Notices

Need help with new tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Need help with new tires

I need to buy new tires, but the OEM 195/60R16 is driving me nuts. I'm limited to 3 tires, one being a snow tire, and the other 2 being extremely expensive.

I don't have my steelies anymore, since I taco'd one a few months after getting the car.

I have Motegi SX5
Size: 16" x 7"
Offset: 35mm

I don't know what other information is needed. I was thinking about bumping up to a 205/60R16 tire size since there are lots of choices (and more in my price range).

Would that tire size be okay? I haven't made any mods to the car other than the different rims.

I'm getting frustrated trying to find tires to fit my rims.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

tirerack.com...you can enter tire sizes in there and shop that way. if they dont have anything to your liking due to pricing, brands, etc. then its time to look into a new tire size.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eboardracer
tirerack.com...you can enter tire sizes in there and shop that way. if they dont have anything to your liking due to pricing, brands, etc. then its time to look into a new tire size.
I've been looking on tirerack.com. They're great for tires, and I've shopped through them before. For the oddball size of my xD they only have 2 all-season tires and 1 winter tire. That's why I was asking about different sizes.

I found a tire size calculator at http://www.1010tires.com/
If I move up to 205/55R16 I'll be changing about 1.4% in diameter, which is well below the 3% change I've been warned about.

I've heard Yokohamas get horrible mileage. I've been looking into a set of Michelin's I've had before, which were amazing tires for the car I had (240sx).
Old 11-03-2010, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only tires you'll find in the 195/60 16 are the OE tires that are made by Bridgestone and Dunlop. Bridgestone also was kind enough to make a blizzak version in the OE size too.
Toyota spec'd a size that didn't exist before the xD then got these two companies to make them.

The closest you'll be able to get to the overall diameter is with a 215/55 16, but there will be less choices than in the 205/60 16 and they will cost a little more.
I've been running the 205/60 for most of the 95,000 miles I have on my car. They are just fine, no rubbing or anything like that. one thing to keep in mind is that your speedometer will be off a little (2 mph slow at 75 mph).
As for the the tires I don't think you'd be going wrong getting the Michelin, or Yokohama, they are both great brands and mileage will depend on the individual tire model.
Hope this helps some.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by spinthetension
I've been looking on tirerack.com. They're great for tires, and I've shopped through them before. For the oddball size of my xD they only have 2 all-season tires and 1 winter tire. That's why I was asking about different sizes.

I found a tire size calculator at http://www.1010tires.com/
If I move up to 205/55R16 I'll be changing about 1.4% in diameter, which is well below the 3% change I've been warned about.

I've heard Yokohamas get horrible mileage. I've been looking into a set of Michelin's I've had before, which were amazing tires for the car I had (240sx).
Here's a little tip, if you haven't tried it yet... that might help you in your search. For example, the stock alloy wheel size on the tC is a 215/45R17.
If you look up only that size, you'll see a few choices for replacement tires/brands.
However, if you look up a tire size of 225/45R17, you see a lot more choices/types & prices. I only increased the width of the tire by a mear 10mm's, which is a pretty small amount. So it doesnt affect how it mounts, looks, or handles very much, however, because the 225/45R17 is a much more popular tire size, you have a lot more choices AND generally better pricing because of the increased "competition" of different manufacturers.
You might try using that same type of logic on the size of your wheels and see if that helps.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.rimsntires.com/rt_specs.jsp

i used that site for determining exactly what i wanted and what was actually doable. since you dont seem to be pushing boundaries on sizes and stance, this will get you the info you want.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info. I didn't think I could put 17" tires on a 16" rim??
I'm finding quite a lot of choices for 205/55-16. That website I linked in a previous post has helped me tinker around with sizes, and also tells me what the diameter difference will be and the affect on my odometer. I'm going to check out the other website that was linked. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-04-2010, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default alternative tires

I have a set of Kelly Fierce on my car. They didn't cost alot and I have had them about a year and just drove from Tucson to Seattle and back. I got 205/55/16's and they are very quiet. Very satisfied with my choice. They have a unique tread which attracted me to them
Old 11-05-2010, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Desertritz
I have a set of Kelly Fierce on my car. They didn't cost alot and I have had them about a year and just drove from Tucson to Seattle and back. I got 205/55/16's and they are very quiet. Very satisfied with my choice. They have a unique tread which attracted me to them
I was looking at some Continental All-Season tires on tirerack. They have an 8.6 rating, and did the best in all weather driving tests. I was also looking at some Michelin Pilot's.

Winters get brutal up here in Chicago, so I need a good non-winter tire since I can't afford winter AND 3-season tires (spring, fall, summer lol).
Old 11-20-2010, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the Continental Extreme Contact DWS for the same reason. Haven't tried them in the snow, but they are well rated.
Check the link regarding sizing: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192387
Fortunately I was able to get them on a "buy 3, get 1 free" deal. Came out to about $115/tire installed.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

jdgriawald Please report back when the snow flies. I would like to know how good those tires are in the snow. Also what size did you go with?
Old 11-20-2010, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for tires i have 205/70/17 Kumho Ecsta ASX Ultra High Performance All-Season tires. got them off tire rack, reasonably priced and so far are brilliant. tons better then the stock rubber. from the sound of things, snow is possibly on its way, so they also soon get the ultimate test.

Last edited by ThisorThatxD; 11-20-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: odd font
Old 11-20-2010, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by andrewjc
jdgriawald Please report back when the snow flies. I would like to know how good those tires are in the snow. Also what size did you go with?
Went with the 215/55-16s. Look great, great in the rain, and way quieter than the OEMs.
It snowed last night, but not enough to make a difference. Winter promises to give me something to test them on I think.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I decided to go with the Michelin HydroEdge Green X tires. I went with 215/55-16" tires. Hopefully they get here soon so I can get them broken in before the big snows hit.

I almost got the Conti's, but there were a lot of reviews about them having soft sidewalls. I have really bad luck with potholes, so I decided not to go with them. The Michelins had really good reviews, and have a mileage warranty of 90k. We'll see.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I'm at the dealership getting the tires installed. First, they couldn't find the tires, then they told me they might rub, etc. I went with 215/55-16. According to my calculations they should fit fine on oem rims. I'm worried now....should I be?
Old 12-03-2010, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

unless you are driving on snow and ice 95% of the time, don't waste your money on snow tires. get all seasons. want a little more performance out of all seasons. get some Bridgestone RE040's. that's what I use.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by spinthetension
So I'm at the dealership getting the tires installed. First, they couldn't find the tires, then they told me they might rub, etc. I went with 215/55-16. According to my calculations they should fit fine on oem rims. I'm worried now....should I be?
So did you get the 215s? Rubbing is no problem at all; only 20mm wider overall (roughly .35" on each side of rim). Only issue is that 215s are not as common a size as the 205s. Relax, you'll be fine.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

do you guys think 215/60R16 would fit on stock rims ?

I am getting to the mileage where I am starting to look for tire replacements, I would like an more aggressive all season / A/T tire - seems a 215/60R16 is about the smallest I could find on tire rack, not sure if they would fit though. its close to the size in the above post + the ones im looking at are only 4 pds heavier each than the stock tire so shouldnt be much of a difference if they will fit

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by derekls; 12-04-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by derekls
do you guys think 215/60R16 would fit on stock rims ?

I am getting to the mileage where I am starting to look for tire replacements, I would like an more aggressive all season / A/T tire - seems a 215/60R16 is about the smallest I could find on tire rack, not sure if they would fit though. its close to the size in the above post + the ones im looking at are only 4 pds heavier each than the stock tire so shouldnt be much of a difference if they will fit

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
They'll fit, but it's almost a 4% difference on the speedo. If you're set on a 215 go with 55s. They are closest as far as circumference is concerned.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

235/50/16

Quick Reply: Need help with new tires