Notices

Need help with new tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have just over 50,000 miles on the OEM Bridgestone tires. As I was doing an oil change this morning, I noticed that they are bald all around. I do rotate th at every 10,000 mile oil change. Wear is very even, but I'm disappointed that I needed tires this soon. I decided to give the Dunlops a try. Back when I drove a Benz, I got more miles out of Dunlops than any other brand.

As most of you have probably noticed, no tire shops stock the OEM size. I called the Scion dealership and they will have the tires tomorrow and will install them Christmas eve morning. I want good tires, because I will be traveling in the snow for the holidays, including towing the camper for new years.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
I have just over 50,000 miles on the OEM Bridgestone tires. As I was doing an oil change this morning, I noticed that they are bald all around. I do rotate th at every 10,000 mile oil change. Wear is very even, but I'm disappointed that I needed tires this soon. I decided to give the Dunlops a try. Back when I drove a Benz, I got more miles out of Dunlops than any other brand.

As most of you have probably noticed, no tire shops stock the OEM size. I called the Scion dealership and they will have the tires tomorrow and will install them Christmas eve morning. I want good tires, because I will be traveling in the snow for the holidays, including towing the camper for new years.
50K is pretty much above average for OEM tires in my experience.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1
50K is pretty much above average for OEM tires in my experience.
I agree I only got about 25-30K on mine before I had to replace them.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mcbrew I'm impressed you got 50K out of OEM tires, but why not opt for a different size and open up more options for the same price?
Old 12-24-2010, 12:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad to hear 50k is not unusually low. The dealership ended up getting the Turanzas instead of the Dunlops. I'm sitting in the customer lounge as I type. iPad+free wifi makes the time go by faster! They're also taking care of the brake recall. I didn't think there would be this many people getting work done on Christmas eve!

Andrew, I thought about bumping up to 205s, but I got a much better deal at the dealership than any of the tire shops around town. For 4 tires plus an alignment, the best deal at a tire shop (including $40 off each tire) was $805 out the door!!! I am going to be paying less than $500 out the door here. Fourth tire is $1 and I have my 20% off discount card. They only charge $71 for an alignment at the dealership. Most tire shops charge $120 or more around here.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mcbrew glad to hear it is all working out for you. I understand finding a bargain at this time of year with other priorities takes precedence. Enjoy the Holidays and let us know how the new tires work out for you.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The new tires and new alignment feel GREAT! I am certain that they adjusted something else, because the clutch never felt so good in his car. Nothing mentioned in the paperwork, but I want to go back and ask the mechanic what he did. This clutch has felt funky since the day I test drove it, but I chalked it up to the lack of low end torque with these engines.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Finally Found Nice 195/60 16 Tires..other than Bridgestone or Dunlop!

Hello,

I recently found some 195/60 16 tires that fit the xD and do not wear out in 30,000 miles.

I love them. Better in the snow and rain than the Bridgestone and Dunlop...

Achilles Platinum tires...Hard to find but worth it. I paid $62/tire online.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:30 PM
SL Member

Would these fit a 2008 xd?
http://compare.ebay.com/like/1804370...=263602_304662
Old 01-11-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by rld082982

Yes, they would. Only really good if you need snow ties though.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:40 PM
SL Member

I planned on just getting 2 front snow tires... I don't need all 4 do I?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When buying snow tires, you should always get four. You want the same amount of traction and grip all the way around. My father got snows on just the drive wheels of his car and the car felt a bit squirrely on dry pavement.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:11 AM

if you have Costco in your area, try there. i just bought a set of 215/45 17's for my xD, they had 'em in stock, and they were $604 for the set of four. oh, did i mention they're Michelin Pilot Sport AS/Plus ?
THESE TIRES ARE AWESOME! i would recommend these to anyone who drives their car all year.
good luck,
Old 01-14-2011, 07:09 PM
SL Member

Picked up 2 bridgestone blizzak tires for $85 each
Old 01-14-2011, 07:10 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by turbo_geoduck
if you have Costco in your area, try there.
chicken bake.... /drool
Old 01-15-2011, 01:15 AM

Having a tough time finding an online dealer to sell me those Achilles tires. Tried calling/emailing a couple of them with no success.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by turbo_geoduck
if you have Costco in your area, try there. i just bought a set of 215/45 17's for my xD, they had 'em in stock, and they were $604 for the set of four. oh, did i mention they're Michelin Pilot Sport AS/Plus ?
THESE TIRES ARE AWESOME! i would recommend these to anyone who drives their car all year.
good luck,
Sam's is also a good place to shop for tires...Sears is ok if their are any sales going on.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Michelin is the ____ when it comes to tires. I had the Pilot Sports on my 240SX and they were AMAZING. I have the Hydro Edge on my xD and so far they have been AMAZING! They have done great in a few inches of snow, slush, and rain.

Oh, and I ordered mine from Tire Rack. They'll let you send them to an authorized installer, or to your house. They'll also give you price quotes for disposal fees, etc.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:42 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by libima
The only tires you'll find in the 195/60 16 are the OE tires that are made by Bridgestone and Dunlop. Bridgestone also was kind enough to make a blizzak version in the OE size too.
Toyota spec'd a size that didn't exist before the xD then got these two companies to make them.

The closest you'll be able to get to the overall diameter is with a 215/55 16, but there will be less choices than in the 205/60 16 and they will cost a little more.
I've been running the 205/60 for most of the 95,000 miles I have on my car. They are just fine, no rubbing or anything like that. one thing to keep in mind is that your speedometer will be off a little (2 mph slow at 75 mph).
As for the the tires I don't think you'd be going wrong getting the Michelin, or Yokohama, they are both great brands and mileage will depend on the individual tire model.
Hope this helps some.
I got BFGoodrich Advantage T/A (Grand Touring All-Season)
<LI class=specs>Size: 205/60R16
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 92HLoad Index 92 = 1389lbs (630kg) per tire
Speed Rating "H" = 130mph (210kph)

UTQG: Treadwear: 560
Traction: A
Temperature: A
560 A A

I had these put on about a week ago and have probably about 500 miles on them. They look like truck tires on the car and are huge. I have the optional scion 16" rims, not the black steelies. I hated the dunlops and at 48k miles, couldn't wait to get them off the car.

I am wondering if I didn't buy the right tire. These new ones are great going down the road and have a nice firm ride. When in a low speed turn, they sound like truck tires and you can hear noise - like a low rumbling. How would I know if they are rubbing? Still have stock suspension.

The car also seems like it doesn't roll as easy. I know that sounds crazy, but when accelerating, it seems like it's harder to get up to speed. The car is a manual. They don't weigh that much more than the stock tires did. Perhaps cause the other tires were almost bald.... now there's more resistance? Also, how off is the speedo now?

My biggest concern is now the steering is not as responsive on the freeway. I do mostly freeway driving, so this is a problem. I feel like now I have to have 2 hands on the wheel to keep the car going straight. It doens't pull though, like it's out of alignment. I feel like I'm sorta driving on icy conditions.... and when making lane changes, it's slow to respond in the steering. Is this normal? Is it due to the different size tire?

I got these at Sams and am thinking about taking them back. I was thinking maybe the Goodyear RSA 205-55-16. My BF is on his 2nd set of them for his Vibe. He's had no problems with them and has gotten close to 70k on each set. Tire rack does not rate them very well due to driving in snow. He went from a mustang to a vibe, so he thinks they are great and probably doesn't know any better. lol

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I really probably need to take these back and get something else. And for what its worth, I was advised Michelin makes BF Goodrich? Is that true?
Old 10-02-2011, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmbreeze23
I got BFGoodrich Advantage T/A (Grand Touring All-Season)
<LI class=specs>Size: 205/60R16
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 92HLoad Index 92 = 1389lbs (630kg) per tire
Speed Rating "H" = 130mph (210kph)

UTQG: Treadwear: 560
Traction: A
Temperature: A
560 A A

I had these put on about a week ago and have probably about 500 miles on them. They look like truck tires on the car and are huge. I have the optional scion 16" rims, not the black steelies. I hated the dunlops and at 48k miles, couldn't wait to get them off the car.

I am wondering if I didn't buy the right tire. These new ones are great going down the road and have a nice firm ride. When in a low speed turn, they sound like truck tires and you can hear noise - like a low rumbling. How would I know if they are rubbing? Still have stock suspension.

The car also seems like it doesn't roll as easy. I know that sounds crazy, but when accelerating, it seems like it's harder to get up to speed. The car is a manual. They don't weigh that much more than the stock tires did. Perhaps cause the other tires were almost bald.... now there's more resistance? Also, how off is the speedo now?

My biggest concern is now the steering is not as responsive on the freeway. I do mostly freeway driving, so this is a problem. I feel like now I have to have 2 hands on the wheel to keep the car going straight. It doens't pull though, like it's out of alignment. I feel like I'm sorta driving on icy conditions.... and when making lane changes, it's slow to respond in the steering. Is this normal? Is it due to the different size tire?

I got these at Sams and am thinking about taking them back. I was thinking maybe the Goodyear RSA 205-55-16. My BF is on his 2nd set of them for his Vibe. He's had no problems with them and has gotten close to 70k on each set. Tire rack does not rate them very well due to driving in snow. He went from a mustang to a vibe, so he thinks they are great and probably doesn't know any better. lol

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I really probably need to take these back and get something else. And for what its worth, I was advised Michelin makes BF Goodrich? Is that true?
Why in the hell did you buy those in a 205/60/16? A 205/55/16, 215/55/16, and 225/50/16 would have been more like the OEM size. You have a tire that is wider and taller so their is more rotating mass and the tire has larger contact patch. Those two things are probably the reason why you are noticing a difference in the way the car drives. The RSA's are ok but usually they are overpriced.

Quick Reply: Need help with new tires