Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Jack points?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Jack points?

I did a search and couldn't find the info on the jack points for the xD. I'm not referring to the scissor jack points on the sides, but a primary point for the jack in the fore/aft area of the vehicle.

The only point I saw was behind the front axle/engine area that looked like a metal cube welded to the subframe that had an arrow pointing forward and back. That seemed a little far back for the front point. Am I missing it? I didn't see a tow hook on the back either though I wasn't looking.

So where are the current owners putting their floor jacks for the xDs?
Old 02-05-2009, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the jack point to the rear is right in the middle it's in the manual somewhere. I don't remember for the front
Old 02-05-2009, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the car has arrows on under the rockers I thought. or read the manual

oops, tC has the arrows. I just use the points for scissor jack tho. I don't care
Old 02-05-2009, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't see a tow hook on the back either though I wasn't looking.
There are two "tow hooks" on the back... one on each side. Check out this tow hitch installation page and you'll see that it mounts to the tow eyes in the back.

http://fileresource.sitepro.com/file...5CBD724D3D.pdf
Old 02-05-2009, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been through the manual backwards and forwards. iirc the tC didn't have the points marked in the manual either. Oh well, the block behind the axle worked well enough. Had trouble getting to it with my jack though, had to go in from the side.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hey all, I'd like to see a bit more discussion on this as well. I put my new wheels on yesterday and just used the scissor jack on the side notches but I'm wondering what others do for safe placement of a floor jack on the xD. Do you place the floor jack on the same side notches when swapping wheels/doing oil changes or...? When I looked at how the dealer lifted the car it appeared the hoist was placed in about the same area of these side notches. Just wondering what everyone else does as the pics are kind of vague in the manual and I know most of us want to get our cars up in the air sooner or later. I appreciate any input.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's a chunk of subframe behind each axle that seems to work up front as a jack point. The rear point is way the hell up in the air. My low profile jack doesn't get the front of the car high enough, my SUV jack isn't low enough for the front. I can only get the rear high enough for jack stands for tire rotation with the SUV jack.

The notches are good for jack stands. I've used a floor jack on the notches, though I ended up bending one on the tC so be aware of placement of the cup.

It'd be nice if I could get a jack that had a low enough clearance for the tC (4" would be nice) and could bring the vehicle up 20". As is I have to do a jack shuffle for the xD and use 2x4s for the tC.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default I ran into this Same Issue..

I ran into this same issue. What I ended up doing is putting a 6 - 8" section of 2x4 on my jack and jacking it up near the jack points, but lining up the 2x4 with the ridge so that it was supported across the
full 6-8" of wood, and the ridge was able to sink into the wood a bit rather than bending on the jack. It worked, and it didn't bend or scratch anything, but it wasn't my favorite solution. I'd like to find better lift points.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-21-2021 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 07-17-2009, 12:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'd think they built this thing only to be maintained at a shop with a lift. Great everyday driver, but man can it be a chore. Maybe I'm just used to the tC.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What, you don't all have a lift at home? Geez.. how do you get any work done?

Even on my lift, I use wood blocks so the pinch seam to spread out the weight. My VW Golf was the same. The only thing I find annoying is that the jack points are so far out towards the edge that I have to center the car between the lift posts so that the lift arms don't protrude too far in.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default I spoke with the 'Master Mechanic' at the dealer yesterday about this..

I spoke with the 'Master Mechanic' at the dealer yesterday about this. He confirmed that he places the hoist on the pinch rail at the notched points. He noted that this works for the hoist because it lifts straight up but placing a floor jack on the notches could bend them because it doesn't lift straight up. For the back he suggested placing the floor jack to the inside of the pinch rail, just in front of the rear tire. I had initially done this with a piece of wood to spread the weight some, but it didn't seem like a suitable spot so I opted out of that option, but according to the mechanic it's a safe location. For the front he pointed out a section of the subframe which is probably the same as kuo34 suggested, it's hard to describe without pics. I like the 2x4 on the pinch rail idea best.

Does anyone lift one whole side of the car at one time perhaps by placing their jack at the center of the pinch rail, or just go corner to corner?

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-21-2021 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 07-23-2009, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I never thought about how a floor jack doesn't lift straight up.

It's just so hard to tell where the safe places are to place a jack. It'd be nice if they included that information in the manual, though I might be overthinking the whole thing. I'd just rather not have the metal I'm relying on to hold the vehicle up to buckle while I'm beneath it.

Good info damd. As for lifting at the middle of the pinch bar, I prefer to lift the front or rear up first (usually the front since I'll probably let the oil drain while I'm rotating tires).
Old 07-21-2021, 08:51 PM
SL Member

I recognize that this is an old (very old) thread. However, I'm hoping someone may still pick this up. There are two arrows near the center of the vehicle in the front. One is on a cube-ish shaped attachment with what appears to be stiff foam or rubber in it. The other is where
the Transaxle mounts to the frame. I've attached two pictures, a wide view and a close up. The close up has loupes (magnifying lenses) highlighting the positions I'm talking about. Can anyone positively identify the jack point (for a floor jack) from these two pictures?

Does anyone have a picture or positive id on a similar jack point in the rear?

-Kokomodo

Wide view.

Close up showing the two areas of interest.

___
Old 10-27-2021, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is super old, but the front lift point is the arrow on the right in your photo -- where the transaxle connects to the subframe. Put the jack under the subframe where that little divot of metal is.

I don't know what the other cube is. I always assumed it was a sacrificial anode to help postpone the inevitable rust.
Old 04-27-2024, 03:11 PM
SL Member

Default Rear Jack Point

Is the rear center floor jack point covered by the rear bumper fascia? There is a bar that goes across there, but it is partially covered by the rear bumper plastic. I don't see any other structure that seems to correspond to the point indicated in the Owner's Manual.