Notices

Beauty Rings, Lugs, centercaps...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question Beauty Rings, Lugs, centercaps...?

Older thread on "how you rock your steelies" seems lost with the move to the new site. Now despite my negative comments on those who roll w/out wheel covers, I have come around a bit and was considering dressing up the black steelies for a sportier( yet budget friendly) look. But don't necessarily know where to look on line, or which (if any) big box stores carry the components I'm looking for. Maybe you could help?

I wanted to start by clear coating my rims to give them a bit of a glossy look. Have a friend w/ a paint shop and was thinking of getting an estimate or is there something anyone can reccommend for the DIY?

Chrome beauty rings? Looking for good quality a a decent price...where do you reccemmend I go?

I wanted to try finding like Orange/anodized looking lugs, but i have no clue where to go for ones w/ color and what size we need.

Finally what do I use to cover up my wheel centers? Anyplace good to browse/shop styles that fit? (is there a specific size I need for our cars for that too?)

Thanks for any input, and If you wanna post pics of your setup I'd love some inspiration/ideas.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought about dressing up my steelies with a full moon racing disc cover as well....budget-friendly but still kinda cool...but i decided to just save the loot for some 17 or 18" goodies, which i haven't done that yet!

but the best quality stuff i found at: hubcapmike.com

check it out....the stainless steel racing covers look the best IMO
Old 08-24-2009, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why dont you get the rings and paint them orange imo

jst steelies works to

Old 08-24-2009, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i got my ring from a local hubcap dealer, $40 for all 4 plastic rings. (metal ones were $100 for the set)

i use honda close end lugs, and am still hunting for a center trim.

as for clearing the rims... i us tire shine on my steelie when i get to a show and then whip it off, leaves the rim shining for days...
Old 09-03-2009, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xD_kidd91
why dont you get the rings and paint them orange imo

jst steelies works to

HAHA!!!! Damn, that is JDM mang!
Old 09-03-2009, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

junk yard, everything used to have rings, paid 5bucks each for them for a friends beetle
Old 09-03-2009, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bender_xD

I wanted to try finding like Orange/anodized looking lugs, but i have no clue where to go for ones w/ color and what size we need.

Thanks for any input, and If you wanna post pics of your setup I'd love some inspiration/ideas.
J's Racing makes what is probably as close as you'll get to orange anodized.

The thread pitch we use is 12 x 1.5

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/me...tegory_Code=L1

Although J's is a premier Honda vendor, I'd still rock these lug nuts any day of the week, forged alum anodized orange, and open ended. Good stuff.

Titek also makes some good lug nuts in a gold color that is a bit lighter than the J's depending on what your going for.

Finding orange is a tough job though, good luck with your selections.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

I found some orange ones also...They are on ebay...I was gonna powder coat mine Hot Lava but I may go this route...Any thoughts on these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20PC-...Q5fAccessories
Old 09-18-2009, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xDTool
J's Racing makes what is probably as close as you'll get to orange anodized.

The thread pitch we use is 12 x 1.5

Although J's is a premier Honda vendor, I'd still rock these lug nuts any day of the week, forged alum anodized orange, and open ended. Good stuff.

Titek also makes some good lug nuts in a gold color that is a bit lighter than the J's depending on what your going for.

Finding orange is a tough job though, good luck with your selections.
Checked these out and they look good!
I REALLY also like Yellosub's ebay one's...HOWEVER...
on the evasivemotorsports link (the second one) there is this disclaimer stating that you should NOT use these "tuner" lugs on factory wheels because of their tapered bottoms? Why the hell not? How much of a chance are you taking(real danger?) or is it physically NOT possible to use them?

NOTE: LUG NUTS ARE MADE WITH TAPERED BOTTOMS SPECIFICALLY FOR AFTERMARKET WHEELS. DO NOT USE THESE TUNER LUGS FOR YOUR FACTORY WHEELS.

CONFUSED! HELP!
Old 09-18-2009, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

The only thing that concerns me about the orange ones in the ebaly link that I posted above is that they are made out of aluminum...Anyone have experience using these type? I mean lugs hold our rims on to the car, is it really safe to be running aluminum lugs like the ones I posted in the link above?
Old 09-18-2009, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only thing that concerns me about the orange ones in the ebaly link that I posted above is that they are made out of aluminum...Anyone have experience using these type? I mean lugs hold our rims on to the car, is it really safe to be running aluminum lugs like the ones I posted in the link above?
Ive been using Ray's Aluminum lug nuts since January with no problems... in fact, when the body shop ____ed up and my rim flew off the day I got my car back, I recovered 3 of the lugs that sheered off and they all still had intact threads and minor dings. I have friends that have been using Rays and Work lugs on their cars as well, never with a single problem... the only problem comes with the anodizing, which you cannot take an impact wrench to without wearing the color on the edges of the lugs (obvious to everyone but shops who will take an impact wrench to anything) I normally specify that the lugs cannot be taken off with an impact wrench when i bring it places.

Also note that the lug nuts don't take a lot of stress on new cars with the wheels on properly. Most of the stress is placed on the hub as long as you're hub centered (which you need to be), or at least that's how the wheels are designed.

Checked these out and they look good!
I REALLY also like Yellosub's ebay one's...HOWEVER...
on the evasivemotorsports link (the second one) there is this disclaimer stating that you should NOT use these "tuner" lugs on factory wheels because of their tapered bottoms? Why the hell not? How much of a chance are you taking(real danger?) or is it physically NOT possible to use them?

NOTE: LUG NUTS ARE MADE WITH TAPERED BOTTOMS SPECIFICALLY FOR AFTERMARKET WHEELS. DO NOT USE THESE TUNER LUGS FOR YOUR FACTORY WHEELS.

CONFUSED! HELP!
Our steelies use acorn style lugs from the factory, this is for people that have alloys like tC owners, where they use a flat style lug nut.because the taper/acorn doesnt seat right on those kind of wheels.

This is why when you put tC wheels on our cars, you have to get lugs from the PO and cannot use our factory lugs.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Our steelies use acorn style lugs from the factory, this is for people that have alloys like tC owners, where they use a flat style lug nut.because the taper/acorn doesnt seat right on those kind of wheels.

This is why when you put tC wheels on our cars, you have to get lugs from the PO and cannot use our factory lugs.
Ok.....sooo, the xD COMES with taper/acorn lugs from the factory? is that what you're saying?, and that tC alloy-wheeled cars have a "flat' style lug?(not that the tC issue matters for what i'm asking about)

I can safely conclude then that the taper/acorn/"tuner" type lugs in the picture/link will work and be ok AND safe on an xD with FACTORY STEEL WHEELS?? Could i even be so bold as to say these tapered style are NECESARY if we wanted to replace lugs?
Old 09-22-2009, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bender_xD
Ok.....sooo, the xD COMES with taper/acorn lugs from the factory? is that what you're saying?, and that tC alloy-wheeled cars have a "flat' style lug?(not that the tC issue matters for what i'm asking about)

I can safely conclude then that the taper/acorn/"tuner" type lugs in the picture/link will work and be ok AND safe on an xD with FACTORY STEEL WHEELS?? Could i even be so bold as to say these tapered style are NECESARY if we wanted to replace lugs?
Yep, ever notice when you take them off the edge is tapered. Its the same seating as what the tuner lugs have.

Use this picture for reference:

Honda/Acura steelies generally use your Ball seating lug nuts over on the far edge.

Most alloys use the Mag seat in the middle (ex: tC Rims)

And "tuner lugs" are your Acorn/Tapered Seat on the left is what most Aftermarket Alloys and some factory steelies use.

As for safeness, as long as everything is installed and torqued properly, you should be fine.I rolled my rays on my steelies for a month with no problems before I got the OZ's