD Sparks (ggogle it) - and look for the TRD wheel options for the xD. There are some nice lightweight whhels for the car. The bigger size is a silly aesthetic thing which only reduces performance and adds a mess of other issues. Car guys chuckle at these big wheels - there is absolutely, positively no performance gain WHATSOEVER from these larger wheels.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi there Dad !
You can go to bigger diameter tires WITHOUT gettting a larger OVERALL DIAMETER tire. I did with my ride and went from 'dinky' 16" shoes to wide-tracking 18" and increased the overall diameter with only a negligible difference. Coulda stayed the same size but wanted the effect... The OFFSET of the rim will be a big factor of the possibility of rubbing. My 18" has a 35 offset and has only an occasional "tsst" when I have 5 people and a big swail in the road going at freeway speed, but that is due to the fact I have also installed 15mm rear spacers that push the tires outward toward the fenders... Dropping the car will also increase the rub tendency. Mine is stock height, and desn't look bad at all.. You can use this neat calculator I found to see if your size would change to something you do not want, and you can decide what rim diameter and offset you really want to get. LOL sorta see-before-you-buy... (without mounting the rubber) http://www.rimsntires.com/rt_specs.jsp
Hope this helps you. Aloha from Hawaii !

Last edited by bwhite; 07-17-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by slim99
Don't give into the performance robbing increase in size!

Go to TRD Sparks (ggogle it) - and look for the TRD wheel options for the xD. There are some nice lightweight whhels for the car. The bigger size is a silly aesthetic thing which only reduces performance and adds a mess of other issues. Car guys chuckle at these big wheels - there is absolutely, positively no performance gain WHATSOEVER from these larger wheels.
Some people like that "silly aesthetic thing."

And what mess of issues are you referring to? I know you are talking about larger diameter wheels, but a wider (by definition, larger) wheel will allow for a larger tire and contact patch which in turn equates to increased grip. More grip seems like a performance gain to me.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by slim99
The bigger size is a silly aesthetic thing which only reduces performance and adds a mess of other issues. Car guys chuckle at these big wheels -
Ahem, What CAR GUYS ? You ? All the Auto Enthusiasts I know have a fond appreciation for larger wheels, and I know no one that has put down larger diameter wheels. Sure putting 24" wheels on a yaris would be ridiculous but I'm sure "Dad" isn't going that route.... after all, he already got his credibility just by the inclusion in his username... "DAD"

Go for whatever you think is aesthetically pleasing in your (and your daughter's) eyes. That would also encourage more care and maintenance to the vehicle in the long run.

Bjgger ain't worser.... more like...... bigger is badder
Old 07-17-2010, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

slim99, did you not get anything you wanted for your birthday? Check his recent posts and you will see what I mean...Has not had anything positive to say in any thread...