tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

HID Retrofit (Custom)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hitm@n
1. I have a couple questions. Like when mounting the projectors how do u know there being mounted level? How would u test them.. i mean if iam in my house how would i plug them in?

2. when prying the headlights open are they very fragile?

3. if i have an s2000 headlight (the whole light) does that have a bezel. (which i can use?)

4. And wiring in angel eyes? where do i wire them into? Do i need anything else?

Iam sorry but iam getting everythign together and just wanetd to know these things b4 i started. Any other advise is also great.
You can power them with the power supply from a computer. Here's how:
http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3908

When opening the headlights you have to make sure you have baked them well. They do take some effort in pulling them apart, but use common sense. If it feels like they aren't going to move at all, the glue probably hasn't melted yet.

Uhhh I'm not sure about your s2000 question, but I can answer your one about the angel eyes. Wire them to your parking lights. The angel eyes, however, are VERY fragile, so be careful not to bend them or pull the wires too hard.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i mark the cutoff line of the other unmodified headlight on a wall and align the projector to that. i use an old computer power supply to power anything 12v. to power a ballast, you'll need on that has at least 8 amps on the 12v rail. most already do.

the headlights are somewhat fragile from being heated up. they made crackling sounds when i took mine apart.

depending on the year, the s2000 have different bezels but they're just a chrome trim piece that fits right around the projector glass. you might want to get something else that covers up the entire projector and the nuts and bolts. also, be adviced that the s2000 projector is part of the entire headlight bracket and they don't come off like the tsx or other projectors. you'll need to cut away and rest of the bracket and drill your own mounting holes. its not difficult and is definately worth the effort for the s2k projectors.

you can wire the angel eyes to your parking lights. you probably don't need a relay but for $5, why risk it?

oops, projectD already answered most of the questions
Old 08-15-2005, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump
Old 08-15-2005, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

didn't make much progress on the retro these past few days. i was test fitting again the other night and realised i mounted the projector too low. i'll just elongate the mounting holes and it should be a quick fix. i'm getting a free pair of E46 single xenon chrome shrouds so i'm waiting for that to arrive before making more adjustments. and i've been busy painting the radiator cooling plate from doc isotope since that'll be an easier project to finish first.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

patty cake patty cake
how many tC head light can you bake?
Old 08-17-2005, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by maximus96
didn't make much progress on the retro these past few days. i was test fitting again the other night and realised i mounted the projector too low. i'll just elongate the mounting holes and it should be a quick fix. i'm getting a free pair of E46 single xenon chrome shrouds so i'm waiting for that to arrive before making more adjustments. and i've been busy painting the radiator cooling plate from doc isotope since that'll be an easier project to finish first.
After reading your first post on this retro i was intrested. I got all my parts from hidplanet.com and ebay. I did the retro and man what a project. But i finally finished after taking my bumper off 3 times, baking the headlights for the 3rd time and i came back from a work trip a week later and noticed water in my drivers headlight. But i got it aligned as close as i can and got a nice cutoff. here are some pics of the process. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/scott8.../ph//my_photos I'll take more pics tonight and post it! thanks again for the great info on the retro and also a BIG thanks to integsrtite for answering all my questions and being patient with me!

Parts list:
2004 Acura tsx projectors
D2s bulbs from hidplanet.com
I had previous ballast and wiring from a plug and play kit
Dremel
Caulk
Misc. hardware
And time!
Old 08-17-2005, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very nice! why did you need to use caulk? if it was for a sealant, caulk doesn't hold up well against water...
Old 08-17-2005, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very nice! why did you need to use caulk? if it was for a sealant, caulk doesn't hold up well against water...
hahah your right! I found out last night. What do you suggest to use?
Old 08-17-2005, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SuperWTC
i used silicone on my maxima. once it dries it forms a great sealant against water. and you can peel it off if you really need to.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maximus96

are you using relays with hid setup or are you using the 9006 adapters. please tell because this is the only thing thats holding me up from starting this project on my own
Old 08-17-2005, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by freeflowing
maximus96

are you using relays with hid setup or are you using the 9006 adapters. please tell because this is the only thing thats holding me up from starting this project on my own
always use a relay, especially with these hid ballasts. don't be fooled by the marketing scheme of the 'plug and play' kits. sure they will power up from the stock plug, but eventually you'll melt your stock wiring. that'll be a b!tch and very costly to fix. a relay harness is just a cheap insurance and there's no good reason not to use one.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so do you can i use a kit that has the promper fuse rating and also has relays already built in to protect the stock wiring

check out this harness on this liknk to see what im talking about

http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=50
Old 08-17-2005, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i guess thats a fair price for a harness. i usually make my own, the parts cost no more than $10... i use a 30amp fuse to the battery, then 15amp on each of the two power wires for the ballasts...i don't know if the xenondepot harness include the additional fuses. its redundant and you can easily add those yourself...again, cheap insurance.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SuperWTC
i used silicone on my maxima. once it dries it forms a great sealant against water. and you can peel it off if you really need to.
a

I did use clear silicon, but i used a caulking gun to dispense it. so thats where i got confused. so i did do it right. i think that back of the projector is where my water is coming in. where the rubber seal is.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what did you use to cut the sheet metal?
Old 08-18-2005, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ProjectD
what did you use to cut the sheet metal?
tin snipes to cut out the shape and a dremel for the hole. the piece i found wasn't very thick, but i did waste a whole cutting disc cutting the inside hole. and those reinforced cutting discs are $$$
Old 08-19-2005, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hm... how much would it cost if i ask u to help me make one??
Old 08-19-2005, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maximus96,

any update on the fitment yet??
Old 08-19-2005, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

will definately have an update this weekend. i need to get my act together and get this done and finish the writeup so i can enter it in the august tech article contest.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by whitexa
hm... how much would it cost if i ask u to help me make one??
hm...i'm not sure yet. i need to finish mine first before i can consider doing it for other people.

Quick Reply: HID Retrofit (Custom)